From Ladder to Super Storage

$50

Sometimes you really just need some extra storage. This easy DIY not only turns a ladder into super storage, it creates a lovely focal point in your home! Double Win!

All you need is a ladder – old or new, a few extra timber battens, wooden planks for the shelves and paint for a fun twist.

easy diy from ladder to super storage, how to, painting, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas, storage ideas

STEP 1:

Remove the hardware from one side of the ladder, using a chisel and hammer. The remaining arm will be enough to stabilise the shelf.

STEP 2:

Add the shelf supports: measure the height of the existing rungs and install a batten on the opposite side of the ladder at the corresponding height.

STEP 3:

If your ladder consists of treated wood, then first prime the ladder before painting it. I painted it in a deep charcoal after the primer had dried.

STEP 4:

I painted the shelves in varying colours of blue to create a graded effect. See how I got the dreamy ombre effect here.

easy diy from ladder to super storage

STEP 5:

Once they’ve dried, screw-fix the shelves to the supports from underneath the shelves.

easy diy from ladder to super storage

And that's super storage done!

So go on – turn that old broken ladder into something awesome!

Happy DIY-ing!

Homeology.co.za

• LaReda Robbins

love this. What are the differences in the shelf lengths going from bottom to top?

• Janet

I was going to do the same thing. I have a Christmas Village and saw this display on Pintrest. I have been looking for a ladder since. We have an old wooden ladder in the garage but it was not the kind with steps on both sides. I never thought about adding "steps" on the other side like she did here. Duh! OK this just went on my list of projects! Right after the garage organization. This site and Pintrest are becoming dangerous! LOL

• Shuganne

Would you have to screw the shelves to the ladder? I'm wondering about taking it apart and moving it to another room, up the stairs, etc. I also don't see the individual shelf supports, but I'll jump over to your website to see what I can see there. I love the graduated colors on the shelves! Keep styling!!

• Homeology.co.za

Thanks so much!! Yes, you definitely have to screw-fix the shelves to the supports for stability. But then you can just unscrew again if you have to move it to another space

• Stacy VanCise

I did this a few years ago in reds for my mothers Christmas village. It fit on a full 4 by 8 sheet of plywood in her living room when she moved she didn't have that kind of space anymore. These ladders converted to shelves offer an amazing amount of shelf space on them

• Jerri

Love it! Great colors