Re-grown Veggie Scraps

$21

If you've seen any of my posts in the past regarding anything outdoors, I'm sure you already know that I'm not much of a gardener; however, I do try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What can I say, I'm the Jane of all trades with a brown thumb! I think my problem is that I "set it and forget it" (I know there was once an infomercial where the presenter said that often)--I plant the seed and I forget about watering it, or I overwater it. I'm hoping this little experiment I came across will prove to be a turning point in my gardening skills--at least it's super cute for now--and it's a great way to grow things in a small space!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

re grown veggie scraps

SUPPLIES:
-Pennington 24 in. x 7 in. Dark Flame Tapered Window Box (You can buy it here on Amazon.)
-glass jars
-organic Romaine lettuce
-organic green onions
-kitchen knife
-water
-measuring tape (optional)

Not pictured:
-large garlic cloves
-organic potting soil

re grown veggie scraps

STEP 1: Cut veggie scraps
First, I cut the Romaine lettuce 2" from the base...

re grown veggie scraps

...I also did the same for the green onions.

re grown veggie scraps

STEP 2: Put scraps in jars and add water
Next, I put the base of the lettuce in a glass jar and poured in about 1-2" of water.

re grown veggie scraps

I also did the same for the green onions but only needed about 1/2-1" of water.

re grown veggie scraps

STEP 3: Let scraps sit and change water
Then, I let the lettuce and and green onions sit in a sunny spot for about 5 days, making sure to change the water everyday.

*Please ignore the lighting here--it was a sunny day and it washed out the color of the lettuce and onions in the shot.

re grown veggie scraps

Here is what my lettuce and green onions looked like after 5 days. The lettuce will sprout new leaves out of the middle of the base and the green onions will sprout beautiful green shoots.

re grown veggie scraps

STEP 4: Plant scraps
Once my lettuce and onion scraps had good sprouts, I added organic potting soil to my planter box. I think this planter box is beautiful, and it sits perfectly on a windowsill. You can buy it here on Amazon.

re grown veggie scraps

Then I planted my lettuce approximately 2" deep.

re grown veggie scraps

I also did the same for my green onions. I spaced my onions out about 2-3" from each other.

re grown veggie scraps

At the last minute I decided to also plant some garlic. To do this, I simply broke up garlic that I had on hand and took two of the biggest cloves to plant in my planter box.

re grown veggie scraps

I made sure to push the garlic down into the soil with the base down and 1-2" apart.

re grown veggie scraps

I'm so excited that I was actually able to grow something--and inside nonetheless! This little experiment was so easy and it really gets me pumped for spring--I can't wait to plant more veggies and herbs like tomatoes and basil outdoors.

Isn't the planter box pretty? I really love it.

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Pennington-D%C3%A9cor-Matthews-Window-Small/dp/B00N1RZEZK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1487689447&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Pennington+24+in.+x+7+in.+Dark+Flame+Tapered+Window+Box&linkCode=ll1&tag=ctbr-robcourt27788940-20&linkId=785bbce0a34453ec91a7217e44a79fdb" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Pennington 24 in. x 7 in. Dark Flame Tapered Window Box</a>  (Amazon)
  • Glass jars  (on hand)
  • Organic Romaine lettuce  (on hand (from grocery store))

• Gladys Benitez

Kool Beans Indeed. Mine died :):(:(.... I thought roots had to grow before placing in soil. So, how long will these 3 items continue to grow and produce? Did you keep them in the same sunny spot & indoors? Thank You!!
    • Paula Jones

I tried this with celery and as long as it was in water everything was going according to plan, but once I put it in soil it has just stopped growing. I had it under a light in my kitchen, but moved it outside to a bright, but mostly shaded spot yesterday. So, we shall see what the future hold for my celery “baby”.

• Cfl12644476

I love this idea! One question...why do you use the most edible part of the scallion as the “scrap” to re-grow?
  • Cindy

Has anyone tried this with cauliflower or broccoli?

Is is the pineapple as sweet as the starter pineapple?
    How large do the pineapples grow?
    • Lyn30724289

I planted the crown with about 1" of the flesh directly in the ground.

The leaves at the base spread out to about 2 ft in diameter.

It took over a year for it to bear fruit (long term patience for me!),

and it was quite sweet, so it was worth the wait for me!

• Elise

Works with organic celery too. GMO celery looks like Frankencelery, knarly & weird looking.

• Shelli

Awesome. I want to try this for sure. Thank u for sharing. Happy Spring. Happy Gardening