A Filthy Cart Gets a Makeover - Trash to Treasure

I found this old cart at the thrift store. It was pretty filthy but surprisingly, in good shape. The sides lifted up and down easily and the wheels worked. I decided to bring it home and see what I could do with it.
a filthy cart gets a makeover trash to treasure
I started by giving the cart a good clean. As I cleaned the plated brass, it began to flake off. My initial idea of cleaning the brass to make it shine and then painting the panels was scratched!
Instead, I went for the spray paint. It adheres to everything - even metal. I took the cart outside and sprayed it everywhere. The white spray paint was the perfect solution to the metal.
I used DecoArt chalky finish paint on the panels. The color is Preservation and one of my favorites.
I also used this color on a fantastic old dresser: Blue Velvet Dresser Before and After
I took a stencil I had and used the white spray paint to apply it over the blue. I applied the design haphazardly over the top panels.
The cart is perfect as a liquor cart as well as many other uses.
The sides are great - they pull up and down so easily and lock in place. The spray paint did not make them stick at all.
The wheels also are in great working order. I can pull it from room to room with ease. It also would be useful in a kitchen for storage.
Trash to treasure!

• Spray paint  (home depot)
  • DecoArt paint  (AC Moore)
The Painted Drawer by Suzanne Bagheri