Mora Clock Makeover

$400

I love Mora clocks, especially those with carved details in the wood. The antique Mora clocks can be very expensive. I have seen antique mora clocks listed for $2,000.00 to $5,000.00, way more than I would ever spend on a clock. So I found a reproduction Mora clock here at wayfair on sale for $365.00! I knew I could remake it the way I wanted, so without further ado here is my Mora clock makeover...drum
mora clock makeover, chalk paint, cleaning tips, crafts, home decor, home maintenance repairs, how to, painting, patriotic decor ideas, ponds water features, repurposing upcycling, tools
I took the glass, the face & pendulum out and set it outside to paint.
I used Maison Blanche crackle & folk art chalk paint. Mixed the Sheepskin & Adirondack white 50/50.
I applied a thin layer of the crackle in various places on the clock.
It requires two coats of paint and a final water coat to smooth out lines a bit.
I used flat black spay paint first on pendulum, then dry brushed rub-n-buff pewter on, changing the appearance to a distressed pewter.
You can see the distressed pewter pendulum here. I added fleur de lis wood appliques.
Waxing and distressing is the most difficult part, it's a workout! I dip my brush in the Maison Blanch clear wax wax pot and coat it generously with the wax. Then I dip it into the Le Dirt, (the Le Dirt is a lot like ash). Apply it liberally all over the dried paint, the Le dirt goes into the crevices and paint lines to make it look aged. I waited 24 hours after paint dried before I applied the wax & Le Dirt. Rub in wax with your brush liberally & wipe of with soft rag. Allow to cure overnight and buff. I have a cordless drill and a buffing brush attachment, it makes it way easier on your wrists. I then take a sanding sponge to highlight the details and make it appear aged. Finally, I wipe it down with a clean wet hot rag to remove the grit from the sanding.
I wanted to change the face because I just did not like the peachy beige color of the face at all. So I found a downloadable clock face on a google search, & found some elegant graphics from the graphics fairy website. I then designed it using my MS Word (old school I know). I took my file over to Kinko's Fed Ex and had them blow it up to the right size for my face. I cut it out around outside of face and cut a line down the center, then cut a small hole out in the center for the clock hands (I was afraid taking clock hands off would damage the internal workings of the clock). I laid it on top of the old face and affixed it with double stick tape. They only had bright white card stock or a yellowish off white color, so I went with the bright white. It would be much easier if you know how to use photoshop and could make your background a slightly off white, (I'll learn it someday, lol)
Here is the new french style face I designed, added wood appliques & distressing.
More wood appliques added to the bottom section. I love the whimsical curved detail at the bottom of this clock.
Here it is all completed, I do love how it turned out. Total cost was approximately $400.00 plus a lot of elbow grease! It was a labor of love. I have seen several reproductions online for $700.00, so I feel it was a good DIY money saver. It is a one of a kind piece (which I love to create), and I hope one day to pass it to my daughter.
The Elegant Home

• Rojy

you did well, I like your creativity in using recycled stuff on DIY projects to make a beautiful decor piece like this one.

• Oldglass Stuff

Taking hands off a clock is pretty easy and safe, I could do that in less than a minute. I could not, however, make that clock look as good as you did in a million years. Really smart idea getting that dial printed out too. Great Job!

• The Elegant Home

Thanks!! If I would just learn photoshop I would have so many more options! One of these day. :)