Kelleysdiy
Kelleysdiy
  • Palm Springs, CA

Mailbox Makeover

My Mailbox was in need of a makeover….really bad. I stripped off the numbers and sanded it down smooth.
mailbox makeover
I started by painting the front and the back of the box in Rustoleum Metallic Gold Spray paint. I decided to mod podged the inside of the box with some pretty coordinating paper. ( My mailwomen is so sweet, and I thought it would make her smile every time she opened my box) I first applied mod podge to the inside of the box. I used the outdoor mod podge.  I then applied 2 coats over it.
mailbox makeover
mailbox makeover
When it was dry, I sprayed it with the Rustoleum Ultra Clear Sealer.
mailbox makeover
I then attached new letters to the box. I used Gorilla Clear Glue for outdoors. I then sprayed the whole thing in the Rustoleum Copper Metallic Spray Paint.
mailbox makeover
I just love this copper color! I then painted under the numbers black. I painted the front and back of the mailbox in a Metallic Gold.
mailbox makeover
I cut a sponge to the size of a faux brick! I then sponged painted faux bricks over it. I
mailbox makeover
I added some flowers to the sides for for flower power!I used Kilz Klear over the entire box to seal and protect it from the elements.
mailbox makeover
mailbox makeover
It took approx 2 hours, not including drying time to do. Approx $30 for the paint and sealer.

• Rustoleum Gold and Copper Metallic Spray Paint/ and Sealer  (home improvement store)
  • Mod podge  (walmart)
  • Scrapbook paper  (on hand)
Kelleysdiy

• Lesley Lloyd-Owen

Love love this! Did you paint the numbers black initially and then copper and wipe it off? They look to be black with some copper on them. And, it looks like you sponged the flowers. I so want to do this but am not so crafty. Thank you for any advice 😊 lesley

• Kelleysdiy

Thank you so much Lesley! The numbers were black originally. I sprayed some of the copper spray onto a sponge, dabbed it onto a paper plate, then applied. The flowers were done in in blue and green acrylic paints. I poured some on a paper plate, dipped a piece of sponge (clean sponge, cut in quarters) to make the flowers.

You can practice the flowers and sponge painting on anything first till you get the knack of it. Sponge painting is fun. Practice a couple of times on paper, you will delight yourself!! Thank you and let me know how it goes!

• Louise

Thanks for such a great idea. I was getting ready to spray paint my mailbox the same old black.
    • Kelleysdiy

Oh No!!! There are soooooo many beautiful colors of spray paints out there. Be sure to spray with a Stop Rust Product first. Rustoleum makes one. Then paint any way you want honey....the skies the limit!!!

• Gro28562451

yikes