Plaid Anything Up With Paint!

$39

Raise your hand if you're mad for plaid...

I've been a plaid lover all my life. Being a farmer's daughter growing up, my love for plaid derived from my Dad (now gone) always wearing a plaid shirt!

So when the idea came up to enjoy the cozy farmhouse look of plaid on more than the odd shirt... well, an easy fix was in order!

So I got to work... and created a stencil that makes it now effortless to get this look on anything that accepts paint!

These mix and match designs took me monthS (plural) to create. And I'm so happy to report, they work so well, you can now create the look in minutes!

Here's the easy fix...

Disclosure: The plaid effects are from my own line of stencils that are for sale through the Materials Used segment below.

Who doesn't love a toolbox? This red one was cool as is, but I had a much bigger dream for it...
First the base got cleaned up with a fresh coat of red paint...
Then the Buffalo Check stencil was laid on top, with the black stencilled on top of that next.

That. Is. It!
The plaid painted in black only is absolutely dreamy on wood-toned surfaces too!
You are next, my pretty... this beat up old metal table received a fresh coat of white, then the fun part began.
Buffalo Check was stenciled on, starting in the middle, then working out against all four edges.

It's easy to extend a pattern. Overlap the edges of the stencil against the painted pattern to keep going.

Stencil Tip: To achieve super crisp lines, ensure your paint loaded brush is quite dry to the touch.
I mean... right?!
Next, this little stool got hit with Plaid Shirt.

The stool was first coated out in white, then the thin lines were stenciled, following with the thicker ones.

Tip: There are 4 square registration marks on both stencils so they are super easy to align with each other. Full details on how to achieve this look is at the blog post link below.
I may need a plaid intervention at this point...
While full out patterns are fun, but how about just a sliver of one to create a table runner effect?
First the tray was sanded to the original finish, then the stenciling began.
The Fringe stencil was added along the edge of Buffalo Check by layering over the squares, to create a cool fringe effect!

Now that's easy care fabric...
So, the best part of all?

Both Buffalo Check and Plaid Shirt stencils mix and match so they can be layered on top of one another to create a whole bunch of other additional plaid effects. This red stool is a great example! Don't the little white checks totally pop?

Just imagine all these ideas on your own projects and colours... what would you plaid up?

Gosh, I think my Dad would be so proud... :)

Click blog link below to view these tutorials in full!

• Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils  (https://www.funkyjunksoldsignstencils.com/)
  • Fusion Mineral Paint  (http://fusionmineralpaint.com/where-to-buy/)
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna