Container Gardening With Vintage Planters on a Small Patio

Almost ten years ago we moved into small townhouse. I don’t mind the smaller house but sometimes I miss having a garage and a yard. It does force us to be more creative in how we use our space.

Recently Bikeman decided that all our plants needed to be thinned out and reorganized. So he replanted our patio garden with succulents, mums, and a few herbs. Most of them have been planted in containers we found at thrift stores and garage sales!

We had just been to an estate sale and found a stash of old coffee pots:

I love this first one. It was in pretty bad shape when we found it at a local estate sale so Bikeman filled it with succulents and hung it from our patio fence.

The bird bath is from Goodwill.  I’ve had it for years.  These plants still looked good from their spring update so he didn’t change anything here.

I think I found the old paint can below at a flea market.  I’ve had it so long I can’t remember!  

You can’t tell from this angle but the plants below are in an old sap bucket.

We bought the coffee pot below at an estate sale.

Thanks for reading! Leave a comment and let me know the strangest thing you've ever planted in!

Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

• Laura Pettit

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who used an old toilet for a planter. These trashy people left my first house I moved into a mess and since I couldn't afford to haul all of it away, I used some of it in my yard as planters. I planted moss roses in the toilet and half buried some old tires and planted beautiful yellow and lavender peace roses in the tires. Prettiest yard in the trailer court. Wish I would've taken pictures 😊
  • Annie Doherty

Deanna I will try and upload some. I also have three white Butler sinks which I have as planters, however, these need a spruce up first before posting :-)