Life Up On The Hill
Life Up On The Hill
  • Fort Knox, KY

DIY Photo Transfer Cubes

I cannot wait to share this week's DIY project with you! It's a photo transfer technique using 1Gel, your favorite photos and some wood blocks! So let's get started with a brief overview, then you can jump on over to my page for the detailed operation!
diy photo transfer cubes
Grab yourself a 4x4 post from your local DIY store and sweet talk those sweet folks into cutting it into 4x4 blocks. Next, you'll head on back home, get out the sand paper and sand off the rough edges.
diy photo transfer cubes
Once you've chosen the photos you're going to use, have them printed out on copy paper and mirrored. Brush this magic solution in a bottle, called 1Gel from Heirloom Traditions Paint, on one side of the block and the image.
diy photo transfer cubes
Now lay your coated image faced down onto the coated side of the wood block. Wait 6-8 hours for the medium to dry. Once it is dry to the touch, grab a water spray bottle and mist it real good! Take your pretty fingers and in a circular motion, begin rubbing the paper off.
diy photo transfer cubes
It will take several times of misting the paper and rubbing it off to reveal the crisp image.
diy photo transfer cubes
Once, you've removed all the paper, you will see that you're left with a beautiful image. It is permanent and will not rub off. To complete your project, use a clear or brown antique wax to seal your image.
I'd love to have you join me over on my blog, for more detailed directions.

• Wood blocks
  • 1Gel transfer medium

Life Up On The Hill

• Anita Dinsmore

What do you mean by mirrored?

• Senior Chief

It means the copy was made so objects on the right will appear on the left (like when you look in a mirror). This will make text read correctly when transferred to the block (also wedding rings will be on the correct hand on the finished project ☺) Your computer printer or photo software should have an option to do this.

• Rosalind Jones

what do you mean about mirrored

• Life Up On The Hill

When you have the picture printed ask them to mirror the image. It flips the design so that when you lay it face down in the 1Gel and transfers the image is seen the way it was taken.:)

• Rosalind Jones

what do you mean about mirrored

• Julie Mullins

I really like this

• Ann

Nicely done! I've done photo blocks with black and white prints decoupaged on Dollar Store alphabet blocks. I'll have to try your technique.