Transform an Old Fridge

1.22M Views
A client of mine lives in a studio apartment in Queens. His space is very industrial -dark gray ceiling, metal cubes for a coffee table, and he even poured his own concrete floors to add to the industrial look he is going for. So, when faced with what to do about his out-dated white appliances, we decided to paint his fridge instead of getting him a new one! There are a few products out there that promise stainless steel like finishes because they actually contain real stainless steel pigments! I tried Rustoleum's Stainless Steel appliance paint. The can promises a "single application" and although that is far from the truth, the outcome is pretty good if you have the patience for several coats. In the end, we took an old 80's apartment sized fridge and updated its look for the cost of a can of paint.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $50Difficulty: Easy
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
MATERIALS: 4" roller tool 4" foam roller (later on in the project I switched to a regular roller) Angled paint brush Paint Tray Rust-Oleum's Stainless Steel paint Black spray paint (optional) Phillips head screwdriver Wrench Respirator
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 1: We started out with an all white fridge. The product states that if you're painting an appliance there is no need for primer. I decided to follow the instructions, but I wonder if that's why I had to apply 3-4 coats.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 2: Next step was to clean the outside of the fridge thoroughly. I used a simple solution of vinegar and water. It removed a lot of the old grime that can burry itself into the little grooves of the fridge. STEP 3: Next I opened the product and poured a little into a paint tray. This is very stinky, so wear a respirator if you can't haul your fridge outside!
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 3: Remove the doors. Different fridges will require different tools for this step; I had to use both a wrench and a Phillips head screw driver. I put all the hardware to the side.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 4: I removed the white handles and, instead of painting them stainless steel as well, I decided to paint them a glossy black. I set them aside to dry.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 5: I was finally ready to paint. The product contains real stainless steel pigment, so that's pretty cool! It's a very stinky paint, so if you can't haul your fridge outside, make sure you wear a respirator.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 6: I started with my brush and trimming out all the smaller area around the open spaces.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 7: After attempting to just cut the paint, I decided to tape it off first and then paint the smaller areas. I wanted to see how meticulous I could get with this paint job; I didn't want it looking sloppy.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 8: After 2 coats, this is what the fridge looked like. Since the instructions said it was an "easy single application" I was shocked to see it look this patchy. I decided to switch from a foam roller, like the instructions called for, to a regular roller. After I made this switch, the paint went on much better. Dry times also took awhile, so take that into account.
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 9: After about 4 coats, I put all the hardware back on, put the doors back on the fridge, and got ready to step back and take in handy work!
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
STEP 10: I put the handles back on and it looked great!
  • transform an old fridge, appliances
The result is pretty spot on!

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 18, 2018 10:06 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.