Easy & Amazing DIY Modern Plant Wall

$400

So what do you do when your budget is limited, your backyard is small and boring, and you long for that cool “Dwell” high end vibe? You do this. Best. Project. Ever. This DIY modern plant wall just may be our proudest DIY moment yet! And it was easy. Be sure to click through for the entire tutorial at the end!
easy amazing diy modern plant wall
So lets start out with what we used to make this plant wall happen…
Supplies
  • 1×4 hemlock lumber (We used hemlock because we loved the modern feel, but you could use cedar or another wood for your area)
  • 4 X 5/4 cedar (For upright posts) (you could use 2×4’s) (There has been some confusion about this measurement... It it 4 inch wide, 5/4 (1 1/4 Inch) deep lumber.)
  • Black drywall screws (The folks at Home Depot recommended some coated ones they say won’t rust!)
  • Landscape construction adhesive (We used Liquid Nails heavy duty)
  • Ikea storage containers (from kitchen storage), different sizes – Smallest ones are called “SUNNERSTA” and are only .79! Medium and large size are a mystery as to the name, but there is a photo of the label below with the number so you can find it. They ranged from 4-7 bucks, and all of these containers had built in “hooks” for hanging on a kitchen bar system. There are likely a range of these kinds of containers that would work.
  • “Plasti Dip” rubberized spray paint from dipyourcar.com believe it or not!
  • Wood penetrating oil and stain (We used PPG Timeless in Cedar, make sure you use one for exterior use!)
  • Power saw
  • Drill
  • Sander
  • Clamps
  • Sawhorses
Paint brushes for stain
easy amazing diy modern plant wall
One of the first things we discovered is that some wood takes stain well, and some doesn’t. Our test piece came out blotchy and uneven, so we went out searching for a solution. We got advice on wood conditioners, denatured alcohol, and other such solutions that seemed way more complicated than we wanted to deal with. Then we had someone explain that when some wood is cut, it creates a “burn” of sorts, creating a barrier to the stain. And all we had to do was sand. All? We had 44 pieces for our fence! So we bought a Ryobi palm sander, some hook and loop sanding paper (which is way cool compared to the old style, BTW) and got to sanding. Lucky, for us, a light go over on all sides did the trick!
easy amazing diy modern plant wall
Now we were ready to secure our upright 5/4×4 posts to the block wall. We generously applied Liquid Nails to the back of the post board, then set into place and clamped tightly. Use a level to make sure they are straight.
easy amazing diy modern plant wall
Ok, so after letting the posts cure for a couple of days, we got back to it. We started installing the boards 1 inch apart using a spacer we made from scrap.
easy amazing diy modern plant wall
Hope you love this project as much as we do! The cost for this project could vary widely, based on your lumber and supply selections. Cedar would cost less than the hemlock we used. Do your homework! Make sure you head over to The Garden Glove to see the entire tutorial with more detail and tips!

Cherry Lumber 1"x4" 2 pack (1"x4"x24"),...
Kathy Woodard @ TBD•TGG•DYSS

• Yvette

Where is the photo of Ikea container label you mentioned?

• Yvette

This is a winner for my nightmare wall in the tropics after Hurricane Maria. How many wood is needed to cover this area: 13’ x 5’ leaving 1” between each wood?

The only size I was able to find was treated wood 1”x6”x16’ so based on this how many wood would I need?

Than you for sharing you brilliant piece of art.

• Dwa664985

5' = 60" (so if 1"x6"x16') you'd need 10 boards

You will also need the support boards to glue or bolt to the wall.

• Go2gym

I absolutely love this modern fence look. We are moving to a house with an ugly metal fence around the entire backyard and it doesn’t give us enough privacy between neighbors. Would this project work on a metal fence somehow? I’m

not handy at all but hopefully can do something similar.

Thank you!

• Go2gym

Thank you so much for answering my questions. It’s a project I feel more confident taking on now. The pictures of your decorated fence look amazing. Thanks for sharing. 😀

• Anna Ibarra

Wow! This is a huge traNsformation and such a clean look. I love it and I’m a fan of cinderblock. I’m thinking of doing this to my unfriendly fence on one side, however, I would want to do it to the rest of the fence areas around my yard.

• Kyra Dunia de Castillo

translate please