Updated Switch Plate

We are in the process of redoing the kids' rooms, and since I love details, I decided to update their switch and outlet covers as well. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I am thrifty, so I took the old covers and hit them with a coat of white paint.
For Cassi's room, I took some of the old almond covers and spray painted them white, since the tissue paper I wanted to use had a white background.
Since her room is going to be pink, black, white and gray, I went with this black and white design. I cut a piece a little larger than the cover for each one.
I put a coat of modpodge on the front of the cover, and lay it down on top of the back of the tissue paper. I picked it up and gently rubbed out as many wrinkles as I could.
I cut an x in the center of the holes, and folded the cut pieces to the back. For the outlet cover, I found it was better to cut a couple more lines. I didn't show that step.
I folded the outside edges to the back so the front could dry.
When the front was dry, I put some modpodge on the back edges of the cover. I folded the paper back over them and let dry.
IMPORTANT- Once dry, I cut off all the excess paper.
I then coated all the paper with another coat of modpodge-I did one side and let dry and then the other. It seals the paper to the cover, and also helps get rid of any bubbles that are left.
Don't skip this step! You don't want a fire hazard.
And here is the finished product. Ignore the switch, haven't replaced it yet.
I think this small detail adds so much to the room!
For more info, check out my blog.

Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Kelleysgirl

• Jody Frasnelli

I was wondering if you can use a picture printed from a computer ? Or would the paper be too thick for the project

I do love the way yours turned out good job

• Sophia

Computer ink is not stable and you will have a lot of fading and may not like the result. Even tissue or paper napkins with Mod Podge could fade, especially on walls that get a lot of light. Fabric might be a better choice than paper....

• Susan

Do the plates need to be painted first?

• Betty

My plates color (almond) match the toggle switch that turns the lights on and off and the wall receptacle is the same way. How do you match these to the covers?? Don't see anyway to paint them.

• Joanne Tomasko

You change switch out for different color to match, but so much easlier just a little paint can do with sealer or match nail polish to design color.

• Lea Swenson

Very nice. I used to do this with wallpaper back in the 80's.

• Div32346949

Like the look. Can you use paper napkin and scotch tape for this project

• Kelleysgirl

I wouldn't recommend using tape, as it doesn't seal the napkin to the cover. Could be a fire hazard.