Start Your Own Apple Trees From Seeds

151K Views
Yesterday, it took me about 90 minutes to make a quart of homemade applesauce and start a small orchard of apple trees from seeds at the same time. Here is why and how I did it.
Eddie and I want fruit trees down on our property. The more the better. This is why I never, ever throw out fruit tree seeds. Last January, I tested the theory of growing apple trees from seeds and now we have 56 baby apple trees and 11 baby lemon trees (ranging from 4-10 months old) growing in our backyard. Will they ever produce? I have no idea, but that is not the point. We still have much to learn about raising fruit trees. The point is that (since we have nothing to lose but a little time) whenever we wash, peel, core, and cook up apples for applesauce (or pie or whatever), we don’t just compost those cores! No, no. We harvest the seeds and perform the steps in the link below. (Most folks have these inexpensive items on hand, so the cost is for this project is $0.)
Time: 45 MinutesDifficulty: Easy
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Sprouting Apple Seeds
Sprouting Apple Seeds
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Harvest the seeds
Harvest the seeds.
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Package them up
Package them up.
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Stratify in the fridge
Stratify in the fridge.
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Wait for them to take root
Wait for them to take root.
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Plant place in the sun
Plant & place in the sun.
  • start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Watch them grow
Watch them grow.

Suggested materials for this project:

Homestead Chronicles

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL

I love that you are being your own Johnny Appleseed. There's a good reason there's no Johnny Lemonseed, however. Most citrus doesn't grow true from seed, and the resulting tree is likely to be full of thorns. It is also likely to suffer from "prolonged juvenility," in other words, take a very long time to produce fruit. And then there is the problem of your Ohio winters!

• K. Hills
        K. Hills Indianapolis, IN

Although your intention is good, it's not very practical. Apple seeds don't produce the same kind of tree they came from and the resulting fruit is often inedible. Most viable apple trees are clones made by grafting. http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/propagation/f/applesfromseed.htm