Stair Riser Planter Garden

$30.00

I've always dreamed of a super simple, easily accessible and manageable herb garden. I've tried different methods of keeping them in the past, but they always end up growing into one another, being displayed poorly, or being infested with bugs. This option is appealing, eye-catching, and extremely functional. Now, I can quickly snip, pull or pick the herb I need for my next meal, right outside my back door!

stair riser planter garden

SUPPLIES:

- Stair Risers (x2)

- 24" Plastic Planter Boxes (x3)

- 2x2 Piece of Wood

- 2 Nails

- Hammer

- Potting Soil

- Herb Garden Seeds

- Gloves (Optional, but recommended as the wood is sharp)

stair riser planter garden

Step 1) Lean your stair risers against the wall or surface they'll be used on.

stair riser planter garden

Step 2) Cut a thin piece of wood approximately 2" shorter than the length of the planter box. Place it between the two stair risers at the bottom front. No need to place one at the top of the stair risers, as the surface it is leaning on will secure it, if it's flush against the wall.

stair riser planter garden

Step 3) Hammer a nail through each stair riser into the piece of wood to attach them together.

stair riser planter garden

Step 4) Place one planter box on each step of the stair riser.

Step 5

stair riser planter garden

Step 5) Fill each planter box with potting soil.

stair riser planter garden

Step 6) If you're creating a vegetable or herb garden like I did, plant your seeds. I did three different herb options across in each planter box to allow for growth.

stair riser planter garden

Step 7) Add popsicle stick labels, so you can remember what you planted before each herb begins to grow.

stair riser planter garden

Be sure to water and ensure they receive some sunlight. Then be patient, and wait for your garden to grow!

• 24" Plastic Planter Boxes (x3)  (Home Depot)
  • 3 - Step Stair Riser (x2)  (Home Depot)
  • Gorilla Gloves  (Home Depot)

• Joanne Hoffman Keltz Simon

Are there drainage holes in the planter boxes?
    • Danielle Odin

You can use the used coffee filters and include the coffee as plants love that stuff.
  • Gina Pace

I love the look of this! But I'd want to attach the tops of the risers to the wall they are up against, or a strong wind storm could blow the whole thing over? Also, putting a couple of short pallet boards across each "step" under the planter boxes and mailing them to the risers would increase the strength of it too... But it's awesome!
    • KP Callahan

Betty, just a thought... Find old belts at a thrift store or GoodWill and belt the planters to the risers! The buckle would add a little zip to the front of the planters, and you can easily undo them if you need to clean out a box or two.

• Gladys partain

I do not know much about planting herbs. When should they be planted?
    • W C

> As a general rule, you plant herbs after you are sure no more frost. Night temps of upper 40s a good start.
      > Planter boxes should have holes for drainage. If not, drill some about 5 1/4" holes for boxes shown. > Do keep them in area that's morning sun or not too much heat, especially at the start--seeds might cook in the heat. When they sprout,let them get used to the heat before putting in permanently in risers. A removable attachment to the riser may be advisable. This will.allow you to bring them in the fall if you can get them to winter over (herbs can be hard to keep alive through the winter if they are annuals). If you've tried and no success from seed, wait for hardware store sales. Get them then, then plant in your riser garden!!