Coral Prints Using Unicorn SPiT

Hi everyone! I have had several requests for a tutorial on doing the coral canvas prints using the plastic from the stain press technique on a glass vase. I used a glass vase from Goodwill, Metallic Copper spray paint from Target, thin millimeter plastic from Lowes, and canvases from Walmart. So here you go. My 1st hometalk post.
First, I sprayed the vase with this Valspar Devine Color brand in Metallic Copper.
To achieve the coral colors on the final product I used Unicorn SPiT Sparkling Stains in Onry Oriole, Frinchi Fran, Lici Thunderbird, and Flaming Rosie. I also used a little bit of Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain and Glaze in Squirrel.
I cut a piece of plastic from the roll (plastic rolls can be found in the paint section of any home improvement store) and laid it flat under the vase. Then I just started randomly squirting the colors on. I use less of the Squirrel and Frinchi Fran.
Next, I wrapped the plastic around the vase and then just used my hands and fingers to smush and move the colors around. If you don't like it when you pull the plastic off, just wrap again in the plastic and move the colors around some more. I have found that if you smush the colors around too much they can get muddy, so I have learned to trust the randomness when I initially remove the plastic. You can always go back later with a section of the plastic to fill in areas that you don't like. Remember it's art, and it's okay if it's not perfect in your head.
Here comes the fun part! With the plastic laid back flat it's time to press those canvases.
I had previously pressed some colors onto these 5" x 7" canvases from another project. I thought it would be interesting to do the coral printing onto the colored backgrounds. I also remembered that I had little 2" x 2" canvases so I used those too.
Next, I just laid my canvas onto a section of the plastic, pressing and rubbing back and forth with my hand. Then I slowly lift up the canvas from one end to the other and you end up with a cool coral design. You can also repress the canvas in other areas as long as you pull up in the same direction.
Now, let's take a look at that vase. Once the SPiT is dry it can be sealed with a spray sealer. I used Cabot Semi-Gloss Spar Varnish which I found at the Habitat Store. It is sun and water resistant and worked well. Rustoleum Spray Enamel is also another good one to use. Do NOT use a water based sealant over Unicorn SPiT. Use an oil based first and then you can apply a water based if you like. Also, take note that Unicorn SPiT dries to a chalkier finish. Once you apply with an oil based sealer or epoxy the colors go back to their original brightness.
I will spray seal the canvases and then frame them. I will leave you with a picture of the first set of coral prints that I did. I discovered this technique when I thought of pressing the canvas into the leftover SPiT on the plastic. I didn't want to waste the SPiT. I was amazed at how the prints turned out and still think they're beautiful.
Please visit me on facebook and pinterest. Thank you for reading my post.

Cabot Semi-Gloss Spar Varnish

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/AngelRockStudio/

• KJ521133740

Did you need to prep the case in any way before spraying the paint onto it? Thank you.
    • Traci Heimer

Thank you for the words of encouragement Jewell! Made my morning.

• KJ521133740

i received my unicorn spit and will do a practice piece. How much / thick, did you apply to your piece?
  • Nelly Hennessy

could I use acrylic paint in bottle or in tube s for canvas? I cant find that brand at all. Could i also use the spray acrylic used for oil and acrylic paintings to get even shine and protection? Thank you

• Nelly Hennessy

Thank so much for writing. I cant wait to get all the paints, etc and get to work. This is such a great idea. Thanks to Traci and you.

• Cathy Almon

Beautiful prints
  • Kim Westwood

this is a very cool idea & I must try it. I have purchased some Unicorn Spit & loving the colours but must get some sparkle too. Thanks Traci :)