Creating Kitchen Storage Space in a Decorative Way

$100

You see, I really only have 2 large kitchen cupboards and both are corners. So in these two cabinets had to be my dinnerware, mixing bowls, and pots/pans and frying pans. It was definitely squishy and irrititating. I decided to display my dinnerware and thus have 'functional decor'. In the hutch itself, I put my canned goods (and will add other things as I get cleaning out my pantry). This freed up space in my cabinets and my pantry. Now I can have my bowls, etc in easy reach where my dinnerware was and the pots/pans and frying pans can go in the pantry where my canned goods were. I'm rather proud of myself for coming up with this idea! LOLTo make this hutch, I used the top portion of a china cabinet.

I first removed the doors and all hardware. I then thoroughly cleaned it with a vinegar/water solution. Then, I hand sanded it. I wiped the sanding dust off with the damp cloth from the vinegar/water solution.

Following the directions that came with the product, I mixed BB Frosch chalk powder into one cup of Benjamin Moore Aura Matte paint in the Benjamin Moore color Chelsea Gray. I painted the large areas with a regular soft paint brush and used a sponge brush in the small areas. I gave it two coats, leaving 2 hours in between coats.

While the painted hutch was curing, I began working on the wood countertop. I stripped it with Citri-Strip. After cleaning off the stripper very carefully, making sure there was no trace left, I sanded. I used my rotary sander first, then my mouse sander, then sanded by hand. It sounds like a quite a process but it really was quite easy.I thought I had completely stripped the top down but when I began applying the gel stain, in became immediately obvious that I had not.  I decided to roll with it.  With gel stain, you have to wait at least 12 hours between coats and 24 hours is much better.  It took 3 coats to get it where I wanted it to be so that means it was a 3 day process! I applied the gel stain with a sponge brush fairly thickly like painting and then I used a dry brush and vigorously/gently (I know that sounds dumb but thats exactly what I did) brushed it following the grain pattern.After the third and final coat, it then had to set for 72 hours to cure before I could clear coat it.  You guessed it, I used Varathane NanoDefense Matte and used just 2 coats.

Using knotty pine to build these two shelves, I used 4 of the 1x3x4 and 2 of the 1x5x4.  Using a clean rag, I stained each individual board with one coat of Old Masters Spanish Oak gel stain then left them out to dry for a day before building the shelves.I drilled pilot holes before screwing them together using regular drywall black screws.  There was only one stud in the wall that I could screw to so I used those heavy duty plastic anchors to screw the other screws into the wall.  These two shelves cost me under $20 in boards to make.

And here is the finished product!

15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Joanne Diamond

• Diva

I love it 😍you did a gr8 job👍i have an old tv stand and want to do something with it any ideas?

• Joanne Diamond

If you do not need it for a tv or something similar in size, how about adding shelves in that space? It appears like it doesn't have a backing. I would add a sheet of headboard on the back. A paint job will also give the piece a refresh.

• Jenni

Were the cupboard doors from the hutch?. Very beautiful work. Love that it is functional too!

• Ginny

Lovely job. Can you show inside? We would like to see the total finished product?

And, are the doors from the same cabinets? Thanks

• Joanne Diamond

Yes, the doors are the original doors. I simply removed the glass inserts and replaced with thin plywood.

Someone else asked the same question earlier here and I posted an inside picture in answer to her question. If you are unable to find the picture, let me know and I'll take another.

• Beth

Those are my dishes! Lol.

• Poppy

I am so excited to see the simple shelves for displaying plates. I have been looking for an easy way to display my large ceramic platters. I am going to try this for sure. Thank you for sharing.