Easiest Way to Clean a Microwave!

$.10

I decided to try the “No Effort Microwave Cleaner” that you can see on Pinterest literally everywhere. It worked great but I would add some serious warnings (so be sure to read all the details) on using this steaming vinegar and lemon method.
My microwave had totally been neglected.... sorry for the grossness!

Here's what you'll need:
  • Microwavable Dish
  • Water
  • White Distilled Vinegar
  • Lemon Juice (or half a lemon)
  • Sponge or white bartender rag
  • Pot Holder

Into the mug, I measured half a cup of water, half a cup of vinegar, and a couple tablespoons of lemon juice.  For the record, I just eye balled it.  Seriously, it’s the ratio more than the actual measurements that counts.
Then I put the mug in the microwave, set the time for five minutes and pushed “Start”.
After five minutes, USE A HOT PAD and reach in to retrieve the mug. 

Keep the hot liquid, but put it off to the side.

Pull out the glass rotator dish, and the ring thingy with wheels on it. 

Grab your bartender rag and start wiping, starting at the top so you don't have to re-do any of the bottom section later.

As you can see, stuff wiped off pretty easy.  

BUT, here is my second warning:  The microwave is going to be full of fumes.  Like, you might pass out they are so bad.  Just take a breather every minute or so and you’ll be fine.
There was a spot at the front of the microwave that was a bit stubborn.  I dipped the rag in the hot water/vinegar/lemon juice mix and mildly scrubbed the spot away.

Then I continued to use the hot mix on the outside of the microwave too.  It cut through the grease on the buttons and made the stainless steel sparkle.
Scrub the plate with some soap and water at your sink, reassemble it all, and it's done!

If you love cleaning tips and easy to follow cleaning tutorials like this, then you'll love my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean!

• Vinegar
  • Lemon juice
  • Microwaveable Dish

Katelyn Fagan

• Mamacie

I have done this WITHOUT using any heat that might cause damage or fumes. In fact you can simply set a cup of ammonia in the microwave overnight and wipe it sparkling clean overnight. Why is the heating necessary with your formula given its potential negatives?
    • Jewellmartin

I think the author's ebook is named Speed Clean the Deep Clean, so her focus would be on fast and effective methods. My husband won't let me have ammonia in the house and barely tolerates vinegar. But when he has a sore throat on the morning he is about to preach, he gargles with vinegar and salt. You do what you believe in. Best wishes 😇

• Car11835626

I only use a small dish of boiling water too. I just want to know WHY they spent $10.00 for vinegar, lemon juice and a cloth ? And where ? I don't want to shop there.
  • Helly Hardt

Where can I buy the grout marker ?
    thank you

• Tina

I use a cup of water to 1/2 cup lemon juice. Microwave for 3 minutes and then let set for about another 3 minutes. Then just wipe everything out. No vinegar or ammonia stench, just lemony fresh and sparkling clean! Then I pour the water/juice mixture down my garbage disposal. Double duty.
  • Juanita

This would be better for me as I have Asthma and I can’t take all those fumes. Thank you for this method