Re-grown Veggie Scraps

$21

If you've seen any of my posts in the past regarding anything outdoors, I'm sure you already know that I'm not much of a gardener; however, I do try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What can I say, I'm the Jane of all trades with a brown thumb! I think my problem is that I "set it and forget it" (I know there was once an infomercial where the presenter said that often)--I plant the seed and I forget about watering it, or I overwater it. I'm hoping this little experiment I came across will prove to be a turning point in my gardening skills--at least it's super cute for now--and it's a great way to grow things in a small space!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:
-Pennington 24 in. x 7 in. Dark Flame Tapered Window Box (You can buy it here on Amazon.)
-glass jars
-organic Romaine lettuce
-organic green onions
-kitchen knife
-water
-measuring tape (optional)

Not pictured:
-large garlic cloves
-organic potting soil

STEP 1: Cut veggie scraps
First, I cut the Romaine lettuce 2" from the base...

...I also did the same for the green onions.

STEP 2: Put scraps in jars and add water
Next, I put the base of the lettuce in a glass jar and poured in about 1-2" of water.

I also did the same for the green onions but only needed about 1/2-1" of water.

STEP 3: Let scraps sit and change water
Then, I let the lettuce and and green onions sit in a sunny spot for about 5 days, making sure to change the water everyday.

*Please ignore the lighting here--it was a sunny day and it washed out the color of the lettuce and onions in the shot.

Here is what my lettuce and green onions looked like after 5 days. The lettuce will sprout new leaves out of the middle of the base and the green onions will sprout beautiful green shoots.

STEP 4: Plant scraps
Once my lettuce and onion scraps had good sprouts, I added organic potting soil to my planter box. I think this planter box is beautiful, and it sits perfectly on a windowsill. You can buy it here on Amazon.

Then I planted my lettuce approximately 2" deep.

I also did the same for my green onions. I spaced my onions out about 2-3" from each other.

At the last minute I decided to also plant some garlic. To do this, I simply broke up garlic that I had on hand and took two of the biggest cloves to plant in my planter box.

I made sure to push the garlic down into the soil with the base down and 1-2" apart.

I'm so excited that I was actually able to grow something--and inside nonetheless! This little experiment was so easy and it really gets me pumped for spring--I can't wait to plant more veggies and herbs like tomatoes and basil outdoors.

Isn't the planter box pretty? I really love it.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Pennington-D%C3%A9cor-Matthews-Window-Small/dp/B00N1RZEZK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1487689447&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Pennington+24+in.+x+7+in.+Dark+Flame+Tapered+Window+Box&linkCode=ll1&tag=ctbr-robcourt27788940-20&linkId=785bbce0a34453ec91a7217e44a79fdb" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Pennington 24 in. x 7 in. Dark Flame Tapered Window Box</a>  (Amazon)
  • Glass jars  (on hand)
  • Organic Romaine lettuce  (on hand (from grocery store))

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants

• Gladys Benitez

Kool Beans Indeed. Mine died :):(:(.... I thought roots had to grow before placing in soil. So, how long will these 3 items continue to grow and produce? Did you keep them in the same sunny spot & indoors? Thank You!!
    • Evon Sluder Holt

Just stick it in the dirt without doing the water for roots. It will grow beautifully as long as the squirrels don’t dig it up and eat it. Sneaky little things. Lol

• Cfl12644476

I love this idea! One question...why do you use the most edible part of the scallion as the “scrap” to re-grow?
  • Cindy

Has anyone tried this with cauliflower or broccoli?

Is is the pineapple as sweet as the starter pineapple?
    How large do the pineapples grow?
    • Lyn

I planted the crown with about 1" of the flesh directly in the ground.

The leaves at the base spread out to about 2 ft in diameter.

It took over a year for it to bear fruit (long term patience for me!),

and it was quite sweet, so it was worth the wait for me!