Maegan
Maegan
  • Little Rock, AR

DIY Container Garden

$25

A backyard can be a beautiful place, unfortunately, mine has not been. It's been a sort of a jungle with a lot of baby trees from fallen acorns, weeds, and overgrown monkey grass. After working to clear it out, I knew what I wanted to do next was start a container garden!
diy container garden
Here's the before jungle.
diy container garden
Now here's the same spot just cleared out. The only thing we kept were the random rocks, most of the monkey grass and an azalea bush. It looks much cleaner, but I wasn't done!
diy container garden
A friend of mine who owns cows had some extra buckets that he didn't need anymore. Have you seen the price of container buckets at different stores? VERY expensive for what it is! So, I happily took his buckets and drilled holes in the bottom of each one for drainage.
diy container garden
I cleaned the dirt off each bucket and removed any stickers or lettering.
diy container garden
Then, with gold spray paint that I had on hand, I start to spray each bucket. Because it was so warm outside, the paint dried in no time so I was able to fix any lines or spots that I might have missed.
diy container garden
Meanwhile, why the buckets were drying, I laid out mulch in the area I wanted to clean up, and moved the rocks that were laying in the middle of the garden bed and made an outline of my new container garden.

Lastly, I added soil and a tomato plant to each bucket. I even found a rock in the mix that looked like the start of Arkansas so I spray painted it too!

Here's a before and after of what a little mulch, spray paint and free buckets can do to transform any garden space!
diy container garden
I added soil and a tomato plant to each bucket.
diy container garden
I arranged all of the buckets so that they would get plenty of sunlight!
I even found a rock in the mix that looked like the start of Arkansas so I spray painted it too!

diy container garden

• Buckets  (Free from any dairy farmer)
  • Gold Spray Paint
  • Soil and compost  (Home Depot)
Maegan

3 questions on this project
  • Darlene Henderson
    Jun 12, 2017

Sid you skim off grass before the mulch? Im doin same thing but didnt know

• Kathy Bennett
      May 20, 2018

I have been reading lately that cardboard works better than landscape fabric. Don't think you have to clean out grass and weeds. Cover cardboard with mulch.

• Ela466197
    Jun 07, 2017

I have tried container pots for tomato plants to no avail. They grew tall, did not produce. What's the secret?

• We live in our RV, spending summers in MN, and winters in south Texas. We're able to grow tomatoes all year round, in buckets. The secret is to use good potting soil, mixed with compost, and good drainage on the bottom of the buckets, using rocks, and several holes in the bottom of the bucket. And I use organic fish emulsion fertilizer, once a week.

• Jewell Martin
    May 22, 2017

@Maegan I think you have done a fine job of making a garden out of an unruly lawn. From what I see, when you are ready to expand, you have the space for it. Do you have plans for the next step? Have you had to revise your plan yet? Best wishes 😇

• Bab24887393
    Jun 08, 2017

They grow really well in pots and come back every year. They will need to be divided after a couple years.

• Linda Sikut
    Jun 14, 2017

I agree, I put some hostas in pots to green up some areas. I have a bench that my son & wife gave us that has room for a plant at each end. If I used the whole thing and filled it with dirt, I would be so heavy that I wouldn't be able to move it, so I got some large plastic pots that weren't quite big enough to go to the bottom and put them in. The shape of the area holds them near the top. I put hostas in those pots and put the bench near the garden.