Homestead Chronicles
Homestead Chronicles
  • New Straitsville, OH

Start Your Own Apple Trees From Seeds

Yesterday, it took me about 90 minutes to make a quart of homemade applesauce and start a small orchard of apple trees from seeds at the same time. Here is why and how I did it.
Eddie and I want fruit trees down on our property. The more the better. This is why I never, ever throw out fruit tree seeds. Last January, I tested the theory of growing apple trees from seeds and now we have 56 baby apple trees
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Sprouting Apple Seeds
Sprouting Apple Seeds
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Harvest the seeds
Harvest the seeds.
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Package them up
Package them up.
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Stratify in the fridge
Stratify in the fridge.
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Wait for them to take root
Wait for them to take root.
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Plant place in the sun
Plant & place in the sun.
start your own apple trees from seeds, gardening, homesteading, Watch them grow
Watch them grow.
Homestead Chronicles

3 questions on this project

• Karon
    May 06, 2016

Hi, enjoyed your contribution. My understanding about apple trees is that the are usually grafted onto a hardier apple root base to prevent some diseases, growing problems in native soil, water concerns....you know?....for hardier plants with delicious results.

• Shuesler
    Apr 23, 2017

Most apples are grown from grafted trees and will not come true from seed. The seeds might germinate, and they could develop into productive trees, but the fruit might not be similar to the fruit you purchased. Fruit breeders plant thousands of apple seeds every year from controlled crosses they make. Of these seedlings, no more than one or two are expected to make it into commercial production.
    If you want an apple tree that develops tasty fruit, you should buy a known variety from a nursery or mail-order source. You can find almost any variety of tree available, and trees you purchase will fruit in a much shorter time. A seed-started tree could take 8-10 years to fruit. Also, apple trees started from seed will have no dwarfing characteristics. Unless you have a large yard, they may be too big for your site.
    If you're the adventurous type and would like to start the seeds despite this discouragement, here's how to do it: Remove the seeds from the ripe fruit. Plant them an inch deep in a pot containing potting soil or seed germinating mix. Moisten the soil. Bury the pot outdoors in the ground in fall, or place it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator, away from ripening fruits and vegetables.
    Periodically check the soil mix to make certain it stays moist but not wet. After 3-4 months of temperatures just above freezing, move the pot to a location at room temperature (or wait for warm temperatures to develop naturally outdoors). If properly chilled, the seeds should germinate in several weeks.