Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom
Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom
  • Sheboygan, WI

Repurpose an Old Standing Floor Lamp Into a Plant Stand

I have had these floor lamps for over 15+ years. They have moved with us from house to house and always seemed to find a spot to sit in the living room even though they were never used. Each time they got a new lamp shade to match the new decor, but they were just still sitting there looking sad.

So I took them apart with plans to save the fixture and all the wiring to make new lamps.

The stands just sat there for months. I knew I couldn't just toss them out, but I had no clue what to do with them.

Until a few weeks ago.

It's cold here in Wisconsin now and all the plants that I had outside for the summer had to start being brought in for winter. Yikes....I guess I collect a lot of plants. I had no room for them anymore.

And then it dawned on me to repurpose my floor lamp into a plant stand! This way I could add more height to an area in my room, but I could also get more plants off the floor and off the tables.

Take all the guts out of the stand and set them aside if you too want to make a new lamp. If your stand is ugly, now would be the time to give it a fresh coat of spray paint if you want.

This is what mine looked like with everything taken apart.

I grabbed a cheap pot from the dollar store. I made a hole in mine so that I could shove a little dowel through the top of the pot and into the stand to help secure the pot on the top a little bit more.

My new plant stand! I love it! Especially for my ivy. I can wrap it around the stem of the stand and let it hang down without getting caught on everything on my table.

Get more great DIY's like this one at CrazyDiyMom.com

• Floor lamp
  • Pot
  • Plant

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

• Kathy.domingue

Where does the water run off after watering the plant?

• Jewellmartin

I know how to keep mine from dripping water. I’m going to use silk/plastic plants. I’m really inspired by this. ☺️

• Diane Bauer Nelson

My question as well.....with the hole in the bottom of the pot....where DOES the water go? I really like the idea....just wondering about the water.

• Carey

Yes and buy back your lamps! LOL

I have a lamp that I am considering doing this with, however I am considering using it as an outside planter! I too am concerned about water running out of my plant. Or I will use it to create a birdbath base for an idea that I have been considering now for some time.

• Margaret

How did u fasten the pot to the lamp - I too want to make mine into a plant stand.Thanks.

• Joanie

Super idea!!  I have 2 English ivy hangin' above my sink........I love my plants!