Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

Declutter Kitchen Countertop With A Curtain Rod

$10

I don't know about you, but I can't stand clutter on my counters, especially in my small apartment kitchen. As much as I love looking at pictures of my family while cooking I needed a solution to get things up and off the counter.

declutter kitchen countertop with a curtain rod, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, organizing, window treatments

I started my project at Target. I found a simple curtain rod that is long enough for my counter (I recommend measuring before shopping ) and two command hooks that hold over 3 pounds. I also chose hooks that match the finish of the rod.

Next, I measured the placement for the two command hooks and hung the rod at my desired height.

Ready to tackle your closet organization next? Learn More about Hometalk's new online group workshop!

Using s-hooks I arranged my usual countertop items - k-cups, mugs, pictures and my little plant. I had to remove the decorative ends on my rod because of the lack of space between the rod and wall. If you don't live in an apartment and can make as many holes in your wall as you want, then you could screw in the normal hooks included to hang the rod.

It's as easy as that! I love that I can change out the items on the rod; adding more mugs or pictures. This would also be awesome for hanging herbs for an easy reach when cooking. If you are an apartment dweller with little cabinet space, this is a must have! This post is inspired by: Judy

• Sky12646110

Can you suggest another way to hang if you have tile on the wall

• Jea12275793

Thanks.live in mobile home..space is precious..going to do..🏃

• Pam12408586

Command hooks are perfect for many surfaces, including tile. I use them all over my house. There is no damage or sticky residue when they're removed. They come in several sizes, types and finishes. You'll love them!

• Karen Ahern

IKEA system is great!!!you can drill into tile with appropriate bit...

• Marjorie Snow

Command hooks work well on tile, place on solids tile not on grout space

• Spe11814103

You may be able to drill into tile, but not granite. I have granite baclsplashes. attaching rods to the undersides of cabinets seems like a better idea.

• Spe11814103

• Joseph

Drill on the grout make sure no to damage the tile as you can regrout and look like new again easy and better than have to replace a broken tile

• Patricia Froise

Command3M products WORK. I have a gallery wall with 50 picture frames and not one hole in the wall.

• CAROL HINTHER

Try using a handicap rail that is suction on screw on - would work the same as in the bathroom - without screws which could mess up you tile.

• Renee Davis Eimerman

My washer and dryer are in a small closet type area. I used a rod that had a spring tension in it and it spans from wall to wall. I made sure it was super tight in the tension and I put all my spare hangers and clothes on it and it has never fallen.

• Ann12683720

As above, use the underneath of the top cupboards. That's what I did, I have all my cooking utensils hanging above the worktop. Just make sure you position the rail far enough away from the wall if you want to hang bulkier items like mugs.

• Sue

I did the same thing, attaching the rod to the underside of the cabinets. Works great!

• Carole

You can use the stick on hooks for the rod. Get them st Lowe’s or Home Depot.

• Janet Shaw

Fasten the rod to the underside of cuboards x

• Dee

Hi Janet- I had the same question. Thanks. You’re brilliant!!

• Carol

Screw the rod brackets to the underside of the cabinets.

• Rca25438557

I have done this in a similar manner but I used a tension curtain rod and I extended it between the inner edges of the bottom of my cabinets. It works fine.

• Cathy

You can use command hooks on tile, they remove and leave no marks or holes.

• Gob7931279

You could mount the rod to the bottom of the cabinet. This way you could eliminate seeing the rod.

• Patricia Melms Matty

I am going to use tension rods ...no screws...I have two ends to use

• Ann Metts

Attach under the cabinets

• Dcassady1

Command also makes towel rods you could use. They are metal and can be cut to length if necessary

• Tin27110869

I used a few brads.

• Squ20844908

Command hooks would work just fine since they stick on the surface.

• Sherri Razo

I've hung a number of items with the 3M Command Hooks on my tile. It has worked well.

• Dominique M. Scalia

How did you hook the pic frame?

• Kara S.

I threaded a little piece of twine to the hook on the back you would normally use to hang it on the wall and looped it around the rod!

• Gerry

from the wire or what ever its hung by...if wire you can raise or lower it

• Laura Clegg

It looks to me like the pictures were hung with string in the photo I see.

• Teri

Probably with the small nail…

• Mardi Penuel

How do the S hooks hang the framed pics? What do they hook onto?

• Kara S.

The picture frame is the only thing I did not use an s-hook for. I simply threaded a piece of twine through the hook on the back of the frame you would normally rest on a nail in the wall then tied the twine to the rod.

• Mary Anne

Instead of twine, a cute ribbon with wire in the edges would perk it up, too!

• Mary Mosher

A loop of twine, wire, or ribbon could be added as per Kara, and if you don't want to tie it on the rod, hang the loop you have made on the s-hook.

• Pat

Since I have a tile backsplash...would it work to put the rod on the bottom of the top cupboards..near the back? Guess I could drill holes in the tile but afraid they might crack. Love your idea.

• Debbie

Command Hooks do not require drilling holes.

• Linda L. Laun

Command hooks are removable adhesive hooks. No drilling.

• Marion Reinhardt

I also would use the command hooks and not drill through the tile

• Marion Reinhardt

• Cathy

I have used the command hooks and asfter so long they just fall off the wall, have broken 2 frames..

• Karen Oler Sandlin

I have never had problems with command hooks coming loose. Just be sure to clean your tile with rubbing alcohol first, the apply the command hooks.

• Michelle

You could use better brackets and screw into the bottom of the cabinet. I used a short towel rack to screw into the cabinets above my clothes dryer and it holds clothes hangers--that was a good idea, too.

• Mary

I use a tension rod a s-hooks. My pics are hung on another wall. I specifically went and got colored and decorative mugs ( at the $ store) to display and got small pails that hung on the s-hooks and put tiny ferns and succulents in them.

• Linda Brown

I used Command Hooks for ten years on plaster walls. Doubled and in some instances tripled the amount of hooks use to accommodate fairly heavily framed original art work. Never a problem! And when I recently moved and r

• Heather Penny McFadden

When it comes down to purchasing the hooks, you do get what you pay for. I tried the cheaper kind..... Not good lol

• Lynda Bishop

Also check the holding weight on the Command hooks. They have several strenghts. Your frames may have fallen if your wall wasn't dust free or if you did not use a strong enough Command hook.

• Tomc60025

I did things a little different. The way my kitchen was configured, a kitchen cabinet to the left of the kitchen sink & shorter cabinets over the sink and nothing to the right of the sink but the fridge. I used a shower curtain tension rod with decorative crystal ends between the kitchen cabinet on the left & the fridge to the right. I then used s - hooks to hang my measuring spoons, measuring cups, funnels and other frequently used utensils. I was even able to hang a small organizer basket that i could put all my cooking spoons, spatulas etc. keeps them from filling up a drawer that needs to dug through or a utensil container on the counter top.

• Vicki Schoenwald

The brilliant Command brand of hooks and hangers. No drilling, no damage. Can be moved and re-used.

• Sherri Richmond

Tomc60025 I would love to see a pic!

• Christina Yates

I think it would work if you attach it to the cupboard above or maybe the Command hooks would stick to tile, I'm not au fait with them as I've just seen them here although I've not used them (yet)

• Nancy Pope

Yes you can hang the rod from the bottom of your cupboard. I used the fittings that came with the rod just put one facing the front and one facing the back so that the rod will not keep falling Everytime you grab a mug. I hang cute kitchen towels on mine.

• Norma W

If you use command hooks Pat, they do not require drilling into your tile.

• Pam

I have used the command hooks that hold 5 lbs in my bathroom for towels. They have hung on the tile for almost 10 years. I have not had any problem with them coming loose etc. Clean the tile thoroughly with alcohol and allow to dry before securing command structures.

• Lor5861870

I have another question about something else...I have a battery operated light that goes under my cabinet but I don't know how to attach it...I tried Velcro the light is to heavy...long tube light...My cabinet is flat underneath....Any ideas is appreciated...Thanks

• Rita

2 way tape, might work. Funny, most of those lights come with screws, and holes already there.

• Mary Mosher

Hi Lori, this depends on a couple of if's ... if you are not a renter, and if your light backing has keyholes or if you can drill some holes in it, you may be able to mount it with screws to the underside of your cabinet. As I'm sure you would, just be sure the screws would not be long enough to pierce through to the inside of your cupboard.

• Dee2948070

They have lights that have tape to adhere

• Jayne

I used velcro from the 99 cent store

• 9530106

You could try some Command strips. They come in various weight holding sizes, and really work well. The ones for pictures might work.

• RJ

I used a hot glue gun

• Command has an ultra strong velcro. I used it outside on brick to hang a metal and glass swivel thermometer. It's still holding at 10 years. I call that strong!

• Beverly Johnson

Yes, Command does make a great, strong Velcro strip but before I started buying those I used Gorilla Glue. This is a very strong glue and will hold anything. The lights will still slide from the base so I can change the batteries.

• Beverly Johnson

• Two13643244

You have to use commercial grade velcro. It will hold a fire extinguisher on the wall. You can find that at Wal-Mart in the material department. I even took a small strip of leftover Velcro and put a small light on my retractable dog leash, so I can walk them at night.

• Squ20844908

use a stronger kind of velcro, and use enough to hold the light. Or you could use liquid nail and it will never fall down.

• Mary

i hung a magnetic knife strip with sugru. Is holding up very well

• Jcl15821151

You can try a few of the 3M command Velcro strips for pictures. I used the to hand s large frame holding s poster in my daughters room, probably used more than needed but rather use more than not enough.

• Jacqness1

I wonder if the placement of the towel holder would allow for a small hand or dish towel?

• Shawna Bailey

It probably will

• Rose Broadway

Yes, it surely would, or if there isn't enough room you could get a pretty hook to hang it on. Hobby Lobby is where I go to find them, so much to choose from.
  • Spa16474840

what if u have tiles

• Unise Horton Rosner

The command hooks will stick to tile. I've used them on tile.

• Lindy Futch Russell

Command hooks have an adhesive back. They should stick to your tiles unless the tile has a very rough texture.

• Sylvia Tatro

attach the rod to the underneath of the cabinet

• Peter Kovak

Attach the rod holders on the tiles with Super 7 or with 444. That's what I've done almost four years ago and, till now, everything is in place.

• Barbara Velard

We have used command hooks in the past. They have let go after a time taking wallboard with them. How do you prevent that?

• Tina

There is a Velcro version of Command that I use to hand HEAVY framed art. Never had an issue. Principal is the same but Velcro is attached to the object you wish to display. That is one alternative. Always allow the adhesive to set as recommended,too

• Betty Devlin Frankson

Such an excellent idea. Can b used on so many different places. Keep these great ideas coming. Thank you.

• Tina

Hang art work lol!

• Mary

Just want to say I have never had an issue with Command hooks. I've had one outside my back door to hold the dog leash - it has been there through rain/snow/sleet/hail for over 16 years. No overhang other than the gutter. Love those hooks.

• Bklynbetts65

I followed all directions in attaching the Command hooks to hang my framed pictures - proper weight and all. The pictures weren't even that heavy. And still two came crashing down a few months later, peeling the paint and some of the plaster with them. I've seen a number of comments from other people where the Command hooks failed, so it's not just me.

• Kate

Just saying, it wasn't the command hook in this case, it was the paint and plaster that had failed you.

• Bjb13976470

I have tile for a backstop......but with the curtain rod hung from under the cabinets (that way the tiles or whatever won't be damaged) and you won't need Command hooks. Just screw the rod to the bottom of the wooden cabinet. Be sure to leave a few inches (2-3)from the back wall so things will hang without hitting wall.

• Dolores Swann

Great Idea - thanks

• Kara S.

Tina is right, I used the heavy duty command hooks that hold 5+ lbs. I would also suggest using the curtain rod hooks that come with it. I couldn't use it here because I'm in an apartment renting and trying to put the lest amount of hoe in the walls as possible :)

• Trudy

I have soap film on my shower doors, tried everything, cannot get them clean!

• Regina Boutwell

I use microfiber rag and mist the shower doors with a little plain water and wipe doors, using a little pressure with the microfiber rag until all water is dried and no streaks. You will be amazed. I was.

• Nancy Lemmons Grijalva

Vinegar.

• Valerie Metcalf

I've dealt with this for almost 20 years and used numerous products and many gave off a toxic odor because my shower is not "well ventilated". I switched to the vinegar and Dawn dish soap trick. You can even alter the scent of your vinegar by letting citrus peel steep in it for a few weeks. Pick your fragrance - orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit. You don't need to heat the mixture, but it does need to be a 50/50 ration. Spray on, wipe around, allow to sit a few minutes and wash off. Vinegar breaks down the calcium and the dish soap I think helps keep it in place to work long enough to remove the buildup. Inexpensive and non-toxic. Good luck.

• Valerie Metcalf

I want to also add that vinegar and dawn dish soap is better for our environment too.

• Deb12632301

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Be sure to rinse shower and squeegee off excess water, too!

• Katalina

You have to get a steam cleaner! $29.99 on Amazon. It melts all the scum so easily just wipe with a dry rag. No harmful chemicals and steam disinfects everything. You can get in the door rails and remove scum from tiles. You can disinfect your entire bathroom with no chemicals just plain water. It's the best investment I ever made.

• Bee16639025

Rrobinson, I totally agree. We switched from soap to shower gel with a pouf several years ago. Not only does it almost eliminate soap scum build up, it's also much nicer on our skin. Soap would dry us out terribly!

• Bee16639025

Now, if only I could find something to clean the clear caulking at the bottom of the shower door!! It always looks yellowish and I don't know what to do. Even bleach doesn't work. Thinking we may have to replace the caulk?

• Dora Stevenson

Believe it or not...straight Dawn liquid dish soap is the best shower door cleaner ever! A well known hotel at Ft. Myers Beach, FL had their housekeeping staff use only that. Dawn cuts grease...body oils (similar to grease) collect on & inside our showers..spread it on the doors..continue cleaning rest of shower with Dawn..., then give it all a good rinse down!

• DiH.

Have you tried greased lightning? Best tub/soap scum cleaner ive found. Dont use it on walls or painted surfaces, it will remove the paint.

• Superbee

WOW, what a wealth of information everyone has provided. If I ever have a shower door, I will take note!

• Karen

CLR and magic eraser are amazing. I tried many of the above and this works. My doors are smooth glass.

• Shu16625826

For the shower door with smooth glass, I've discovered; 'used' bounce sheets - spread a couple over a small hand brush, (wet them down on the brush to keep them in place). Actually wrapping them around the brush as far as you can, to keep them under your hand - so they don't roll up and off. Whatever is in those bounce sheets dissolves scum easily . Problem is: I no longer use bounce sheets! solve one problem ... unearth another. :) Not really .. I now use only vinigar in my rinse cycles. Hope this helps someone. Shell.

• Theresa H Bistodeau

Bon ami cleanser works wonders

• GAYLA

SILVER CLEANER PASTE, WITH A SOFT CLOTH PUT IT ON THE IN SIDE AND OUT SIDE DRY, RUB OFF WITH A DRY COTTON CLOTH IT WILL KEEP IT FROM STEMIMG UP AS A THE BUILD UP OF SOAP SCUM

• Donna Wilson

go to the dollar general store and buy THE WORKS for showers, it costs 1$ I put it in a spray bottle and the whole shower - including the doors rinse off with water without even scrubbing and my shower is spotless! guests often ask me if I have a maid service because the shower is always so spotless.

• Markey

First off every one has different water. Hard water, soft water, some hard has to much of this in it, some has not enough of that. That why what works for one person doesn't always work for another. What I use and love is Thieves. It's a Young Living Essential Oils that we have made a whole line into a cleaning supply. I works wonderful. Not just on glass but on tubs, in the kitchen, on your stove, on wood anywhere. Plus is smells fantastic. Find it at healingblooms.com or on Young Living Essential Oils website. Thanks Markey Bryan Tx

• 85a25264941

Conditioner on a sponge
    • Nof25541588

Bar Keepers Friend and The Works are amazing for cleaning both toilets and tubs (including caulk). I had a terrible problem finding a product which would clean the lime scale and hard water stains out of the toilet and tub of an older house that I purchased. I tried everything known to man to try to clean them but nothing seemed to work. I finally came across BAR KEEPERS FRIEND and THE WORKS. Bar Keepers Friend is found in the cleaning section of Walmart by the powder Comet and The Works is also in the cleaning section by the spray cleaners. Both products "THE WORKS" and "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND" are both very inexpensive but are amazing products and work wonders on toilets, tubs, tile, sinks and countertops! The Works also sells a drop in for toilets which keeps the toilet clean and free of build up for 3 months. Hope this helps...good luck!!
    • Cindy Chamberlain

Clean with Vinegar and newspaper.
    • Kim

Nofd66 - I love Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning.
    • Rachael Bruesch

Get a 16 oz. spray bottle, add 1c. of dawn dish soap and fill it up the rest of the way with cleansing vinegar. Spray on, let set and then wipe it off. Rinse well.
    • Deborah S. McGee

The Dawn really works.
    • Carol

Paint thinner, but wear a mask or ventilate

• Monica Ragan Green

It works well but it give off fumes. I always make sure to turn on a fan and open a window.

• Becky Murphy

I have oak kitchen cabinets. Over the years, there is dirt and grime by the handles only. What can I use to remove the grime and not the stain and finish?

• Martha Jones

Use equal parts water for initial clean, if needed, use Murphy's Oil Soap. Follow directions on bottle.

• Karen Jurasinski

Mix cooking oil and salt into a paste. Use a toothbrush with the paste to clean.

• Jada Jones-Padua

I, completely, agree with Martha Jones. Murphy's Oil Soap works FABULOUSLY!

• Tami Chrisman

Murphy's Oil Soap only thing to use, cuts the grease & grime, won't take off finish and will shine beautifully.

• Janet Pistol McPhail

There is an aerosol spray called Cabinet Magic that is made for that very thing.

• Deb12632301

Murphy's Oil Soap! Works great and smells nice, too! I've used it for years.

• Linda Smith

Tri Sodium Phosphate or TSP. You can find it at home depot or Lowes. It is great for removing grease, nicotine stains and all from walls etc and is used frequently by painting professionals when prepping old walls for new paint. It is the active ingredient in Spic & Span minus the added soap.

• Tini

TSP will remove the finish. I paint and that is what we use to remove the finish. The salt and oil paste can damage the handles. Murphy's Oil Soap is perfect. You use it directly with a tooth brush. Dilute it for regular cleaning

• Beth Chollett

If you'd prefer to use something that doesn't have any added "ikky" ingredients in it, that is totally natural, mix together 1 part coconut oil to 2 parts baking soda. Mix it together with a spoon. Then lavish it on your wood - no matter what you're preparing to clean, i.e., cabinets, tables, etc. If you're up to it, just use your bare hands. Otherwise, you can use a soft cloth or a sponge. There's nothing in there that will hurt you. To get the grime and grease out of any nooks and crannies, use an old, soft toothbrush. Once you've worked the mixture all over the area, wipe it down with another soft cloth. And there you have it, a nice, clean, shiny cabinet - or whatever else it is you're cleaning. Hope this helps.

• Pit16448224

Work Smarter Not Harder: "LYSOL" multi purpose cleaner... won't remove any finishing (wood/metals). Such AMAZING RESULTS!

• Aun11856905

Try scrubbing bubbles!

• DiH.

409 best cleaner for cabinets

• Linda

Liquid Gold is wonderful

• Lindsay

I used to flip really nasty apartments in san diego...one day I accidentally used my 'oil paint' rag to wipe off the oven hood....so, here's my 'miracle' and I've been using it since (1993) on everything grimey in the kitchen, including the cabinets.....mineral spirits. Wipes away years of grease and grime with one swipe and leaves a beautiful shine, especially on the cabinets!

• Hazel McGlincey

409 will damage the finish on wood cabinets. Murphy's Oil Soap will take off years of grease and grime buildup. Use as directed with a microfiber cloth or non scratch scrubber sponge.

• Julie Morin Dunlap

Baking soda and water, make a paste and rub on cabinets with a damp cloth, wipe clean and apply a thin coat of mineral oil, let sit for about 30 min. and buff.
    • Granny Laura

Mix several drops of blue Dawn dish soap in a small tub of hot water and add a capful of Calgon liquid water softener. Calgon is a terrific grease-buster. Wash down your handles and surrounding cabinet with the solution then use and old toothbrush to remove the grime. Periodically dip the brush in your soap mixture while doing it. Rinse off with warm water, dry with a soft cloth and you're done!

A monthly wipe down with this solution will keep your cabinets clean and prevent grease build-up. You can also clean your microwave (inside and out), your stovetop and anything else that gets greasy - even walls.
    • Shannon

Magic Eraser...
    • Kim

Bono wood cleaner works good and will not hurt to finish. The guy that put in my hardwood floors left a bottle and I really liked it. He said I could use half vinegar and half water to do the floors but not to put more than half vinegar because the acid I think it was would over time take off the finish.
      He put them in, in 1998 and they still look great washing with the Bono.
    • Jax26891925

I agree with the Dows bathroom cleaner, I use it to clean my gas stove and knobs, I just take them off and spray scrub and rinse and just like new. I would take them off and do the same. Good luck
    • Debra

KRUD KUTTER
  • Barbara J. Hahn Matern

Every so often, but sometimes daily, I get an odor in my Shower drain, it smells musty, I have repeatedly used, baking soda with vinegar, pouring it down the drain, letting it bubble then rinse with very, very hot water, but this just doesn't seem to help much any other suggestions? I live in a large apartment building, so I am beginning to wonder, if that may have something to do with it?? Any help?

• Melinda Miller

You may need to take the top off the drain and get a gadget that is long and has "teeth" on it. Probably at the hardware store, etc. I'm sure if you told them what it's needed for they will be able to get you what is needed. Anyway, you stick that down the drain and clean it out. You will be grossed out with the hair and black goop that comes out. I then pour cleaner down the drain and the "smell" problem is resolved. Good luck!

• Karen Ballou

After you do the vinegar and baking soda down the drain, do you pour a whole pot of boiling water down the drain?

• Myrna Goodwin Barron

Try Clorox bleach.

• Susan Kaminsky

straight bleach enough to displace the water and fill the trap , leave overnight chlorine bleach will dissolve the hair if used full strength. flush well in the morning repeat until no more odor , the odor is bacteria growing on hair and goo trapped in the drain trap

• Kimber

Try foam garbage disposal deoderizer.

• Kcama

Check with the super - could be a clogged vent or other plumbing problem...ask your neighbors if they're having the same problem.

• Crystal McCurdy

Just a bit of FYI! The tool referred to in the first post can actually be found at the Dollar Tree right now! I just bought one last week! Idk the area u live but if u have a Dollar Tree then they should have them!!

• Zoe Lindahl Callahan

I dont know if you're in an apt., living in city or town with municipal sewer but I'm a ruralite with a septic tank and drainfield. years

• Penny

Remember, what goes down your drain eventually ends up in your water table

• Chris Sortino

need to clean it out manually, use that tool referenced above or a wire hanger with a hook made on the end to fish out the hair in the drain.

• Mpv26632059

Do you have caustic sods draino to pour down it. Adding boiling water is great in case it's fat.
    • Valerie Spell Mcgrew

What goes down the drain ends up in your water table? No ... do u poop and per in the toilet? Do u flush? So do u eat your own poop? No .that stuff is cleaned out first . Get real
    • Ednaslone1971

We bought house had same problems ur rt ever who said the wire hanger people said shower only used once or twice yea it had handful of rotted HAIR in it i then flushed with vinegar an sofa also some Clorox water
    • Karen Boyd

Valerie, what goes down the drain can end up in the water table or at least in someone else's well. If you have a septic system the effluent goes into the soil and is hopefully decomposed enough to be safe to drink when it ends up in the well water. If you have public sewer, the water is treated, primarily for pathogens, but dissolved chemicals such as phosphates are still in the water as it enters streams, rivers, and seas. The only way to get everything out of the water is to distill it and that doesn't always work.
    • Karen Boyd

Be careful about letting straight bleach sit in plastic pipes overnight. Bleach is a base. Bases can dissolve plastic over time. The time depends on how strong the bleach is and the type of plastic.
    • DB

I think my bleach comes in a plastic bottle-- I don't use it often. Have had a forgotten bottle in the back of a cabinet for yearss
  • Mon3631971

I live in my camper and I have very little space of any kind. Would this work for other things?
    • Margie Shrum

Yes, I used a shorter version in my RV bathroom to hold all of the little things that you access frequently. They did not have to be packed up for moving which was nice. I got mine from IKEA, they have lots of sizes.
    • Ellen Greenspoon

Ikea also has little plastic baskets ( for want of a better word) that would be perfect for little plants. I use one for scissors and pens.
    • DB

Just make sure the brackets you use will hold the weight of the stuff you want to hang. I've used it by a work bench to hang tools! ( so 2 command hooks that each hold 5 Lbs will hold a bar with 9 lbs + of stuff- or use another command hook in the middle, Conventional brackets that screw into the wall might wok better for you. Ha
    • Raymonde Dean

I used a deep drawer from a dresser, & put my toaster, butter, and magic bullet. now if i need the space i just more the whole drawer.
    • Jacquie

Personally I think it looks neat and tidy, giving her space for cooking etc. We may not appreciate the way you have set up your kitchen we are all individuals with our own taste.
    • Lj

In a camper or trailer you have to be careful using screws it’s not sheet rock. The walls are like thick cardboard. Every thing screwed in fell out unless reinforced from the back some how. Molly’s pulled right though the walls leaving holes to try and repair. Be careful and know what your doing.
    • Carol Miller

Another suggestion, hang the rod from the underside of the cabinets with screws. I have tile on the backsplash so couldn’t mount there!
    • Vickie Mendenhall

Command hooks would be perfect for camper. I would do it!!!
  • Gina Gutierrez

Great idea! how was the picture hung-up? I couldn't see it. Is it hung with command strips? s- hooks? Thanks!
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

looks like a piece of ribbon or wire tied in a bow and slipped on the rod.

• Patti Mixdorf

according to her "materials used" listed above, I think it was an "s" hook or command strip (but a ribbon would be cute)
    • Linda Sikut

The picture was hung differently from the other gadgets. Look at the video and you'll see it. It looks more like wire to me.
    • Zelda

Very nice! IKEA also has similar bars to hang items on for the kitchen.
    • Susan

I can see what looks like ribbon on the picture....
      , maybe a wire but could be thin ribbon
  • Valentine

What about all the stuff on the counters? How do younhide that?
    • Syeda

KEEP a place for each item inside cupboard after work or at night put back in place
    • Barbara Yacone

Sounds good i have a new pantry that might work.
    • Kim Ball

I'm strange but I like stuff on my counters. I get stuff that's pleasing to the eye ( my eye ) lol, I leave almost everything out.
    • Lin Collins

Kim! I love you! Thank you! Our eyes are all that matter!
    • Keena Layne

Doing this, simple and cute
    • Susan Berger

Do the items on the rod rest on the wall? Could begin to chip paint.

• Lisa Ann Elliott Miller

Yeah, but most of our clutter is toaster, canisters, bread box, knife block etc. stuff that gets used everyday. Any ideas for that?
    • Pcf32280018

I put my flour and sugar in airtight containers and toaster in the cupboard. the only thing I have out is my keurig and paper towel holder. I did not have an island but I bought an island on wheels and it has 2 cupboards and 4 drawers. the bottom drawer is really deep. this is my baking island. It holds my cereal, flour, sugar, all my baking bowls,
      measuring cups etc. this island cost about $300.00. It is nice because I can roll it around and when not in use push it up to a wall.
    • Barbara Yacone

Thank you for the advise
    • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl

Nothing is the answer for everythin. The rod is a good way To unclutter countertops of smaller items. Great idea.
    • Bunny

I have electric sockets installed in the back of all my cabinets, kitchen, bathrooms and laundry. That way, I keep all my small appliances plugged in, and just bring them up on to the counter (the cords are all long enough to reach), and then put them away as soon as I am done using them. If you have a pantry, you can actually just use larger appliances (mixers, blenders, toasters, etc.) right in their spots on the shelves!

I don’t have a pantry in my current home, but converted a used armoire into an electrified “closet” in my kitchen, and use my blender and mixer right inside of it for my home-based baking business.

BOOYAH!
    • Leticia Garcia

Can u send a picture of the armoire u have to get an idea 💡
    • Renee Campbell Lundin

Yeah I’d love to see a pic of this!
    • Kim Ball

We bought a double door storage cabinet from Lowe's and use it as our pantry.
    • Michelle Bates

I put a magnetic strip on the wall for knives and got rid of the knife block.

• Jennifer R-C

They also have in drawer knife blocks. I’ve seen them advertised on yard sale sites, maybe they have them on amazon or eBay as well, just google it. As for canisters, I put them inside my cabinet or my pantry (if you are lucky enough to have a pantry closet). I also have a lot of cabinet and drawer space currently, so almost all of my appliances are kept in the cabinets, my cooking pots are as well. I also have a spice rack from floor to ceiling. It’s not very pretty to look at, so not going to post a pic of it, but I use about 85% of the stuff on it daily, and the other 15% is stuff that my kids can use for snacks, or treats for my dogs. It also holds my recipe boxes (yes, I have more than 1 because 2 sides to the family, and 2 marriages of my own, so recipes from all the grandmas were given to me). I still think I might do this over my stove with the command hooks meant for use in the shower. It might make it a little easier to have the things I cook with regularly closer to my stove.

• Pam

There a magnetic knife strip you can use.

• Darienne

Where is Home Depot we live in Perth
    • Michelle Osterhout-Castle

Hi. You can use your car gps or phone gps app to find your local Home Depot or Lowes store that is closest to you.
    • Lin Collins

I don't know if Home Depot is in your country. It is a large, 'one stop' do it yourself home improvement store selling everything from plants to appliances to lumber. I'm sure you have a similar store where you live.
    • Linda

If you live in Perth Australia try Bunnings
    • Vicki

You could also go to any variety department store, wherever they sell curtain rods, hooks..but hey, doesn't Amazon deliver everywhere?? You teach us. What's your hardware store or department stores that are around you?

• Robin Pasternak-Seggelke

Will the Command Strips stick to slick bumpy ceramic tile?

• Beverly

I used them on cinder block walls. Clean the spot where you will put your command strips with degreaser or alchohol.

• Vicki

They just need a clean surface to stay up under pressure from weight. My guess is if it's bumpy or lumpy, it may not be able to form a secure enough hold onto the wall to support weight for very long. But what do you have to lose but a few bucks in trying them. Good luck..

• Mona

Yes they do. Just have to rub them a little harder & let ser uo a bit longer.

• Julie Green

what can you do in a rental where most of what u do has to be removed when you leave

• Florence Anne Stanfield

Command hooks are completely removable they have a sticky tab for when you need to remove them. Just pull the tap this will stretch then they come from the wall, just buy more sticky tabs to reuse.

• Vicki

Florence is absolutely right! This project is perfect for renters or even homeowner's...it's a perfect project that can be changed up whenever you want...

• Mona

Take it down & take it with you.

Not hard.

• Karen Brent

Command hooks are removable

• Robin Wiley

I used a tension rod under my cabinets for my plastic spoons, spatulas & such. I don’t think it would be strong enough to hold coffee cups but it worked perfectly for me.

• LaNae Ridgwell

Command hooks are easy to remove and you can buy more adhesive backing which makes them reusable.

• Mag5372191

Yes you can find command strips that would hold more weight and good enough to hold coffee cups

• Evelyn peeps

Use a spring loaded rod

• Lorie

Use a tension rod, also command hooks are made to remove easily without damage.

• Kelly Van Zandt Byers

Depends on the size of the hooks. The larger ones will

• Gail

So the rod is hung up by the command hooks?

• Kimba

Yes

• Mona

Yes. The rod is held in place with the command hooks.

• Janice

Yes, it says it the post that she adhered 2 command hooks to the wall, then hung the rod on those hooks. She also said if you own your own home, you might want to install the rod using screws. Very clear instructions!

• Yenta

Command Com strips (and hooks) come in various weights. They're sold at Walmart, cradt stores, home improvement stores, as even Dollar Tree. Figure it how heavy your rod and items will be, and pick a weights which can hold more then that.

• Kelly Kolassa

It looks like that. Of course, there is nothing to heavy hanging from the curtain rod. But, there are different Command hooks that hold different weights.

• Yvonne Smith Angus

Yes,but if you look closely at the "after" picture,youll notice that the trod is bowing where the picture is hung. As the previous answers suggest,you MUST take into account the weight of your items,and purchase the rod and hooks accordingly. I have done this for years in my shower,but with another shower rod,and the hook type of curtain hooks,then i hang my spoofs,back scroubbers, bath gel, bath glove and washcloth from the small part of the hook.M

• Vwebb

I think there’s too much weight for the hooks! BUT another solution to consider—turn the rod brackets under the cabinet and screw into the wooden underside if you don’t want to put screws into the wall. If you can’t match up with good solids wood_ add a spacer piece of scrap wood and mount under the cabinet.

• VelindaDawn

You could also put a 3rd Command hook in the middle to help with the weight.

• Maria De Guadalupe

I like the idea in the last answer.

• Hilda

Will command hooks work with textured tiles?

• Tri24683455

What kind of coffee maker is that?

I like the modern look of it.

• Karen V

Is it just me or have I seen this same idea posted a thousand times on here?

• Linda Sikut

Hmmm, I've been following Hometalk for at least 2 years and vaguely remember a similar one but not a thousand. So I decided to use the search feature to see how many I could find. Surprise, there is only 1 other one and it's slightly different because that creator used a tension rod instead of one with brackets. There are many hacks for the use of curtain rods in lots of areas of the home. Many are closets, kitchens and custom designed rods. Maybe you've seen this on another website. Curtain rod hacks are "in" right now so the idea is popular. Here's what I found on Hometalk.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=kitchen%20curtain%20rod

• Judy Northrop

Anything good is worth repeating. Not everyone has seen the other posts

• Jan

First time I've seen it.

• Stephanie

Me too, first time Iv'e seen it..

• Divab

...and I believe every one of Ikea example kitchens have these in them

• Cindy

First time seeing it for me.

• Gail

You may have but it's the first time I've seen it and I love it because I live in an apartment and don't have much counter space. I love this website.

• Susan Snyder

Hometalk hasn’t shown other ideas just like this; they’ve simply shared this specific post a few times. You can see it’s a few years old, and it IS a clever idea, so why not share it more than once?

Granted, there are many SIMILAR ideas out there, thanks to Pinterest, etc., but Hometalk has enough NEW ideas that they don’t have to show one idea in many forms.

• Sharine Leenders-Kessock

The plants and herbs get enough light under the cabinets ?

• Suzzanne Doublez

Was thinking exactly the same thing. I just finished a pallet project outside where u get special clips to hang 12 clay pots

for whatever u want. Most of the herbs are full sun so it’s perfect for the place I had to put it.

• Tambra A Golden-Haidon

Air plants!

• Patty

Maybe not but if they're drying for cooking? Id hang them close to stove

• Michelle Bowlin

Can u share that idea

• Bonnie

Maybe attach small undercabinet light..with UV light (they have small bulbs used for aquariums).

• Teresa Brumley

Sooooooo, just move the clutter up about 6" and it's not supposed to look cluttered anymore? Wait, WHAT?

• Think

Lol

• Susan

If you like particular items out and handy this looks like a good way to get it up off counter which makes wiping your counter off easy!

• Joanne Pyle

👍🏻

• Melanie Shearman

Lol my thought exactly

• Tracy

My thoughts EXACTLY!!

• Valerie Crowley

I believe the idea was to have more room on your countertop while cooking without having to move things around and for cleaning off once done. She did say she love to cook I don't love to cook, but I know every time I do, even a small meal everything's always in the way.

• Gail

I agree with you. I like the idea of having things up off the counter. Especially when I'm cooking.

• Angel

Its 2 coffee cups&a small.plant.the picture is on the wall.

Its not worth installing a curtain rod when u can just throw up some command hooks.

• Kim Coxe

It clears up the counter top space. I think it looks great and serves it's purpose well. You can hang whatever fits YOUR need. Doesn't have to be the same as hers.

• Donceia Robinson

Ok

• Lori

Tried it and it does unclutter the counter top. Looks very artsy too. Thanks for sharing

• Mary

I have the same problem! Your idea is pure genius! Thank you!❤️🌹

• Fuzz

Cool idea!!

• Helen

Where did you find command hooks that are silver? I can only find white!

• Lisa Coker

I painted mine. I used a primer then sprayed them with chrome paint.

• Donna

Target had them a few years ago

• Leah

Costco

• Jennifer

Be careful with command hooks! Over the past few weeks, I've had 3 pictures fall off my wall after hanging with command hooks for about a year. It's probably a good idea to take them down and use new adhesive strips every 6 months. I'd hate to see all of your mugs shatter on the counter!

• Cyndi

I have seen silver ones at Lowe’

• Mrs23092370

I've never had any luck with command hooks, unless your hanging a sheet of paper..

• Karyn

l believe they can be found in craft stores as well...ie: AC Moore or Michael's.

• Cejay

Spray paint

• Sherri Roll

I've also had issues with command hooks until I started preparing the area properly. First I wash the area with soap & water then I go over the spots where the command strips will go and wipe with alcohol on a cotton ball. Making sure not to leave any cotton particles behind. Then peel & stick. Let the hook set at least 24 hours before adding weight. Your command hooks should last until you remove them!

• Michelle

Great idea

Looks really nice

Thank you for sharing

• Kiki

This is such a smart idea. I am going to ya this idea in our camper! Thanks for sharing.