Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Updating a Dresser.

This poor beauty was in a dark smelly room when found. I quickly decided how to update the look...during the painting process, my husband asked if I might want to decoupage some material on the sides. Brilliant suggestion! Check out the gorgeous end result!
updating a dresser
Discovered this beauty for sale on facebook, drove over to another town to pick it up. Closed up in a dark room with some other furniture.
updating a dresser
At first I though we would have to paint the whole piece, but some patience and a lot of sanding can reveal the natural beauty.
updating a dresser
The top wasn't looking very promising in the light of day, but I wasn't afraid to put in some effort to see what would happen.
updating a dresser
After some sanding...I had hubby do a little patching on the top for me (he's handy to have around).
updating a dresser
After I stained the top with some ebony stain, I started painting the base. Excuse the dogs, but they were a little upset that I stained inside the house (never a good idea folks) so I opened up the windows for all of us.
updating a dresser
Hubby thought decoupage might be something fun for me to try out. I had a piece of this material left from a previous project and it just spoke to me. So, after some measuring and cutting...I decided to add a little trim to just give the fabric a more finished look on each side.
updating a dresser
First time around...one side had some bleeding from original cherry finish...sadly, had to pull it all off, and do it again. Note: if I would have sealed paint BEFORE decoupaging this would have been avoided. Lesson learned!
updating a dresser
Applied poly to top and drawers (which we stained to match top). Sealed base with a nice matte sealant...of course you know I always forget to document something and this time is no different. Forgot to snap pictures when I repainted the hardware. Oops! But this is the final product. How beautiful!
updating a dresser
Before and after...
Just another rescued piece.

• Ebony stain  (The Home Depot)
  • Poly  (The Home Depot)
  • Material  (WalMart)