Shower Curtain Valance

$65

If you've followed any of my previous posts, you may have seen where I did a mini makeover on our bathroom a few months ago. It, to me, was a pretty big change cosmetically but there was just one element of the makeover that didn't sit well with me so I finally changed it up and I'm so happy with the result! It's amazing what some shower curtains and Stitch Witchery will do to a small bathroom!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

BEFORE:
I liked our shower curtain that I purchased when we did our mini bathroom makeover but I wasn't crazy about it; once the whole look of the bathroom was completed, I felt like the bathroom was a little Asian inspired with hints of coastal living (because of the color)...almost yoga/zennish (not sure how else to explain). The rest of our house is French country/boho chic/farmstyle so I just wasn't digging the shower curtain when it was all said and done.

Get all the materials for this project:

STEP 1: Replace shower curtain
First, I took down my "old" shower curtain (it wasn't really old but you know what I mean) and replaced it with my newly purchased one.

STEP 2: Hang tension rod and measure desired length of valance
Then, I put up my tension rod above my shower curtain rod. Because I have a curved shower curtain rod, I had to make sure that the tension rod was far enough out that the shower curtain rod wouldn't be pushing my valance out once it was hanging.

Next, I measured how far down I wanted my valance to hang. I wanted the pattern on the valance to almost meet the design on my new shower curtain so I had to make my valance longer than what a traditional valance would be. It ended up being approximately 27" long.

STEP 3: Measure & cut fabric
Once I had my measurement, I laid out my valance shower curtain and folded it in half (long ways so that the two ends of the top were touching) because it was so long. Then, I measured out 28" (how long I wanted my valance to be plus 1") and made a mark.

After that, I used my fabric cutting tool to cut my valance shower curtain. Make sure to cut horizontally--your shower curtain ring holes should be at the top.

STEP 4: Create hem
Next, I took the bottom of the valance shower curtain where I had cut and folded it up 1" from the back...

...I used my iron to press down the fold all the way across the bottom of the valance.

Then, I took long strips of Stitch Witchery, placed them in the fold of the bottom of the balance and pressed them with my iron until the Stitch Witchery was fully adhered and there was a hem.

STEP 5: Hang valance
Finally, I took my set of shower curtain hooks and looped them through the holes on the top of the valance, then attached the hooks to the tension rod.

It's definitely not exactly a traditional curtain/valance but I like how this little project came out. I'm in loooooove with our new shower curtain--the pops of coral, blue and mustard yellow are totally ME and I like how the valance adds a little country flair to the whole look.

Here is a close up of the valance and shower curtain--if you look closely, you can see the line design of the valance imitates the fabric lines in the shower curtain. I didn't even notice that until everything was finished and hung--I guess it was meant to be after all..?

*Note: This project cost me roughly $55 because I only had to purchase the shower curtains, hooks and tension rod.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Balmont Collection Seafoam Damask Shower Curtain, 72" X 72"
Home Decorators Collection Spring Tension Curtain Rod in Chrome (48 in....

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

• Debra Poe

The finished look is nice but doesn’t look like the same shower curtain in before look. The design doesn’t match!!! Did you switch curtains? I like both but finished one is prettier. Good idea and job.

• Robin

Def doesn't look like before pic curtain, it is not the before one. As Lynn stated, she wrote that she bought a new one

• Celeste Berube Wyatt

The shower curtain in the link does not appear to be either curtain shown in the project. Could you post a different link?

• Sandra

I think if it was not as long and fuller, it would look even better. 😊

• Elaine Tucker

Most likely I will it was cute but I like the first shower curtain the best

• Lori Martell

you could take 28 inches from the remaining part of the valence shower curtain to make it twice as long therefore fuller. Like it a lot. I am sure if you do not sew, a friend could do some small button holes for your shower. curtain hooks.