DIY Container Garden

205K Views
A backyard can be a beautiful place, unfortunately, mine has not been. It's been a sort of a jungle with a lot of baby trees from fallen acorns, weeds, and overgrown monkey grass. After working to clear it out, I knew what I wanted to do next was start a container garden!
Time: 2 HoursCost: $25Difficulty: Easy
  • diy container garden
Here's the before jungle.
  • diy container garden
Now here's the same spot just cleared out. The only thing we kept were the random rocks, most of the monkey grass and an azalea bush. It looks much cleaner, but I wasn't done!
  • diy container garden
A friend of mine who owns cows had some extra buckets that he didn't need anymore. Have you seen the price of container buckets at different stores? VERY expensive for what it is! So, I happily took his buckets and drilled holes in the bottom of each one for drainage.
  • diy container garden
I cleaned the dirt off each bucket and removed any stickers or lettering.
  • diy container garden
Then, with gold spray paint that I had on hand, I start to spray each bucket. Because it was so warm outside, the paint dried in no time so I was able to fix any lines or spots that I might have missed.
  • diy container garden
Meanwhile, why the buckets were drying, I laid out mulch in the area I wanted to clean up, and moved the rocks that were laying in the middle of the garden bed and made an outline of my new container garden.

Lastly, I added soil and a tomato plant to each bucket. I even found a rock in the mix that looked like the start of Arkansas so I spray painted it too!

Here's a before and after of what a little mulch, spray paint and free buckets can do to transform any garden space!
  • diy container garden
I added soil and a tomato plant to each bucket.
  • diy container garden
I arranged all of the buckets so that they would get plenty of sunlight!
I even found a rock in the mix that looked like the start of Arkansas so I spray painted it too!

• diy container garden

Suggested materials for this project:

• Buckets  (Free from any dairy farmer)
  • Gold Spray Paint
  • Soil and compost  (Home Depot)
Maegan

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

• Jessie
    Jessie

Good job, it looks wonderful !

• Eroque022810
      Eroque022810

It came out very nice. I really love your pathway to the upper level. I would love to get up there and continue garden floral
      L that is and it's such a large looking area a sitting area would be so cool. Oh you made me laugh because I would love to pay for buckets as opposed to the free rocks on your property. Stones are very expensive. Enjoy and now that you started I hope you keep going in the years to come.