Lamp Base Turned Birdbath!

$25.00

I had an old plastic resin birdbath that I was tired of painting year after year and wanted something different. I had seen an old lamp base one day when I was out browsing the thrift stores and instantly knew what I was going to use it for, and the rest, as they say, is history!

Supplies

Gather Your Supplies

• Lamp base
  • Spray paint
  • Metal container (A stainless steel bowl can be used or any plastic container. It depends on the look you are going for.)

Paint Lamp Base and Drill Holes in the Container

Drill Holes

First I spray painted the lamp base using Trembled Hammered sliver. Sorry there is no picture. Next I took my container and turned it upside down and drilled a hole in the middle.

Attach Lamp Base to the Container

Attach Lamp Base to the Container

Then I attached it to the lamp base.

Glue Ribbon onto the Container

Next I used cork ribbon and glued it around the container.

Cork Ribbon

Add Decor

Add Decor

Next I wanted to add something where the light bulb would normally go so I found this cute owl at my Dollar Store, along with some greenery I plan to use.

DIY Lamp Birdbath

I attached the owl with wire as it had holes in the side, and used some hot glue to secure it more.

DIY Birdbath

Next I took my greenery and wrapped it around the lamp base, securing it in places with wire and added a little branch to make it look like the owl was sitting on it.

Here it is completed. I love how it turned out. Now only if my flowers would grow....

• Lamp base  (Thrift store)
  • Metal container  (Home Sense)
  • Trembled Hammered sliver spray paint

• Stephanie Harden

How did you attach it to lamp so it doesn't tilt with water in it
    • Kathy Lacy

I was wondering how you kept the tray from tilting as well. I think if I were making this adorable bird bath I would place a block of wood under the metal tray as a base to stableize the tray. Then attach the tray. Then water proof the area where the screw goes. I was thinking I would also add a solar power light in the bulb socket. I would also like to add flowers around the lamps harp. This way it pretty day and night. Just my personal spin on the concept.

• Cheryl

How do you keep the water from draining since you drill a hole
    • Melanie

I used a washer and the top from the lamp shade that would screw on to secure the shade.
  • Little Homestead In Boise

Yes I was wondering to how does it hold water without tilting from side to side since the top of the base is really thin?

• Melanie

There is a washer on the bottom of the base, then the base then the knob that tightens on top of it. I have had no problem with it tipping.