Repurpose a Hutch & Desk Into A Potting Bench and Beverage Station

I love repurposing furniture and I also love furniture that serves double-duty! This project that I did as a birthday gift for my mother is an example of both. I repurposed my great-grandmother's hutch and my childhood desk into a piece of furniture that can start off as a potting station and then turn into a beverage station when the party gets started!
repurpose a hutch desk into a potting bench and beverage station
Both pieces of furniture had been sitting in my storage building and needed some love. I started off by giving both pieces of furniture a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White. After that, I watered down the left-over turquoise paint and gave both pieces of furniture a blue-wash. The term blue-wash was totally made up, but it’s simply brushing on the watered-down blue paint then wiping some it off with a slightly damp rag. After lightly distressing, the desk and hutch were protected with a couple of coats of exterior polyurethane. This gift will be going on my mother's covered porch so it'll need some protection from the elements.
For the beverage station, I added a wine glass rack and used jigsaw to make a hole big enough to slip a 10 quart chafing pan inside for holding ice and beverages.
Once the party is over, you can cover the chafing dish with a simple tray made from a piece of wood and a couple screen door handles. Tools and buckets can be hung from the wine glass holder with S-hooks.
Tell me in the comments other ways you could reuse this hutch and desk. I love hearing your ideas!

Tricia @ Simplicity In The South