Transform an Old Fridge

$50

A client of mine lives in a studio apartment in Queens. His space is very industrial -dark gray ceiling, metal cubes for a coffee table, and he even poured his own concrete floors to add to the industrial look he is going for. So, when faced with what to do about his out-dated white appliances, we decided to paint his fridge instead of getting him a new one! There are a few products out there that promise stainless steel like finishes because they actually contain real stainless steel pigments! I tried Rustoleum's Stainless Steel appliance paint. The can promises a "single application" and although that is far from the truth, the outcome is pretty good if you have the patience for several coats. In the end, we took an old 80's apartment sized fridge and updated its look for the cost of a can of paint.
MATERIALS: 4" roller tool 4" foam roller (later on in the project I switched to a regular roller) Angled paint brush Paint Tray Rust-Oleum's Stainless Steel paint Black spray paint (optional) Phillips head screwdriver Wrench Respirator
STEP 1: We started out with an all white fridge. The product states that if you're painting an appliance there is no need for primer. I decided to follow the instructions, but I wonder if that's why I had to apply 3-4 coats.
STEP 2: Next step was to clean the outside of the fridge thoroughly. I used a simple solution of vinegar and water. It removed a lot of the old grime that can burry itself into the little grooves of the fridge. STEP 3: Next I opened the product and poured a little into a paint tray. This is very stinky, so wear a respirator if you can't haul your fridge outside!
STEP 3: Remove the doors. Different fridges will require different tools for this step; I had to use both a wrench and a Phillips head screw driver. I put all the hardware to the side.
STEP 4: I removed the white handles and, instead of painting them stainless steel as well, I decided to paint them a glossy black. I set them aside to dry.
STEP 5: I was finally ready to paint. The product contains real stainless steel pigment, so that's pretty cool! It's a very stinky paint, so if you can't haul your fridge outside, make sure you wear a respirator.
STEP 6: I started with my brush and trimming out all the smaller area around the open spaces.
STEP 7: After attempting to just cut the paint, I decided to tape it off first and then paint the smaller areas. I wanted to see how meticulous I could get with this paint job; I didn't want it looking sloppy.
STEP 8: After 2 coats, this is what the fridge looked like. Since the instructions said it was an "easy single application" I was shocked to see it look this patchy. I decided to switch from a foam roller, like the instructions called for, to a regular roller. After I made this switch, the paint went on much better. Dry times also took awhile, so take that into account.
STEP 9: After about 4 coats, I put all the hardware back on, put the doors back on the fridge, and got ready to step back and take in handy work!
STEP 10: I put the handles back on and it looked great!
The result is pretty spot on!

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017

• Hazel Thomas

how many cans of paint did u have 2 use?

• Cecilia

hi. It’s a small

fridge only needed one can (also

i did not paint the top because I used the mats)

• Michelle Thomas-Keats

Would this also work on a white upright stove. I could only afford a white upright stove which I don’t like. I want it to match my fridge and microwave hence why I’m asking would it work on in upright stove. Look forward to a response. TIA

• Cecilia

rustoleumn. Makes a heat resistant paint (I’ve used it before). I s this an electric or gas stove? The problem is with the heat resistant paint is that it is oil based, reeks and takes two days to cure. Also it can NOT be applied near open flame (pilot light from gas stove) because it is extremely flamable

in its incited state.

• Sharon

Could this also be done to a stove???