Plaid Anything Up With Paint!

$39

Raise your hand if you're mad for plaid...

I've been a plaid lover all my life. Being a farmer's daughter growing up, my love for plaid derived from my Dad (now gone) always wearing a plaid shirt!

So when the idea came up to enjoy the cozy farmhouse look of plaid on more than the odd shirt... well, an easy fix was in order!

So I got to work... and created a stencil that makes it now effortless to get this look on anything that accepts paint!

These mix and match designs took me monthS (plural) to create. And I'm so happy to report, they work so well, you can now create the look in minutes!

Here's the easy fix...

Disclosure: The plaid effects are from my own line of stencils that are for sale through the Materials Used segment below.

plaid anything up with paint
Who doesn't love a toolbox? This red one was cool as is, but I had a much bigger dream for it...
plaid anything up with paint
First the base got cleaned up with a fresh coat of red paint...
plaid anything up with paint
Then the Buffalo Check stencil was laid on top, with the black stencilled on top of that next.

That. Is. It!
plaid anything up with paint
The plaid painted in black only is absolutely dreamy on wood-toned surfaces too!
plaid anything up with paint
You are next, my pretty... this beat up old metal table received a fresh coat of white, then the fun part began.
plaid anything up with paint
Buffalo Check was stenciled on, starting in the middle, then working out against all four edges.

It's easy to extend a pattern. Overlap the edges of the stencil against the painted pattern to keep going.

Stencil Tip: To achieve super crisp lines, ensure your paint loaded brush is quite dry to the touch.
plaid anything up with paint
I mean... right?!
plaid anything up with paint
Next, this little stool got hit with Plaid Shirt.

The stool was first coated out in white, then the thin lines were stenciled, following with the thicker ones.

Tip: There are 4 square registration marks on both stencils so they are super easy to align with each other. Full details on how to achieve this look is at the blog post link below.
plaid anything up with paint
I may need a plaid intervention at this point...
plaid anything up with paint
While full out patterns are fun, but how about just a sliver of one to create a table runner effect?
plaid anything up with paint
First the tray was sanded to the original finish, then the stenciling began.
plaid anything up with paint
The Fringe stencil was added along the edge of Buffalo Check by layering over the squares, to create a cool fringe effect!

Now that's easy care fabric...
plaid anything up with paint
So, the best part of all?

Both Buffalo Check and Plaid Shirt stencils mix and match so they can be layered on top of one another to create a whole bunch of other additional plaid effects. This red stool is a great example! Don't the little white checks totally pop?

Just imagine all these ideas on your own projects and colours... what would you plaid up?

Gosh, I think my Dad would be so proud... :)

Click blog link below to view these tutorials in full!

• Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils  (https://www.funkyjunksoldsignstencils.com/)
  • Fusion Mineral Paint  (http://fusionmineralpaint.com/where-to-buy/)

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Bobbi Convery

These are fabulous!

• Linda J. Caristo

Love this...love the buffalo check...it is classic. I actually had red and black gift wrap for all my Christmas gifts. looks great under the tree. I love stencils.. most people think that stencils are just ducks and or bunnies. I love old tavern stencils, they add so much just one stencil on a door or under a picture adds so much interest.Love what you did. L.Caristo