Apartment Friendly Faux Wood Floors With Contact Paper

$30

If you need to cover a floor you just can't handle looking at anymore this is PERFECT! I honestly was stunned at how great this stuff looked... and felt! This contact paper faux wood flooring is a great option for renters, because it can be peeled back up if needed, but is durable enough to withstand traffic. A couple rolls of wood contact paper can transform any old linoleum floor with ease. We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
SUPPLIES: -As many rolls of contact paper you need to cover the space you are looking to cover. (I got this awesome wood print contact paper, because I love the look of hardwoord floors, but you can get any print you like.) -X-Acto Knife
STEP 1: Clean your floors Clean the floors you are looking to cover making sure all crumbs, hairs, dust and grime are wiped away.

STEP 2: Start unrolling your contact paper Grab your roll of contact paper and peel away a small corner. Start in a far corner of the room and attach the exposed sticky side of the paper.
STEP 3: Keep unrolling and sticking Slowly remove more backing from the roll and press down the paper as you go.
STEP 4: Press down to squeeze out any bubbles Continue unrolling the paper from the backing pressing down as you go and squeezing any bubbles out from underneath with your hands or a credit card if needed. Be sure to keep the strip of paper as straight as possible.
STEP 5: Cut the paper to fit corners For the next panel I was going to run into some corners to cut around. You can either measure and cut out the angle before placing it down, or you can do as I did and cut it once installed. To do this I gave an ample amount to go around the corner and sort of left it flapped up for the moment.
STEP 6: Match up the seams When installing a new panel you will need to make sure the seams meet, so there are no cracks between them. I found it was easiest to line up the seams first before sticking it to the floor completely, so that it was nice and straight and the seams met the whole way down. On the right is a picture of the seam between the panels. It is almost invisible.!
STEP 7: Do the angles and corners last Once the panel is in place it is time to adhere the piece around the angles and corners. I first cut out a small square to go around the foot of the fridge and then pressed the panel in place.
STEP 8: Slice off any excess Because I cut out an ample piece, there was excess that I sliced off at the base of the cabinets with my X-acto knife making sure it was nice and flush with the edge of the cabinets.
STEP 9: Make sure it all matches up If you run out of long panels and have to piece panel pieces together lengthwise try to match up the grain as good as possible. If you are close up you can see that they don't match perfectly, but as you will see below it is not noticeable from a distance due to the grains in the wood.
STEP 10: Use your X-acto knife to cut small pieces Use an X-acto knife to cut away any small little pieces that need to fit around small areas such as these oven feet. And then you are done!
Look how amazing this looks! Seriously my mind was blown with how great this stuff looked! And it has texture so it gives it even more of a realistic feeling.
Look at how crazy of a change! The picture on the left is the linoleum beforehand and it was chipping and installed terribly and got all covered up on the cheap with the beauty on the right.
Here is another before and after. Painting the cabinets would probably make this pop even more, but it still has such great charm!
This thing looks good from every angle! I want to install this all over the place!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas

• Catherine Powell
    Catherine Powell

What about cleaning it and wear and tear.Have you a photo a year later

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I did this at a friend's house and just installed it so I am not sure about how well it holds up, but the brand I got was SUPER sticky and adhered extremely well so I am sure it could take quite a bit of foot traffic. It also is probably effected by the material you adhere it to.

• Kimberley
      Kimberley

This looks really pretty! However, this product isn't made for foot traffic. It's basically plastic-laminated paper. I can't imagine how this would hold up. Sidenote: I'll never forget how my mom covered our camper's cabinets with contact paper and how they peeled and bubbled in humidity.

• Debi McChesney Dennis
      Debi McChesney Dennis

and the sticky residue is horrendous to try to remove. LOTS of expensive GooGone!!!

• Anita
      Anita

No a little inexpensive baby oil or WD-40 will remove the leftover adhesive

• Sharon Gray
    Sharon Gray

Where did you find the great pattern in the contact paper?

• Julie Theresa
    Julie Theresa

Is it not slippery and dangerous?

• Bonnie Williams
      Bonnie Williams

I'm thinking it would be no more slippery than smooth linoleum. But I don't think it'd be very durable at all. We have dogs. I cannot imagine it would stand up to their racing feet. And I'm not sure what you'd clean with that wouldn't get into the seams and loosen the glue. Not at all practice, IMO.

• Tani
    Tani

I am trying to figure out a way to plank over a popcorn ceiling. I wonder if theres any way this product would adhere to it? Thanks.

• Chris Martin
      Chris Martin

I doubt it would stick. I removed popcorn ceiling in 4 rooms of my house this year. It was a lot of work and mess but worth every minute. I got a tool from Amazon that attaches a garbage bag right to it. It wasn't a miracle but helped a little. The blade dulled after 1 room. Definitely need a sharp blade. A new scraper is a must. I made sure I had an expensive mask for protection (not worth breathing it) and sprayed the ceiling with a big bug sprayer with fabric softener and warm water. Again a lot of work ( do a small part every day). It will eventually get done. Good luck if you try it. It did transform my rooms. It was worth it if you own your house.

• Shobha
      Shobha

Browse, "how to cover a popcorn ceiling" and there are numerous sites selling styrofoam tiles for that purpose.

• Haligirl
      Haligirl

Do not attempt to use this product on a popcorn ceiling. It will NOT stick. If it happens by some miracle to stick day 1 it WILL start to fall.

• Suz31250957
      Suz31250957

There is a planked wood look ceiling tile we’ve used and it is simple and looks ama I gotta. Sold at Lowes. Made by Armstrong.

• Sus10252949
    Sus10252949

Looks amazing: two questions: does this paper really peel up if it has been in place for a year or more? I've been afraid to try removable contact or wall-paper. And you mentioned that the old linoleum was chipping- on those places does the contact paper bubble since the surface underneath may not be perfectly flat?

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

I've found after a while if you remove contact paper it leaves a sticky residue. There are special products like goo-gone to remove that. You can also make your own homemade goo-gone.

• Pan15315479
    Pan15315479

Does it scuff. How durable is it?

• Susan Sam Maxwell
    Susan Sam Maxwell

Could this be used on topic plywood?

• Chris
    Chris

How is the contact paper holding up for you so far. I was thinking of using this for an old table top. Do you think that would work.Is this a special type pf contact paper?

• Sandra Tofflemire
      Sandra Tofflemire

I would after applying contact paper to the table, add a glass top table to preserve it

• TRG
      TRG

I covered a table top back in 1987 and can tell you it held up amazingly!!

• Theresa Lensborn
      Theresa Lensborn

I covered a kitchen counter top with it 12 years ago. Still looks great except in front of microwave it's kind of bleached out.

• Sue Swartz
    Sue Swartz

It might look pretty but how does it hold up after several moppings?

• Joyce Danko
      Joyce Danko

It surely depends on the coating on this paper and how much wear and tear with shoes? moving stools? water, gravel... I'd say short term at best.

• Jud5089020
      Jud5089020

Our Kitties would have this torn apart in a heartbeat!

• Peggy Hann
      Peggy Hann

It's pretty durable as far as cleaning... Had some on the wall in my kitchen for 10 plus years... When it gets scuffed or torn you have to replace.. 😊 Great idea to cover ugly for quick fix.

• Janet B
      Janet B

Swiffer-wring out as necessary.

• Joyce Austin Criss
    Joyce Austin Criss

I would think anything would scratch it?

• Cyndie Daniels
      Cyndie Daniels

You're right. This is covering an entire floor with paper! It will scratch and tear easily!

• Deb Dziabuda-Konzer
      Deb Dziabuda-Konzer

Contact paper isn't paper though, it's got a plastic coating or plastic material in it

• Cathy
      Cathy

Wonder if you could clear coat it with poly to protect the surface?

• Celeste Mailman
      Celeste Mailman

I agree! Just look what dishes can do to it let alone footwear, chair legs, etc. Better off going to a DYI center and purchase self adhesive floor tile squares after going through all that trouble!

• I would think it would leave a horrible sticky residue when you need to remove it!

• Kim Baer
      Kim Baer

Yes, I bet the landlord will love that!

• Meghan Burtt
      Meghan Burtt

Nothing a little goo-gone wouldn't solve

• Carole
      Carole

Hot soapy water and a little goo gone

• Julie Endlich
      Julie Endlich

I purchased a home where the previous owner had used contact paper on various things. It was a NIGHTMARE to clean up. Depending on the age, it DOES NOT pull up as one big nice piece...it pulls off bit by bit. It was much, much harder than getting off wallpaper.

• Roy14385235
    Roy14385235

How do you keep it clean

• Gai1185126
    Gai1185126

My flooring has tiny dimples. will the covering adhere to it?

• Carylon Smith
      Carylon Smith

Yes and dimples will show through

• Haligirl
      Haligirl

Yes BUT those tiny dimples will likely create tiny air pockets are the dimples making it both harder to lay down and more likely to lift up faster. And may he more likely to rip?

• Claire Cobourn
    Claire Cobourn

As this is paper, how long would it last with scrubbing and cleaning?

• N. G. Londonderry
      N. G. Londonderry

Contact paper is really vinyl. ..... not sure it would stand up to much foot traffic though.

• Shirley Turner Wishard
      Shirley Turner Wishard

Contac paper is vinyl. It will look ok for a while, eventually it will show signs of wear AND IT WILL SHRINK. NO MATTER HOW WELL IT IS LAID OUT. I give it less than 30 days. Sorry.

• Candi
      Candi

I agree with Shirley.

• Diane Savage
    Diane Savage

Can you coat the contact paper with polyurethane to protect it?

• Hope Stanislawczyk
    Hope Stanislawczyk

My kitchen is also my dining room. How well will this hold up to chairs, kids, mopping, etc?

• Chris
      Chris

I wondered about that too. I used contact paper on a counter top and it scratched up easily.

• Carylon Smith
      Carylon Smith

It would tear and peel if gouged

• Angie Arelliano
      Angie Arelliano

I mop my kitchen every night and the liquid of my swiffer (or any water spill) will definitely seep through the edges where the contact paper joins and will make it bubble up ~ then making the paper peel. This is an ideal and great temporary idea, but not for a permanent flooring.

• Gloria T Flick
    Gloria T Flick

Wouldn't the floor be sticky when you remove the contact paper? How would you clean the floor underneath it since this is not permanent?

• Zanne Goldwire
      Zanne Goldwire

That's what I was thinking too. Also if in a rental space I would imagine it would adhere to flooring making it difficult or even damaging existing flooring. I'm not trying to purchase new flooring for my landlord.

• Any remaining residue could be removed with a product like Goo Gone without damaging the original floor.

• Debbie
      Debbie

A product like Goo Gone would take care of that.

• Cyndie Daniels
      Cyndie Daniels

Goo gone will remove the color of the original floor. I used to sell flooring as well as other home improvement products.

• Anita
      Anita

Baby oil or WD-40 will remove the leftover adhesive

• Judy
    Judy

how do you clean it-----doesn't it come up and roll at spots?

• Marie Antoinette D'Amore
    Marie Antoinette D'Amore

Looks good but what happened to the floor as you started to clean ..or mop the floor? Did the paper start to unravel..come up..peel away?

• Pam Klecan
      Pam Klecan

I was wondering that also

• Gom14284074
      Gom14284074

It's really hard to get contact paper off a surface. If you don't flood the floor with water, it should be just fine.

• Donna Marie
      Donna Marie

That looks great! I would think that your floor has to be pretty smooth...no gouges or dents in it. How long does it last?

• Nathanc61181
      Nathanc61181

I think it would be pretty durable as long as you don't wear shoes on it and sponge mop to clean.

• Debbie
    Debbie

My biggest concern--other than the fact I can never get all the bubbles out when I use Contac-- would be durability. Walking in this floor with shoes or pushing chairs in and out at a table would surely mar the surface.

• Gom14284074
      Gom14284074

Use a metal putty knife to help with the bubbles.

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

Use a plastic tool like one you'd use in the bathroom shower, not a heavy metal one. Many people use an old credit card to get out the bubbles. Another trick after it's down, if you find a bubble, prick it with a pin in the center of the bubble. That will allow the air to come out and the rest of it will then stick to the floor.
  • Cla13065998
    Cla13065998

how long does it last

• Vscott22
    Vscott22

How do you wash it? How well does it wear?

• Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones

how do you remove it? won't it damage the original flooring?

• None
      None

I think it will peel the linoleum floor if you try to remove it after it's been down a while. Looks nice though.

• Judy
      Judy

The same way you put it on, just in reverse. peel it off starting at the corners. Doesn't leave any stick residue either.

• Ida Dahlberg
    Ida Dahlberg

Did you put anything on it to protect it like maybe some polyurethane?

• Judy
      Judy

The finish on the paper is protection, you don't need to add anything. Washes off with a soft cloth or paper towel and warm water, dish soap.

• Tricia
    Tricia

For something more durable, I wonder if this could be sealed, thus a more permanent installation?

• Judy
      Judy

You don't need it, I've done this, it lasts a long time, plus, it can easily be replaced if necessary.

• Car13174676
      Car13174676

Judy how do you clean it?

• Judy
      Judy

I just found by googling that you can buy floor epoxy which would work to protect it. Much better to use than polyurethane.

• Luisa
    Luisa

How do you keep it clean and how do you keep it from getting scratched

• Susan
      Susan

Water/liquid of any kind will soften and tear it when it is washed.....

• Lau15959434
      Lau15959434

It has a plastic coating to it, so it should last quite a long time, as long as you don't walk on it with high heels and let kids scrape at it with their toys.

• Dorothy Larson
      Dorothy Larson

I did my shower months ago and it is holding up great. This is a pvc paper so really plastic. Quit durable

• Her2308345
      Her2308345

Couldn't you put a clear protective layer over it like a porch and floor varnish ?

• Sara
    Sara

Is it slippery to walk on?

• Judie
    Judie

How long will it last?

• Alicehart
      Alicehart

probably a few days

• Irene
      Irene

Nasty!

• Susan Cerra Linkhorn
      Susan Cerra Linkhorn

Not long unless no one walks on it

• Amy White
      Amy White

No need to be rude

• Andrea
      Andrea

It's a great idea except that the design will be worn through quickly. If there was a dependable way to put a hard clear coat on it, fine. I think if you own a place and plan to rip up the floor in six months and can't stand to see it in the meantime, you could do this. But, I think it would be slippery and would quickly look bad. I wouldn't do this in a rental because you'd be charged a lot for replacing usable but ugly floor. Even just covering a metal cabinet with this would involves the areas that are touched often wearing through. I'd suggest this for the bottom of you cabinets under the bathroom sink and so on, but not the floor.

• Beth kershaw
      Beth kershaw

I think it looks great-I'm thinking of doing it in a small laundry room. There's much less traffic so will probably last longer.

• Debbie
      Debbie

5 minutes if a dog runs across it.

• Framerbefore
      Framerbefore

PLEASE DO NOT use this on metal cabinets. I had a rental where this was used and it took hours to scrape off with a special adhesive remover.

• Judy Little
      Judy Little

It won't last long as the print will quickly wear through. Also contact paper stretches when you are peeling the back off and then shrinks back to it's original size. One last thought, I have rental property and if one of my tenants did this to a floor that may look at little outdated but was still functional I would have a fit!

• Judie
      Judie

That's what thought but I have not used it in a very long time and thought a better product was being sold now. Just curious.

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

That's why rental property owners have a deposit. If someone leaves something that requires fixing due to their own deliberate act (in other words, not normal wear & tear) the apartment owner can take the cost of repair out of the deposit. From the write-up it appears that the apartment renter plans to remove it before moving so it will be their expense if there is a problem.
  • Gra16056123
    Gra16056123

How long will it last ?

• Gwen
    Gwen

What happens when your renters mop it?

• Sharon
      Sharon

it wont last very long they will use all kinds of strong cleaners on it to cut the grease from the stove.

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

Her friend is the renter. I'm sure she understands how to care for it. The point is that she'll remove it before she moves so there will be no uneducated renters using that floor.
  • Liz
    Liz

Amanda, Good for you!! It's frustrating to look at a floor that you want to change so much every time you walk in the kitchen. Would this help protect and prolong the contact flooring?............Amazon has inexpensive, good quality, washable, rubber backed rugs in almost every color and design. We got one for our large foyer to warm up the ceramic tile (which I hate!), and it is beautiful! A 5x8 ft. or 6x8 ft. would cover a large part of your kitchen floor & will protect your contact paper. Love your ideas!

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

Rubber backed rugs would help prolong the flooring

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

I love any kind of carpeting in the kitchen. As a matter of fact, for years I had kitchen carpet that I had a carpeting company install. I know it now sounds horrible with all the spills and stuff, but I loved that I never had to walk on a cold floor. (I tend to not wear shoes or socks in the house - now I have to wear at least socks in the winter.) A small carpet in the center would be fabulous in my mind!
  • Margie betancourt
    Margie betancourt

Can it be put on bathroom tile?

• Sharon
      Sharon

bathroom tile will have grout lines that will show through the thin papar

• Debra
    Debra

How well does it hold up when you clean the floor.

• Sharon
      Sharon

it wont hold up well..heavy traffic area. I would certainly NOT USE BLEACH to clean the floor with.

• Susan
      Susan

it's SHELF LINER people ! Handle with care, damp mop, no shoes, etc. just common sense

• Hb
      Hb

It looks lovely and you did a superb job laying it but I dont think it will last very long . The minute someone moves a chair or something is dropped on it it will tear and removing it could be quite a chore . But good on you for trying in a difficult situation

• Susan
      Susan

how long has it been down? can we see a photo after a year or so? id love to try it, it is so creative!

• Lia Liz Noland Rohrbach
      Lia Liz Noland Rohrbach

I plan to use it on the bathroom floor where we only use socks and its not heavily trafficked. I think we WILL need to be careful with making sure we use area rugs and towels for the excess moisture

• Cindy
      Cindy

Contact paper is good stuff, but it is paper so it must be treated as such. I used it to make a back splash in an old house I'd bought. It worked great and was easy to keep clean. Just water and a cloth and it was good to go.

• Kathleen Freaney
      Kathleen Freaney

Probably do well in bedrooms

• Tin13057546
      Tin13057546

I'd go the expense of laminate or allure traffic master and not worry about the contact paper wearing, tearing or anything. The allure is very easy to install and waterproof.

• Fal11195282
    Fal11195282

How slippery is the floor?

• Tin15342528
    Tin15342528

Do you not have to seal it with something durable,a coating of some sort,after all the walking on it and is only a lining,looks beautiful alright?

• Cwilson
      Cwilson

If I did this floor I would seal it with clear coat just like a paper bag floor. It's will last much longer if you don't wear shoes on it.

• Susan
      Susan

unless this is a rental !! Your landlord MIGHT let you seal it - and if not, just be careful until you can move out! ha

• Inspired Spaces
      Inspired Spaces

I would go ahead and seal it right away while its newly laid but use the outdoor clear concrete or aggregate sealer found at Home Depot of Lowe's. It'll give you a rock hard finish that you can wipe clean. 3 coats. Your landlord surely won't complain about that improvement ! Well done.

• Helene
      Helene

From the pictures it looks real and amazing!

• Franne
      Franne

If my tenant laid down sticky contact paper over perfectly fine flooring, I would want to charge them for the complete removal of all adhesive.

• Franne
      Franne

Especially without my profit permission.

• Franne
      Franne

Prior permission.

• Jmauermeyer
    Jmauermeyer

How about moisture !? I'd be worried in a kitchen the wear and tare and Heat from oven might just cause it to peel !? And how about washing ~ looks terrific but how long will it look so nice ?!

• Susan
      Susan

heat RISES so the floor will be fine - with common sense --wear and "tear" will be minimal if you --damp mop, not wearing shoes if possible, no abrasive cleansers... it should last for years. This stuff if for shelf lining, but should hold up with easy care.

• Irene C Regan
      Irene C Regan

I used contact paper years ago. Did counter tops, refrigerator, cabinets. It never lifted even around sinks. I used to use water with a drop of dish soap and sprayed on surfaces. It was easy to move paper around and would dry with no problem. Contact paper was a big thing back in the day.

• Since I can't afford to put new wooden stairs in, in place of my carpet over plywood. Instead, I ripped up the carpet, filled the holes in the plywood, sanded them to a smooth feel, and painted it with oil based prime. Now that they are sealed, my next step is contact paper that looks like wood. Since we'll be walking on those a lot, I plan on covering the contact paper with acrylic.

• Victoria Davis
      Victoria Davis

Contact paper can be slippery so be extra careful on stairs! It also I leaves a sticky residue that is really hard to get up. If renting make sure you have permission from the landlord!

• Sto9987562
      Sto9987562

But taking it off when you move out would be a nightmare!!! That adhesive will need to be removed by some heavy duty chemicals that could damage the original floor.

• Nancy Wilson
      Nancy Wilson

Goo Gone is the best solution for removing sticky residue if you peel up the contact paper. It might take a few applications but it will come up.

• Linda Harazin
      Linda Harazin

Contact paper does srink over time and is very hard to pull off.

• Betty Wampler
      Betty Wampler

I love this idea. Just what I need in my small kitchen bath.

• Dianne White
      Dianne White

Can you imagine how many gallons of "Goo Gone" it would take to remove the sticky residue from an entire floor ? Being a landlord, I'd be pissed to have to deal with the sticky floor after the tenants moved out.

• Susan Smith
      Susan Smith

Actually WD-40 works great and it's not too expensive, it's all natural.

• Melissa V
      Melissa V

She states that this is wallpaper. Did any of you read that in the materials list? Contact Paper peel n stick WALLPAPER...not regular shelf paper. It has a different adhesive, not sure if it's meant for floors, but it's not your mama's contact paper 😉

• Phy4035469
    Phy4035469

how does this floor s tand up

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

It seems to be doing great so far! If you aren't a renter someone mentioned sealing it in with floor wax. If you are able to do a more permanent installation this may be a good idea. Honestly this brand of contact paper was SUPER strong and seems that it will hold up pretty well though!

• Jackie Lowe
    Jackie Lowe

will this hold up if you frequently mop ?

• Theresa
      Theresa

I'd say no. I used the same contact paper under my sink as liner and it came up wihin a month. All you need is to have a little air bubble.....

• Larrie Puryear
      Larrie Puryear

I used contact paper in my bath room, when I couldn't get the landlord's to retile the floor. It lasted about 3 years. Just a damp mop with cleaner on the mop.

• Beth
      Beth

Sure it looks okay, but there is no way this will last. I understand having a budget but this is foolish.

• Dody
      Dody

Ouch! Beth

• Dasha
      Dasha

U did what you had to do .. and you did a great job .

• Sherry Hamlin
      Sherry Hamlin

Yes you did!!!

• Caroline Aguilar
      Caroline Aguilar

It's an inexpensive enough fix if you're renting a place and the flooring bothers you and the landlord won't change it. Regular sweeping and light mopping should actually keep it looking good for awhile. Obviously if it's a heavily trafficked area with kids and pets, than it won't look good for too long.

• Pawna
    Pawna

Why didn't you slide out the appliances?

• LDodd
      LDodd

Unless they were lifted and set in place, putting them back in place would probably have meant sliding them and that would have torn the contact paper.

• Eliza Spear
      Eliza Spear

Just for future reference, if you cut2 pieces of plywood the size of the fridge bottom, put one under the fridge and keep it there. When you have to pull the fridge out, put the second one in front of the fridge, pull the fridge out onto it, do whatever you need to do and push it back again. It will never touch the flooring that way and the extra piece can be stored along side the fridge when you don't need it. Also works fore stoves.

• Jane
    Jane

it looks great but after a short while i can imagine without somekind of polyurethane or sealer its gonna start tearing from nicks and scrapes of normal use (.ie shoes?)! ?

• Sherry Hamlin
      Sherry Hamlin

I did a dresser for kids room and put 2 coats of floor wax on it and it lasted til I sold it 25 yrs later!!!

• Rainbow50
      Rainbow50

my thought exactly; I would definitely put a coat to seal it once done

• Susan
      Susan

Sherry, I imagine there would be a significant difference in the wear and tear factor between a bedroom dresser and a kitchen floor. Aldo, I put Contact paper under a kitchen sink and it wasn't long before it didn't look too good -sliding stuff around, putting damp bottles on top, etc.

• Pamela
      Pamela

Why all the negativity? Throw a couple of rugs on it and it will be fine. I think its a good rental idea and kudos for her for trying something.

• Marion Lansford
      Marion Lansford

No negativity. Just a conversation, a back and forth. Similar to what we would do if we were gathered at her house for coffee!

• MD
      MD

Love it! Im stealing your idea for a couple of rooms in my house:) I think I will seal with Poly or something since I am thinking for the sun porch and hallway.

• Mawmawkathy9
      Mawmawkathy9

Thinking of doing this for my living room. This way I can change my floor covering any time I want to, to any design I want, for the cost of a dinner out on the weekend. I would have a whole lot more to show for the money spent too!! :D

• Mawmawkathy9
      Mawmawkathy9

PS:. I own my small home, so no need to worry.

• Terri Tennant
    Terri Tennant

How well would this hold up to traffic and cleaning? Looks great, but I covered my desk at school and it's coming loose at the seams

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

The brand I used was AMAZING so I think it is going to hold up pretty well. I used a different brand for another project one time and it was MUCH less sticky and less likely to be as durable. Someone also mentioned putting a coat of floor wax over it to seal it in. I wouldn't do that if you are a renter and looking for a temporary fix, but otherwise it may be a good way to go!

• Lisa
    Lisa

how do you clean the floor now that you have contact paper down? did you have to seal it? If so with what?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

If you are able to make it permanent several people have mentioned sealing it with a floor wax. It has a nice finish itself so if you need to keep it temporary it should be able to withstand regular mopping. Another lady mentioned she put down contact paper flooring 5 years ago and it has held up great with normal sweeping and light mopping.

• Renata
    Renata

I think that you had a great idea and a big KUDOS for your work! My question is : Why is the refrigerator partially in the other room? lol

• Carly Farley
      Carly Farley

probably cause it's a small space.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I think it is because it's a small space. I did this at a friend's apartment and they mentioned they had removed a wall from there and done some construction so perhaps everything got bumped around a bit.

• Cheryl Brown
      Cheryl Brown

I would imagine it did not originally have that cabinet between the frig and stove.

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

Either what Cheryl said or maybe they just wanted a bigger refrigerator and that's the only way it could fit.
  • Sherrie cooke
    Sherrie cooke

How do you clean it?

• Kathy York
    Kathy York

Will it last through moping or should I put some kind of sealer on it.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

If you want a permanent option you can seal it with floor wax.

• Kathy York
      Kathy York

Thanks I going to do this. 😄

• Pam Hurlock Fitch
      Pam Hurlock Fitch

Great!! Most folks who mentioned "poly" to seal and for me that would certainly ruin the idea of it being an easy project! Although I have to add that I will have to look up just how difficult floor wax would be!!
      ..0
    • Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

@Pam Hurlock Fitch Just so you know, putting on regular polyacrylic isn't very hard. You basically paint it on. I have even heard of people using a foam roller to do most of the job. However, it will make it more permanent so that defeats the point of what she did. It's supposed to be temporary because she's a renter. There are all kinds of wax, from liquids to pastes. If you decide to wax, I'd suggest something like a paste car wax that should be more durable, but it won't be as easy to do as a liquid.
  • Michele
    Michele

How much does it cost, and where is a good place to purchase it?

• 153091
      153091

I found mine on Amazon. I use it for my" old windows" as a back drop.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I believe these were around 12-15/ roll and they were found on Amazon. There is a range of prints and prices.

• Diane Marie
    Diane Marie

Could this be used on cabinets?

• Patricia Darrow
      Patricia Darrow

My daughter lived in a mobile home and hated her cabinets, used this on her cabinets and it looked perfect and lasted many years without peeling. she was careful to fold over and around the ends of the cabinet doors, which was all she used it on. she painted the strips of wood on the base of cabinets.

• Aun7746338
      Aun7746338

It can be done, doesn't look that good and it's hard to get off.

• Afsaneh25
    Afsaneh25

If we walk on them,They wouldn't last,Kitchen has lots of traffic,how long do you think this contact paper last?How can you wash them? Thank you

• Kim435488
      Kim435488

I had the exact same thought about this project. I wonder if there is a "finish" you could put over the contact paper?!

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

You can mop as normal, or use a swiffer style to help keep them in contact. Another lady mentioned she has had this treatment on a bathroom floor for 5 years and it has held up great so I think it is just a matter of getting a good brand of contact paper.

• Patty
      Patty

I wonder if putting couple coats of poly on them would make them stronger. I was wondering about a floor that has vinyl on it and you know they have raised arias and I wondered if I would need to put filler under the contact paper.

• J.A.
      J.A.

It will work on flat tiles or linoleum but if you are in an apartment be sure to get approval from the landlord in writing. Sometimes these won't come up when they are removed. Our apartment building with 60 units tried this in the hallways after removing the carpeting. It worked and is still working 4 years later. If you put poly on the floor, the paper will not come up.

• Tammy Sea
      Tammy Sea

Putting poly on them would defeat the purpose of being removable.

• Kim435488
      Kim435488

Awesome to lasting 5 years in a bathroom!! It looks GREAT!! Thank you for sharing :)))

• Julie Theresa
      Julie Theresa

Nice project but; you could buy new proper flooring vinyl for the expense of all of this. And health and safety wise this is not suitable for floors.Dangerous.

• Twyla Abdullah
      Twyla Abdullah

Okay... I'm curious or maybe even clueless but what are the health and safety issues with this?

• Michelle Maloney
      Michelle Maloney

Ummmmmmm.. No ideas over here either!

• Sheri Partridge
      Sheri Partridge

The only health & safety issue I can think of is that the surface might be really slick and could cause someone to slip and fall. Seems to be an extremely remote possibility, no worse than a laminate or solid granite floor.

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

The point she was making is that she couldn't redo the floor because she's renting. She used this as a temporary solution.
  • Sue Schreiber Whited
    Sue Schreiber Whited

Can you put on wood floors that are uneven a bit?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I would say give it a shot! I saw someone install contact paper over tile by a fire place and it worked over the grout quite well!

• Jackie
    Jackie

Is this paper washable? Can I clean it by mopping?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

You can mop it, I just would try not to use steam or an insane amount of water.

• Tammy Sea
      Tammy Sea

I have doubts as to how well this will hold up, and I would think that mopping would eventually have detrimental affects on the adhesive. I suppose just a damp mop might be okay, but no scrubbing.

• Sandy Ryan
      Sandy Ryan

I have hideous wood floors in the kitchen that are chipped/split and uneven. I will try this. Your floors is beautiful!

• Mary
    Mary

My floor has badly installed tile that is chipped. Could I use filler to even out the floor? If so, what should I use?

• Kathy Thibodeaux
    Kathy Thibodeaux

What does it look like after a couple of months? Where and tear with traffic?

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

Good question

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

We won't be able to tell for a while, but I will certainly report back! Someone else mentioned they had theirs for a couple years and it still looks great!

• Naomi Hoeppner Knowles
      Naomi Hoeppner Knowles

I imagine, if washed with a damp cloth rather than a wet mop, if the adhesive is any good it'd last awhile. Even if it only lasts a couple years, that's just pennies compared to new floors.

• Stacy Leary
    Stacy Leary

My linoleum is bad in the kitchen. It has cuts in it where things were dropped or a hole by the floor grates as we have forced hot air. Will this go smooth over these spots or is there someway to fix that first??? I love this idea! 💜🌹💜

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I would try to use a vinyl putty to fill in those cracks just to be safe beforehand. The contact paper would probably go over it smoothly, but could get more easily pierced since there isn't technically a surface underneath. They sell stuff called fix-a-floor at Home Depot that may work depending on what sort of flooring you have.

• Reba
    Reba

What happens when its torn or gets wet?

• Liza
    Liza

Do you think putting a varnish or sealant over it would help?

• Simplyredeemed08
      Simplyredeemed08

Im wondering the same thing! I looove this idea, but afraid it wouldn't hold up very long in high traffic areas.

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

Unfortunately this will make it a permanent installation, but if you don't mind that then go for it!

• Vic22332216
    Vic22332216

How does it clean up with everyday use?

• Lydia Doak
    Lydia Doak

Does it remove easily, after a year?
  • Lee
    Lee

What about dogs and sometings have accidenis too small dogs
  • Jan Johnson Murray
    Jan Johnson Murray

How can you keep it clean without it getting wrecked?
  • Mary doughty
    Mary doughty

can you mop it?
    • Letty Coker
      Letty Coker

Yes, just like any other floor. I've "re-decorated" with contact paper for over 40 years. It is really very durable!
  • Priscilla
    Priscilla

Wouldn't the contact paper be too fragile to use in a floor? It would tear easily not only by walking on it, and mopping it?
    • Chelsey
      Chelsey

I have it on my counter Tops and it has started to fade after a year or so. but mine has gotten wet and it's still stuck down. I think it could work besides the fading part.
    • Haley
      Haley

It's quite a bit more durable than I imagined it would be! BUT...keep in mind this is not supposed to be a super durable, or even long-term alternative to flooring, but it's a wonderful TEMPORARY solution for renters who cannot permanently update their home as they might like. A top coat/sealant would definitely make this last longer, which I HIGHLY recommend for homeowners using it as actual "flooring-redo," but a sealant in this case would defeat the purpose of it being a renter's TEMPORARY cover-up, easily removable (as well as non-altering, and non-damaging upon removal) flooring solution. Plus it's cheap enough to redo every so often, or just simply get rid of if it proves to be too weak for a particular area's traffic or lifestyle:-) For example I had it in my laundry room which is also our entryway and HECK NO, didn't last, but it worked great in another room:-)
    • Pam Hurlock Fitch
      Pam Hurlock Fitch

I've wanted to do a similar project in my kitchen and bath with something heavier that I saw on Rachel Ray. The DIY person used a rolling pin to put the stuff down. It was in strips. I think in the kitchen, taped down throw rugs or a runner that might not need taped down where the dog runs and slides to get to the breezeway would take care of her tearing it up. Over the weekend I noticed they carry the wood looking contact paper at Dollar Tree. I just don't know if it would be less durable and/or thinner than what you found?

• Ronnie
    Ronnie

Hi, very nice article. I´m definitely sold on the idea.
    My concern is that the tiles in my apartment (rental) are not as closed to each other as the ones in your sample. Wondering if that would be a problem. Please, See pics attached for your review.
    • C
      C

Her tiles were peel and stick. Yours look like ceramic. You might have to try a couple of different patterns before you find one that won't "show" where the grout lines are.
  • Donne Weyers
    Donne Weyers

You don't seal it with anything wouldn't it ruin if you spilled on it or moved a chair over it?
    • Sidney Rippy McLaughlin
      Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I don't think spills would hurt much because it's plastic, but I can't imagine it being durable enough for a floor, especially in a busy room. Plus, it's really hard to roll it out without getting air bubbles under it.
    • Haley
      Haley

keep in mind this is not supposed to be an in reduy durable, or even long-term flooring alternative, but it's works as a wonderful temporary solution for renters who cannot permanently update their home as they might like. A top coat would definitely make this last longer and I'd recommend it for homeowners using it as actual "flooring," but a sealant in this case would defeat the purpose of it being a renter's easily removable (as well as non-altering, and non-damaging upon removal), temporary cover-up flooring solution. Plus it's cheap enough to redo every so often, or just simply get rid of if it proves to be too weak for a particular areas traffic:-)
  • Polly Curtiss
    Polly Curtiss

You're saying you can easily remove the contact paper. I have my doubts.

I once removed old contact paper from a desk top, what a chore. Also, did you get permission from the landlord?
    • Julie Endlich
      Julie Endlich

I TOTALLY agree. I had to once remove contact paper and it is a LOT of works. Rips off piece by piece ... not in one big piece. Those saying "no problem, use Goo Gone" ... that is not the answer. Goo Gone is only good once you have spent hours removing the contact paper. I will almost guarantee the landlord will be keeping her deposit to deal with this.

• Carla Joyner
    Carla Joyner

how does it clean
  • Mary Howard
    Mary Howard

What happens when you mop/clean your floors? What about the usage in that area? Will that cause the paper to move and shift?
  • Purtty123
    Purtty123

Would this work on ceramic tiles?
  • Teresa McQueen
    Teresa McQueen

What do you clean it with so as to not lift contact paper up from the floor
  • Barbara Whorley-Lynn
    Barbara Whorley-Lynn

isn't the paper going to tear after walking on it a few times
    • Lho8229599
      Lho8229599

yes it will .. and you can't mop it many times.. can't believe any one would do that to their floors.
    • Kathy Finnegan
      Kathy Finnegan

I have cats. This would last about 45 minutes.
    • Cuz5831275
      Cuz5831275

I have seen this done on floors with a coat or two of polyurethane put over it, and it will be more durable and last quite longer. I have done it on cabinets, and on walls and it makes a beautilful transformation.
    • Charly
      Charly

Contact paper is NOT paper. It is vinyl. Great job. Looks good.
    • Merridee
      Merridee

i have apt and they put new tile on kitchen and goes really ice with old carpet, am thinking of doing this in our bathroom, so it matches carpet, currently it is a old yellowed/white vinyl that has been repaired by cutting out torn areas and glue in another piece...slum repair is what I call this kind of repairs., so to make bathroom look better I am thinking of doing this, I would probably need two lg rolls small bathroom, however, need to do behind toilet one might work, thinking of doing brittle wooden doors too. thaks for the idea
    • Merrilee Morrison-Cotter
      Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

Looks great. Also works well with polyurethane on a kitchen table. My mom's held up for decades.
  • Lolita Basco
    Lolita Basco

How durable and how long it will last of this contact paper flooring last?
  • Lianne Clare
    Lianne Clare

How does this hold up to cleaning?
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie

When you have to remove it. How do you get all the sticky backing off the original floor? My landlord would be so upset.
    • P
      P

WD40 or GooBe Gone will remove almost ANY adhesive! probably would unsticky the floor - then must follow with detergent, spic n span or Mr. Clean to get the slippery petroleum byproduct (WD40, etc.) off the floor
    • Myriah
      Myriah

FYI, WD40 is NOT a petroleum product, but fish oil.

• Andreacaa
      Andreacaa

That is incorrect. Google it. It is petroleum based.

• Loi21243069
    Loi21243069

How are you going to pull or slide out the 'fridge and the stove for cleaning and vacuuming up dust bunnies ? Sliding these out later would get stuck on the edges of the new flooring . I would remove the 'fridge and stove first then slide them back in ..... hint..... using a rug or large towel underneath.
    • Alison Empey
      Alison Empey

Ditto...gotta get the dust bunnies periodically...won't the contact paper tear?

• V Smith
      V Smith

No one should be pulling on a gas range.
    • Deana
      Deana

this may look good for the moment but in a very short period of time it will be worn out and tearing. Better to replace the floor or if that’s not possible then just deal with it till it is possible. Good idea but not reasonable for long term. Sorry
    • Katie Nadea
      Katie Nadea

Just to move my refrigerator and clean or my washer/dryer, tears REAL vinyl. This is a horrible idea. As previous posters mentioned, the wear on it is quick and the aftermath clean up a nightmare.
    • Emily
      Emily

I dunno. In a rental, how often does one clean under the stove and fridge? In my world - never. I scootch the skinny nozzle of the vacuum as far as I can a couple of times a year, but that's all.
    • Kim
      Kim

I'm with Emily
    • Dianne
      Dianne

Sorry - don't think this is a HORRIBLE idea....I think it's brilliant - who cares if it doesn't last forever... if you don't have a TON of kids or pets running all over it then it will last a while - if not - time to change things up a bit... the whole point of this forum is to give inspiration and ideas to others NOT to mock what we don't understand or approve it... keep up the good work poster - great idea :)
    • Roberta
      Roberta

Can there be a Wax put on over this??

• T davidson
    T davidson

Many years ago when using contact paper was the rage in place of wallpaper. we would have to overlap the seans because once they had sat awhile the seans Did not meet, it was as though contact paper had shrunk. I’m not good with words ir explaining things but hope you get my meaning. Is overlapping still needed?
    • Bunny
      Bunny

This kind of Contact Paper is not the same as years ago. This is much more expensive per roll and much stronger than the cheaper version that you can still buy today! I bought the white marble pattern to cover the countertop area of my bathroom sink vanity. Cost was about $30 for the roll - and it looks gorgeous!
    • T davidson
      T davidson

Thank you so much. I’m way behinh the times. When you covered your sink did you use any type of water repellent?
    • Toolpro
      Toolpro

I'm thinking that the countertop contact paper could also be covered with polyurethane for a long lasting finish.
    • T davidson
      T davidson

Thank you. Good idea

• Jojo Snow
    Jojo Snow

So how many days did it last?
    • GoddessOdd
      GoddessOdd

My question too. I have dogs and cats and all kinds of messes... and I just can't see this holding up through regular mopping and all the hard use a kitchen floor gets. Even covering it with a rug to protect the most used spots would still leave a lot of floor to wear out. I would say this might last a few weeks, if I was very VERY careful and kept the animals out of it most of the time.
    • Kat10044299
      Kat10044299

2 Coats of Polyurethane and it lasts a long time!- Try it!
  • Suz
    Suz

If you do this in a rental you will have to remove it before move out. I can't imagine how hard it would be to remove. Any suggestions on how to remove?
    • Jackie Weibly
      Jackie Weibly

Heat with a hair dryer before removing each area. Use alcohol to remove any remaining sticky stuff on the floor.
    • Ran22549902
      Ran22549902

Hey!!!
      i can’t imagine it not leaving a residue behind.
    • Jill Ron Pike
      Jill Ron Pike

The residue is removed using alcohol.
    • Julie Endlich
      Julie Endlich

It does not come up easily, at all, if it has been there any length of time. I know, I had to remove tons of it in a home I purchased.

• Shari
    Shari

I’m wondering how you keep the contact paper clean? I am always cleaning up water on the kitchen floor (kids, hubby and dog)! If you seal it will you be able to lift it off on moving day?
  • Janet Zimmer
    Janet Zimmer

I love this idea and think it looks great but will the contact paper hold up? It seems like it would tear very easily. Just wouldn’t want to do all that and have it ruined in just a few minutes.
    Unfortuantly u have a husband that comes home with work boots or almost any shoes for that matter......just asking? it does look great though!!
    • Faith Bowling
      Faith Bowling

I was thinking that it can be covered with polyurethane. There's even some type that's supposed to be equivalent to about 8 coats. When in college I lived in an old mobile home and did this. It did wear quickly, but visitors thought it was worn hardwood, and it still looked good.

• Gay30034486
    Gay30034486

Would the removal contact paper work as well? Also how do you clean it?

• Jackie Whitley
    Jackie Whitley

Would this work on cement floors that look like red brick tile with ugl dirty grout??

• Julia Sipe Bentley
    Julia Sipe Bentley

While I think this is appears to be an improvement over the existing floor, my concern, aside from peeling or tearing, would be when you try to take it up. How do you know it isn't going to ruin or tear the existing floor when you take it up?

• Pam Kangas
      Pam Kangas

I wondered the same thing. I put down some vinyl flooring that comes in rolls at Home Depot on a floor that needed a quick temporary fix. Same idea but no adhesive and much heavier weight vinyl. It was about $25 for a 8ft x 12 ft roll. It’s heavy enough I just rolled it out and trimmed it to size and it stays put. It I wanted it gone I would just roll it back up. Worst case maybe a little double-sided tape to secure the edges. Seems like a safer bet and nearly as cheap.

• Christine
    Christine

I really want to try this. What do I need to put over it after laying the paper down? Do i need to put any polyurethane on it to make it more durable?

• Marie Zarlingo
      Marie Zarlingo

If you live in a rental I wouldn't use polyurethane on the contact paper. It could deep in between the seams, and ruin the floor underneath. If you have the contact paper on top of laminate flooring, it may take the top layer of the laminate up when you eventually remove it. Especially if its been down on the original flooring for a while where people have walked on it. She could take a roll of rosin paper from a hardware store, tape peices together to make a template to fit the floor. Then cover the template with the contact paper. Then when you need to take it up it shouldn't ruin the floors underneath.

• Sher
    Sher

My kitchen floor looks just like your old one. Yuck!! There are a few places where I had to take it up due to the room flooding. Any suggestions on what I'd need to do prior to applying the contact paper?

Where did you purchase the contact paper?

Many thanks!

• Rhonda Wood
    Rhonda Wood

What's the best way to clean it after its down and do you seal it?

• Angela Dianne
      Angela Dianne

I want to know about cleaning it as well.

• Carmen Sockie Nunez
      Carmen Sockie Nunez

I din't seal mine. I just put the paper on top of the peel and stick tiles that were there already. I use a damp mop. It's holding up pretty good so far.

• Laurie Meyers
    Laurie Meyers

You say it holds up under traffic. For how long? How much trafic? I would like to put it in the bedroom with a cat.

• Rena Mallory
    Rena Mallory

The faux contact flooring project. Does this work on painted plain wood floors?

• Kayissan
    Kayissan

How can I take care of my carpet at home for it not to always get dirty? I'm so tired of cleaning and washing it all the time

• Lady Coyote
      Lady Coyote

Get a Mat, have everyone remove their shoes at the entrance. Get a Roomba, or the most expensive, replace the carpet with hardwood floors.

• Joy Berry Newbern
    Joy Berry Newbern

Did you seal the contact paper with anything afterwards? How do you clean the floors ?

• Khristi. Ates
    Khristi. Ates

I love this project. My floors are concrete, would the contact paper work on my floors? How would I prep my floors so that the contact paper would stick?

• Stormy
      Stormy

I wouldn't advice this on concrete floors. Concrete is far too porous and contact paper needs a slick surface to adhere to with no texture. The reliability of contact paper to stick to any surface is dicey at best. This looks pretty, however, as she mentioned high traffic areas would not hold up to it. I'm thinking that she must not use her kitchen that much... haha :)

• Autumn Blyss
      Autumn Blyss

Maybe if you dont walk on it with shoes

• Kevin
      Kevin

I dont think this is a good idea for concrete use paint

• Autumn Blyss
    Autumn Blyss

What about when you wash it and it wont RIP when you walk on it

• Kevin
      Kevin

use a damp towel JUST hot water and dry fast with a paper towel - NOT to hold up to 5 kids and a dog, great for a single person, couple.

• Chakka1
    Chakka1

how long does the contact paper last on a floor ? a week?

• Barb
      Barb

probably not much longer

• Kevin
      Kevin

Chakka Khan,

NOT hold up to 5 kids and a dog BUT a single person or couple go gently it may last a while - i suggest a damp mop and dry towel hot water NOTHING else for cleaning....and its CHEAP y'all remember that a new floor for $20

Kevin

• Shirley LeCompte Elgas
      Shirley LeCompte Elgas

I had it on my floor in my rental apartment in San Diego for two years. Did not have a pet to scratch it up. Noone knew it was fake floor till I told them. It held up very well easy to clean and remove with a hair dryer and a little GOOP for a couple of tough spots.

• Wendy Tillery
    Wendy Tillery

I am going to do this..just one question..if there are tears in the linoleum, how can you repair before putting down the contact paper

• Fred Hussey
    Fred Hussey

Putting contact paper over linoleum or conglouem floor. How do clean it. If mop it the contact paper will come loose

• Nobi
    Nobi

Would this work in a small bathroom?

• Nobi
    Nobi

Would this work in a small bathroom?

• Lydia
    Lydia

How long did the paper remain without holes, peeling etc.

• Veronica Ronnie Taylor
    Veronica Ronnie Taylor

So many questions so little answers.....It would be nice if the project maker gave some advice on some of the questions....

• Lori
    Lori

I just don't think this will be very durable, especially in a kitchen...