How a Girl Built Her Closet

43K Views
Today I'm sharing how I totally rebuilt the interior of my closet to maximize storage, without breaking the bank!
  • how a girl built her closet, bedroom ideas, closet, diy, how to, shelving ideas
The first step was to gut my existing closet and draw up a plan. I used graph paper and measured every square inch. I made it to scale by using one block for each foot. Then I drew up my plan.
I started on the back wall with the shoe shelving. From the outside, I used a nail gun to attach the shelves.
Then I moved to the left side...The starting point for this side was hanging the shelf support along the back, attaching it directly to the studs
I continued with the side pieces. I carried the side support pieces all the way to the shoe shelves so that I could screw it directly into the studs also. Then I added the shelf and hanging bar.
The basket shelves were next. You can see how they were built in the photo, with the left side supported by small shelf supports and the right side attached to a divider piece with a nail gun, from the outside.
The baskets hold all my undergarments, so I can get dressed completely right from my closet! So convenient since it's attached to the master bathroom.
I added shelving support and a hanging bar just as I did for the area below it.
The right side was started the same way, with the shelving support for the lower shelf. Then the middle shelf was added and so on.
This is not a huge closet, but a little planning goes a long way to make the most of this space! You'll find more details at the link below!

Suggested materials for this project:

Confessions of a Serial DIYer