Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

How to Remove Old Stinky Carpet: A Complete Step-by-Step Guide

$32

Who likes nasty worn out carpet?
Not me and I bet you don't either. Unfortunately, our kids kinda spilled some glue and other unmentionable items over the last 6 years (in addition to the fact that we didn't like the color).
Carpet removal can be a lumbering job but I put together a checklist on what to do to make it easier. Plus, you'll want to check out the subfloors to make sure your new flooring
how to remove old stinky carpet a complete step by step guide, diy, flooring, how to
Start in a corner
Start in a corner
Fold carpet into thirds
Fold carpet into thirds
Cut along the fold
Cut along the fold
Padding has staples
Padding has staples
Pull up padding by hand, but use gloves (unlike me).
Remove staples in the subfloor
Remove staples in the subfloor
Secure loose subfloor panels
Secure loose subfloor panels
Home Repair Tutor

• Janice Presecky

I have carpet in our basement it has been glued down on the cement floor how does one get that stuff up It has been down thers for about 20 years it is getting to look pretty nasty I have leaned it many times Help!!!!

• Laurie Harry

@Janice Presecky I just recently removed my basement carpeting and it was surprisingly easy - two men and a couple of utility knives and a scraper shovel. The carpet probably isn't glued completely down, just in strips. Once you scrape down the strip, the rest should come up easily. It took them just a couple of hours and some of that time was moving the furniture around. We do have some glue residue still on the floor but have been living with it by covering with some area rugs. Eventually we'll tackle getting that up and painting the concrete.

• Gaz Titch

Great help, i have replaced some old carpets in my flat and fitting some new but have using a steam mop to clean up some hardwood floors and also also tried it on the older carpets and it done a pretty decent job to be fair.