Felicity Wallace
Felicity Wallace
  • Maineville, OH

Little Boy Blue to Little Black Dress

I needed a dresser for my daughter. She is hitting her tween years and has a huge love for black...and bright colors.
little boy blue to little black dress, bedroom ideas

I found this...um...beauty at my local Goodwill. It was a 50% off day and that was a good thing because they had $40 posted on this one. No way. I was okay paying $20 though!

See the damage on the side? The side is one sheet of thin plywood and was dented in a couple places. I thought about replacing the whole side piece but decided to keep costs down by just repairing.

Blue. Sports knobs. Damage to the finish. I did love the size, the detail on the top and the silver handles someone had installed.

I hauled the whole mess outside and patched all the damaged parts.

I sanded, starting with 80 grit and finishing with 220, to make sure I had a smooth finish.

There was a crack in one of the drawers, so I used wood glue and two 15 lb weights to repair it. You do what you gotta do!

I used a gloss black oil paint by Rustoleum. The paint gave it an amazingly smooth finish and it's so shiny! No sealant required with oil paint!

Finished! I waited until it was fully cured and then put the silver handles back on.

Once Hobby Lobby held their 50% off hardware sale I purchased four bling-y knobs for the top drawer. I was very happy with the glossy black finish! My daughter loves it!
Felicity Wallace

• Spi9010475

Was the Rustoleum you used a spray paint or a paint-on-with-a-brush? Beautiful!

• Felicity Wallace

I used the Rustoleum in a 1 quart paint can that you apply with a brush or roller. I found that spray paint does not give thick enough coverage for my liking on large pieces of furniture. I love it for small projects, or detailed furniture pieces, even side tables. For dressers or larger pieces, especially with large flat areas, I use roll on paint.

• Sharron

How did you apply the paint? I don't see any brush marks or roller stipple.

• Felicity Wallace

I rolled on the first coat with a foam roller. It is a little cold here so it left behind bubles that made little bumps in the finish. I sanded those down and thinned the paint with mineral spirits. Then I did the second coat with a paint brush. For some reason the brush did better than the roller. I love oil paint! It seems as if it self levels and you don't see any strokes.

• Justine McCarthy

Love it Jenny. You did a fantastic job. I am looking at doing something similiar for our bedroom but it's a second hand Ikea unit so not as good quality as yours. Thanks again

• Dpbeee2

That's a WOW!! Thanks.