Tell Bugs To Bug Off: Natural Remedies To Repel Bugs

With warm weather, we again must fight bugs in the yard and home. Here in Florida it’s almost a year round battle. If you’re like me, the last thing you want to do is spray your home or your family with horrible chemicals. First eliminate any standing water in the yard. For those of you interested in more natural remedies, certain essential oils repel a variety of bugs. Essential oils can be bought online at many sites including Amazon. You can find them in many stores in your neighborhood - including Walmart. Be sure to buy certified real essential oil and not a cheap substitute for good results.
Cedarwood Himalayan   Cedarwood oil has been in use as a mosquito repellent for a long time.
Cinnamon Leaf Oil
Citronella Oil
Geranium Bourbon can be used to repel ticks
Lemon eucalyptus oil is used for preventing mosquito and deer tick bites
Lavender can be used to repel many problem insects — such as mosquitoes, fleas and moths
Lemongrass repels bugs like mosquitoes and ants
Neem Carrier Oil
Pennyroyal
Peppermint Oil repels many kinds of insects
Tea tree oil can prevent and treat bug bites    
Tea tree oil (lemon)  is a special variety of Tea Tree oil

Placing essential oils like lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, or citronella helps to keep flying insects away.
Add essential oil of lavender to your water when mopping or wiping counters
Add lavender, peppermint and/or basil on tables at cookouts to help keep bugs away.
Peppermint or lavender Oil On A Cotton Ball To Keep Out Ants - place balls at points of entry to your home. I put one in the outlet hole where ants wanted to enter my kitchen. No more ants.
Plant herbs around the garden and have potted ones next to door to help deter bugs.
Peppermint or lavender Oil On A Cotton Ball To Keep Out Ants - place balls at points of entry to your home.
Make your own insect repellent using essential oils.
  • 10 drops Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
  • 20 drops Cedar wood Himalayan Oil
  • 10 drops Tea Tree Oil
  • 10 drops Peppermint Oil
3 oz. Jojoba Golden Carrier Oil

Combine oils together in a glass spritzer bottle.
Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye area, cuts and wounds.  Keep out of reach of children.  Test on a small area of skin for sensitivities.
I've had so many questions about fleas and I just read this post on Eco Snippets
DIY Flea Powder.

See http://www.ecosnippets.com/livestock-animals/natural-flea-powder-for-your-pets/

Also Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer has great article on cats and dogs
http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2013/05/diy-natural-herbal-homeopathic-flea_18.html

Don't forget to talk to your vet about these products. Don't use human products on your pets.

Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Carol Murphy

• Annalien Pretorius

Is there something to help with Cockroaches? I used to think you only find them in a dirty house but now I have them no matter how clean my house is.

• PamPam

Where in the store (Walmart or Home Depot) do I find the boric acid?

• Pam

Any remedies for green headed flies? They bite and suck your blood. Nothing seems to stop them!

• Belisimofire

It omes with Spray bottle with nozzel that hooks up to your hose & at first you have it set on mix so water & Cedar mix then you turn nozzel to spray & just continue to spray the yard just like your watering you will smell the Cedar right away & you will see the small like mite bugs just drop dead on lawn immediately I do this once a month or as I feel needed but in the past 5 years my dogs have never had another epileptic seizure from the crap the Vet sells & I bath them myself & not a flea ever so it works well. What Cedar does is for small pests paralyze & stop there breathing & kills from inside out but will not hurt your humming birds or Butterflies which I have alot of. I hope this helps the only thing I still can't kill these flys because my neighbor has Chickens??? Anybody help me there with natural remedy?

• Belisimofire

Cedar oil I get it on Amazon it's good for your Pets & people make sure you get the right one but I am in Northern California & my small Pomeranian can't do any flea meds it's poison & gives him & my otger dog epilepsy so I can spray thus on my hands rub on my skin & on my Pets & No mosquito or fleas also I spray my lawn & it kills small little bugs I have used it for years.

• Brenda

Can oil kill begbugs