Glass Bead Vase / Candle Holder

$6
1 Day

This project was only around $6 for the supplies needed. I posted an inspiration picture in Discussions/Ask Question (A new feature at Hometalk, I highly recommend that you check it out!) It was of a vase or candle holder that was in a vacation rental that we were at 4 years ago. I have always intended to try to recreate a version of it but never got around to it. I really wanted to give it a try but wasn't sure how to go about it. It was simply made with beads but it was so pretty and unique. I loved it! I posted the picture for inspiration in that forum to the whole Hometalk community and the next thing I knew, I was super motivated to make it and I was being encouraged by other Hometalkers. If you want to see the post that led to this tutorial, you can find it here... http://www.hometalk.com/27511630/e-seed-bead-and-sequin-vases?scid=3709125

Candle Holder

I went to Walmart to see if I could find something small and inexpensive to experiment on. If this turned out to be a total fail, I didn't want to have invested a lot of money. 74 cents... that seemed ok, even better than the Dollar Store.

Beads

I also bought some beads. I had some at home but wasn't sure if I could find them and these were very budget friendly. I bought 3 different colors.

Here are the items that I started with

• Modge Podge (Matte)
  • Dylusions Spray in Vibrant Turquoise
  • my 3 types of beads
  • candle holders

I ended up using Mod Podge Hard Coat because my Matte was old and gloppy. I tried to tell where the Matte had been and where the Hard Coat was and I couldn't tell, so I think you can use either successfully.

Seed Bead Vase / Candle Holder

Here is a picture of one of the decor items that I wanted to recreate...

Sequin Vase / Candle Holder

And this is the other...

Create Colored Mod Podge

Create Colored Mod Podge

I poured some Mod Podge in a plastic cup and sprayed in some Dylusions Spray.

Mix

I stirred it with a Popsicle stick.

Paint the Candle Holder

Paint the Candle Holder

I began at the bottom with the candle holder inverted on a small craft paint container.

Add Beads

Add Beads

I used a paint brush to spread the paint down the glass. Since it was the bottom, I decided not to start with my newly purchased beads, just some that were hanging around the craft room. At this point, I wasn't sure it would work and I didn't want to waste my new beads. To my surprise, it worked!

Glue Beads to Candle Holder

I found it helpful to lay it on its side with something inside to hold it and press the beads with a popsicle stick. Whenever I used my finger, they would stick to my finger and come off... every single time...

Work in Small Areas

Work in Small Areas

I tried to work in small areas and let it dry. Sometimes they needed some structure below and beside them to stay in place with the wet glue. In this picture, I added some tinted Mod Podge to some "holes"... Every thing around this area was dry and allowed structure for the new beads that I would sprinkle in.

Fill in Holes

Fill in Holes

Here the beads have been added and the "holes" filled in. Once it is dry, I will rotate and fill in the next area until I have the look that I want. Rotating the glass candleholder as it drys. If you look very closely at the bottom of this picture there is a teeny tiny red seed bead that came from somewhere... it is there to stay, I CAN'T GET IT OFF. I didn't notice it until it was dried in place.

The Finished Product

It didn't come out looking like my inspiration piece but I love it! I think all in, this project probably was around $6. And to me it is a priceless one-of-kind piece of art that I created.

I also made the space saving (completely breaks down to fit in a small space) and convertible (floor can be the wall and visa versa) backdrop that you see in this last picture. If you think a portable backdrop tutorial would be of interest, just comment below and I will post one.

Add Beads to Candle Holder

Here is a small snippet of my process...

DIY Beaded Candle Holder

Here is a shot of a tea light candle inside in the top left picture... One container of beads came VERY close to covering the entire surface of the candle holder. I love peeking inside and seeing that the inside is as pretty as the outside.

15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas

• Ruth Saldana

What is Dylusions and what is it used for?
    • Stacy Davis

It is described as a high quality acid free colorant. It is used in many arts, crafts, mixed media and more. The colors are really vibrant.

• Kathy Decker

Doesn’t the heat from the candle melt the mod podge?
    • Stacy Davis

My tea light candles haven’t produced enough heat for it to be a problem but they do sell battery operated tea lights that look very realistic.

• Susan

How does Modge Podge work OVER beads? I have a beautiful cross I made of African trade beads and seed beads but I used Weldbond to attach them and some are falling off, so I would like to either epoxy or modge podge over it to hold all the beads in place for perpetuity. Would either work? Epoxy is so much hassle that if modge podge would work, I'd really prefer to use that.

• Bonnie

I have finally found a use for all my beads. Thank you. I am going to use them for

a vase, and put twinkle lights in side. I think........ Will try and put a picture in when finished. Great idea.

• La streight

Your inspirationmpiece looks like sequins were used. Love bothnversions. Cutebidea