Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

Lamp Base Turned Birdbath!

$25.00

I had an old plastic resin Birdbath that I was tired of painting year after year and wanted something different. I seen an old lamp base one day when I was out browsing the thrift stores and instantly I knew what I was going to use it for, and the rest as they say is history!
lamp base turned birdbath
First thing I did was gather my supplies. Which in this case was the lamp base, spray paint and a metal container. A stainless steel bowl can be used or any plastic container. It depends on the look you are going for.

Next I spray painted the lamp base using Trembled Hammered sliver. Sorry there is no picture. Next I took my container and turned it upside down and drilled a hole in the middle.
lamp base turned birdbath
Next I attached it to the lamp base.
lamp base turned birdbath
Next I used cork ribbon and glued it around the container.
lamp base turned birdbath
Here it is attached.
lamp base turned birdbath
Next I wanted to add something where the light bulb would normally go so I found this cute owl at my Dollar Store, along with some greenery I plan to use.
lamp base turned birdbath
I attached the owl with wire as it had holes in the side, and used some hot glue to secure it more.
lamp base turned birdbath
Next I took my greenery and wrapped it around the lamp base, securing it in places with wire and added a little branch to make it look like the owl was sitting on it.
lamp base turned birdbath
Here it is completed. I love how it turned out. Now only if my flowers would grow....

• Lamp base  (Thrift store)
  • Metal container  (Home Sense)
  • Trembled Hammered sliver spray paint

• Stephanie Harden

How did you attach it to lamp so it doesn't tilt with water in it
    • Kathy Lacy

I was wondering how you kept the tray from tilting as well. I think if I were making this adorable bird bath I would place a block of wood under the metal tray as a base to stableize the tray. Then attach the tray. Then water proof the area where the screw goes. I was thinking I would also add a solar power light in the bulb socket. I would also like to add flowers around the lamps harp. This way it pretty day and night. Just my personal spin on the concept.

• Cheryl

How do you keep the water from draining since you drill a hole
    • Melanie

I used a washer and the top from the lamp shade that would screw on to secure the shade.
  • Yes I was wondering to how does it hold water without tilting from side to side since the top of the base is really thin?

• Melanie

There is a washer on the bottom of the base, then the base then the knob that tightens on top of it. I have had no problem with it tipping.