Hang an Indoor Herb Garden

$8

I love cooking with fresh herbs, but when I go to a supermarket or farmers market, the fresh herbs there are always in amounts that I can’t seem to use before they’ve spoiled. I started thinking about how to have a great indoor herb garden and began looking for herb garden ideas. When I found some lovely mugs on sale, I knew I was going to make a kitchen herb garden that I could snip from to use whenever I needed.

Step 1: Put the herbs in a container
The mugs I got were large, so they fit my little herb plants beautifully. Step 2: Put sticky hooks up
I used command hooks because I know they can hold the weight. I just followed the instructions on the package (though not in the video). Step 3: Hang up the herbs
Because mugs have handles, I was able to just slip them right on the hooks. If you use another type of container (like a mason jar) just securely tie a string around the lip and hang that on the hook.
Then, enjoy fresh herbs within easy reach of what you’re making.
And they really brighten up my kitchen.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• 3 mugs  (Dollar Store)
  • 3 large sized command hooks  (home depot)
  • Parsley  (home depot)

• Anny Palanzi

You have a great idea and I'm going to steal it from you! I've never had success with growing herbs....plants, yes. herbs, no...So what I need to know is what kind of soil do you use and how do you keep it drained? Also, do you use any plant food for them, and if so, any special formula? Thanks, Anny...anny1914@msn.com

• Juliebd

I found basil plants that grew in water- no soil needed! I had it growing in a glass all summer right next to my kitchen window- just needed to change the water every few days. Just snipped off a top bunch when I needed it. I occasionally stuck a few flowers in also - very pretty and useful!

• EJ

I would think any organic potting soil would work - most herbs are drought hardy so drainage could be an issue - I would put small rocks in the bottom of the cups and let them dry out between waterings.

• Kristin

What did you do to allow drainage? I always seem to overwater no matter how careful I am!

• Ellen

Make sure the soil is dry below the surface before you water. After watering, wait for an hour or so, to let the soil soak it up., then tip the pot or cup, holding onto the plant and soil to pour out any excess water. A fool-proof method!

• Martha Anne Horning

Put a few small pebbles in the bottom of the cup before you push in your plant. When you water you will have little space for excess when you water, let them sit upright then follow Ellen's advice above.

• Martha Anne Horning

• Karonshaye

Don't they need sunlight? Love this idea! Thanks!

• Linda Bogut

How do you water the plants?

• Heidi Aguilar

How do you keep the plants from outgrowing the mugs?

• Nicola Crowhurst

When they are root bound, split the plant, add soil and only half of the plant back in. Put the rest in a garden or give as a gift once stable.

• Shawna Bailey

I'm using the herbs all the time. So constantly trimming them keeps them from outgrowing the mugs.

• Dianne

What about basil. Mine always dies what do I do wrong?

• Monica Bella Slonaker

My basil grows best when humid.

• Ellen Fisher

Great idea! Think I will do this on my kitchen window.

• Katrina Lazenby

Do you put rocks or something in the bottom since they need drainage? Looks super cute!

• Rosanne

besides adding rocks for drainage, I would also drill 3 small holes to let the water drain, then rehang when the dripping stops

• Shawna Bailey

I don't put rocks in or make holes. I'm just careful not to over water them. I didn't want holes in the bottom because I don't want water dripping on my counter. it's been almost a month now and they are doing fine. Parsley the only herb that I use that's fussy so I've been keeping an extra close eye on it.

• Sum11988274

Since plants need drainage to prevent root rot, but you want to avoid the extra weight of rocks, I find that in any planter, indoors or out, it is best to use packing peanuts.. The styrofoam is light weight , durable and doesn't add weight when trying to move around a large planter, especially outdoors

• Bilinda Law-Morley

Hi. Love this project idea. But I was wondering about the hooks. Any time I use adhesive hooks, they fall off even with no weight on them. Is "commander" a specific type or is it a brand please? TIA

• Shawna Bailey

command hooks are 3m's brand of sticky hooks and are much stronger than other brands. I highly recommend using them.

• Maria Garcia

Miss Bilinda, make sure when you put up the hooks, you allow at least an hour before putting weight on it.

• Rachel-Ann

I find that using Command hooks on very smooth surfaces work remarkably well as opposed to surfaces that have small bumps and roughness or any slight texture at all. Be sure to choose a smooth area of wall or clean an area of tiled backsplash with rubbing alcohol before applying the hook and leave to adhere at least a few hours before putting the cup on it. Command strips need absolute smooth and clean to work well. And make sure to use the correct hook to support the weight of the mug: the 5 pound hook should be the lowest weight capacity to use in my opinion, just to be safe, especially if using very cute mugs you don't want to lose. Love this project by the way!

• Vrohde

I want to put a hanging light ( the old chain ones ) in my bedroom. My problem is I have to put a hook over the bed area. Can I get a command hook to support this? It is not real heavy ( maybe 6-8 lbs. )
    • M.rivera

how do you water keep them from drying up

• Yofrendonna

I tried this. The herbs stained my wall
  • Chris

looks great. what a good idea. I'm going to try it. thanks for sharing