Pallet Garden

$50

Today was one of the first truly spring like days in NYC so I decided to do some planting. A pallet makes for a great huge planter for those who (like me) don't have a yard where they can do lots of planting. It is also great for those who are looking for a vertical garden. Add some landscape fabric to a pallet, pour in some dirt and get to planting! This pallet garden will spruce up any drab space!

SUPPLIES:
-Pallet
-2 Large Bags of Potting Mix
-Landscape Fabric
-Variety of Flowers / Plants
-Staple Gun & Staples

STEP 1: Flip your pallet onto one side so it lies flat with the slats that sit closer together facing up. Unroll enough landscape fabric to cover the entire side.

STEP 2: Cut the excess fabric away.

STEP 3: Staple the fabric down to the pallet working your way across each beam.

STEP 4: Continue stapling until there are staples around the entire border as well as across each beam.

STEP 5: Wrap the excess fabric around the edge and staple it in place.

STEP 6: Because the ends of a pallet are open you will need to wrap the fabric around the openings and staple it in place. I decided I wanted some flowers standing upright so I only did this to one side so that I could plant some flowers through the top opening once I stood my pallet up.

STEP 7: Turn your pallet over so the uncovered side is facing up.

STEP 8: Pour an entire bag of potting mix in between the slats of the pallet making sure it is level throughout.

STEP 9: Now it's time to start planting. Make little ditches for each plant and set them within the ditch and scoop dirt in to cover the roots.

STEP 10: Once you have planted all your flowers fill in any empty spaces around the roots with more dirt packing them into place.

STEP 11: Now reposition your planter so it rest vertically (if you so choose)

Look at all those beauties! I wish there were more perennial flowers so I could enjoy watching them re-bloom each year, but for now I will certainly take them in on the daily!

Be sure to water the plants immediately so as to help pack in the dirt.

This thing has given this wall so much life!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Pai26693064

When you stand it up, what prevents the potting soil from all falling down to the bottom level? It seems like it would just all go to the bottom .

• B'Ann DeLaurier

How does the soil stay in place when a pallet is in vertical position?

I can see that the root mass could hold when plants mature. But, what about a newly planted pallet?

• Stephanie Feller

When you stand it on end doesn't all of the soil fall to the bottom?

• Kendall K.
      2 minutes ago

Because she stapled along each beam it creates pockets for the soil