Mora Clock Makeover
I love Mora clocks, especially those with carved details in the wood. The antique Mora clocks can be very expensive. I have seen antique mora clocks listed for $2,000.00 to $5,000.00, way more than I would ever spend on a clock. So I found a reproduction Mora clock here at wayfair on sale for $365.00! I knew I could remake it the way I wanted, so without further ado here is my Mora clock makeover...drum roll please:
I took the glass, the face & pendulum out and set it outside to paint.
I used Maison Blanche crackle & folk art chalk paint. Mixed the Sheepskin & Adirondack white 50/50.
I applied a thin layer of the crackle in various places on the clock.
It requires two coats of paint and a final water coat to smooth out lines a bit.
I used flat black spay paint first on pendulum, then dry brushed rub-n-buff pewter on, changing the appearance to a distressed pewter.
You can see the distressed pewter pendulum here. I added fleur de lis wood appliques.
Waxing and distressing is the most difficult part, it's a workout! I dip my brush in the Maison Blanch clear wax wax pot and coat it generously with the wax. Then I dip it into the Le Dirt, (the Le Dirt is a lot like ash). Apply it liberally all over the dried paint, the Le dirt goes into the crevices and paint lines to make it look aged. I waited 24 hours after paint dried before I applied the wax & Le Dirt. Rub in wax with your brush liberally & wipe of with soft rag. Allow to cure overnight and buff. I have a cordless drill and a buffing brush attachment, it makes it way easier on your wrists. I then take a sanding sponge to highlight the details and make it appear aged. Finally, I wipe it down with a clean wet hot rag to remove the grit from the sanding.
I wanted to change the face because I just did not like the peachy beige color of the face at all. So I found a downloadable clock face on a google search, & found some elegant graphics from the graphics fairy website. I then designed it using my MS Word (old school I know). I took my file over to Kinko's Fed Ex and had them blow it up to the right size for my face. I cut it out around outside of face and cut a line down the center, then cut a small hole out in the center for the clock hands (I was afraid taking clock hands off would damage the internal workings of the clock). I laid it on top of the old face and affixed it with double stick tape. They only had bright white card stock or a yellowish off white color, so I went with the bright white. It would be much easier if you know how to use photoshop and could make your background a slightly off white, (I'll learn it someday, lol)
Here is the new french style face I designed, added wood appliques & distressing.
More wood appliques added to the bottom section. I love the whimsical curved detail at the bottom of this clock.
Here it is all completed, I do love how it turned out. Total cost was approximately $400.00 plus a lot of elbow grease! It was a labor of love. I have seen several reproductions online for $700.00, so I feel it was a good DIY money saver. It is a one of a kind piece (which I love to create), and I hope one day to pass it to my daughter.