A Little Bit of Shiplap

$45.00

We have all learned what shiplap is since Fixer Upper, and no farmhouse style home is complete with out some shiplap somewhere, is it? I didn't want to add a whole wall to my house, so I decided to look toward home accessories and see if I could get the same look!
I b ought a box of paint stir sticks off of Amazon and cut the ends off that had the indentations on them. I laid them all out on a piece of cardboard and went to work spray painting them white.
I have plans to cover a wooden wastepaper container I have, but my first project was this wooden box I made to hold a plastic window box or planter. I will be using this for a couple of different thing that you will see!
I painted the box black and began spacing out my paint sticks. I cut some into different sizes so the look would be random on my box. To get that farmhouse look I wanted a random look.
I began gluing down the paint sticks with gorilla glue.
To get that shiplap look I wanted to space the boards, so I used a dime to space them. Unfortunately I soon learned that the paint sticks were not exactly uniform, and I began just eyeballing the spacing.
I would glue one row and let them set up for about 15 minutes before adding the next row so they would not slide around too much.
My box is coming together, without all of the sticks yet glued down.
Here is one end of my box on my table.
This is really giving me the farmhouse look I was going for.
I set a plastic window box or planter down inside my box, filled it with ice and used it to ice down wine and champagne for a party! This would be perfect for summertime get-togethers and could easily be used outside to ice down beer, wine or soft drinks.
I was really looking for a decorative container for a centerpiece on my farmhouse table and this worked perfect with the planter being waterproof inside my box!
Get some paint sticks and find something to "shiplap" in your house! My project took me about 5 hours from beginning to end, but that included making the box and the time for the glue to dry between lines of my paint sticks. I had the wood for my box on hand, but the rest of the items including a heavy duty planter box cost me $45.00!

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Perfectly Round Tables
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Chloe Crabtree

• Maude  LaFountain
    Maude LaFountain

I love it and the hanging light fixture is just so awesome ....did you make it or buy it ?

• Heje
    Heje

Clever you! Have you thought about aging your box with sanding or using a bit of dark paint? or is it one of those it will age with time?

• Robin
    Robin

Beautiful! I too love shiplap but don’t want to do a wall or room full of it. This is a great idea to get the same feeling. Love it!

BTW - the flower arrangement is stunning, did you do that or did the flowers come pre-arranged?

• Lauren.
    Lauren.

Chloe Crabtree of celebrate and decorate, very nice tutorial. I loved the look of the floral table topper- very classic elegance in a country way. As a cooler would be great at spring/summer cook outs. Don't forget Easter with grasses and colored eggs and chicks/rabbits. Possibilities endless. And I also love your chandelier. It's perfect for Florida farmhouse living.

• C Crow
    C Crow

Clever and so versatile! Love it! Thank you