I went to Walmart to see if I could find something small and inexpensive to experiment on. If this turned out to be a total fail, I didn't want to have invested a lot of money. 74 cents... that seemed ok, even better than the Dollar Store.
Glass Bead Vase / Candle Holder
This project was only around $6 for the supplies needed. I posted an inspiration picture in Discussions/Ask Question (A new feature at Hometalk, I highly recommend that you check it out!) It was of a vase or candle holder that was in a vacation rental that we were at 4 years ago. I have always intended to try to recreate a version of it but never got around to it. I really wanted to give it a try but wasn't sure how to go about it. It was simply made with beads but it was so pretty and unique. I loved it! I posted the picture for inspiration in that forum to the whole Hometalk community and the next thing I knew, I was super motivated to make it and I was being encouraged by other Hometalkers. If you want to see the post that led to this tutorial, you can find it here... http://www.hometalk.com/27511630/e-seed-bead-and-sequin-vases?scid=3709125
I also bought some beads. I had some at home but wasn't sure if I could find them and these were very budget friendly. I bought 3 different colors.
Here are the items that I started with
- Modge Podge (Matte)
- Dylusions Spray in Vibrant Turquoise
- my 3 types of beads
- candle holders
I ended up using Mod Podge Hard Coat because my Matte was old and gloppy. I tried to tell where the Matte had been and where the Hard Coat was and I couldn't tell, so I think you can use either successfully.
Here is a picture of one of the decor items that I wanted to recreate...
And this is the other...
Create Colored Mod Podge
I poured some Mod Podge in a plastic cup and sprayed in some Dylusions Spray.
I stirred it with a Popsicle stick.
Paint the Candle Holder
I began at the bottom with the candle holder inverted on a small craft paint container.
I used a paint brush to spread the paint down the glass. Since it was the bottom, I decided not to start with my newly purchased beads, just some that were hanging around the craft room. At this point, I wasn't sure it would work and I didn't want to waste my new beads. To my surprise, it worked!
I found it helpful to lay it on its side with something inside to hold it and press the beads with a popsicle stick. Whenever I used my finger, they would stick to my finger and come off... every single time...
Work in Small Areas
I tried to work in small areas and let it dry. Sometimes they needed some structure below and beside them to stay in place with the wet glue. In this picture, I added some tinted Mod Podge to some "holes"... Every thing around this area was dry and allowed structure for the new beads that I would sprinkle in.
Fill in Holes
Here the beads have been added and the "holes" filled in. Once it is dry, I will rotate and fill in the next area until I have the look that I want. Rotating the glass candleholder as it drys. If you look very closely at the bottom of this picture there is a teeny tiny red seed bead that came from somewhere... it is there to stay, I CAN'T GET IT OFF. I didn't notice it until it was dried in place.
It didn't come out looking like my inspiration piece but I love it! I think all in, this project probably was around $6. And to me it is a priceless one-of-kind piece of art that I created.
I also made the space saving (completely breaks down to fit in a small space) and convertible (floor can be the wall and visa versa) backdrop that you see in this last picture. If you think a portable backdrop tutorial would be of interest, just comment below and I will post one.
Here is a small snippet of my process...
Here is a shot of a tea light candle inside in the top left picture... One container of beads came VERY close to covering the entire surface of the candle holder. I love peeking inside and seeing that the inside is as pretty as the outside.