I Painted and Stenciled My Ceramic Tile!

$70

Yes, I painted my ceramic tile floor and I am so in love with it, I can't stand it.

A couple weeks ago, I posted my reveal of my 1990's bathroom and I promised a follow up with how to stencil that almond ceramic tile floor. Here is my bathroom reveal in case you missed it: http://www.hometalk.com/29927365/completed-my-1990-s-bathroom-reveal

When I told my darling hubster some of my ideas of what I wanted to do with this baby, he was like, "Whaaaatttt????"

Again, he was up at the cottage for the majority of this makeover. No meals to cook for this girl, yup, see ya buddy....don't let the door hit you on the way out ...

This is what the bathroom floor tile looked like in February.

A big thank you to fellow Hometalker, Stacy Davis, who gave me this great idea because she had seen how a gal had painted her tile floor: http://remingtonavenue.com/2015/08/the-girl-who-painted-her-tile.html

I couldn't resist the challenge and I LOVE stencils, so what the heck, after a little research, I jumped in.

It is truly amazing what paint can do for a home. You guys, this is such an easy makeover and the impact is crazy awesome!

Before you start painting...CLEAN! You want to clean the floor really good. I used TSP on my floor.

Once it is dry, sand the floor. You don't have to get too crazy, you just want to rough it up so the primer will grab it. After sanding vacuum and wipe up all the dust really good. You don't want anything on this floor before you start.

Looking better already with Primer and Paint!

These are the supplies that I used.

I used the Oil Based Kilz for this project. Prime the floor first, followed with the Behr Concrete and Garage Floor paint.

Leave the floor dry over night. I don't care if it is dry to the touch, I think you need to leave it sit and cure for the night.

This is the chalk paint that I used. DecoArt from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

The Stencil that I bought was from, "Cutting Edge Stencils": http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/jewel-tile-stencil-cement-tiles-stencils.html

I paid $12.95 plus tax and shipping for this stencil and it was worth every penny. They sent it super quick, it was in a box and protected really well. I was so impressed with this company, I would definitely order from them again.

I moved the stencil around so that I would not smudge the paint and in between I would wipe the stencil off with paper towels.

You can see where the stencil bled through a little bit on some of the stars...be sure to dab your brush off on paper toweling to the point of not having as much paint on it and you will get cleaner, sharper lines.

I spent quite some time on this stenciling project and I will add, my hips were killing me by the time I got to this point. I had to touch up a lot of my stars because of bleeding and the stencil not matching up.

It was around 5:00 p.m. and I am sitting back in the door way and I was thinking about how I am going to do the outer edge and the idea came to me, "Why Don't I paint it black?"

I am so happy that I went with the outer edge being black (used the same chalk paint), I felt added a little more character and depth to the floor.

After I was done with the edge and touching up, I applied 3 coats of Polycrylic from Menards:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZYYH4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=remingtonaven-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000BZYYH4&linkId=f7077cace378dbc4e5d42f4c59646d2e

Again, this is a super easy project and I would do it again in a heartbeat! The stencil from Cutting Edge was an awesome stencil to work with and truly, the floor looks fabulous in person.

I hope this post gave you an idea of something different to do for your home. It adds so much of an impact to this bathroom.

Thanks for reading!

31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

• Larry

Looks wonderful. One question... tile has a surface texture that helps avoid slips/falls (especially in a bathroom). Once this was finished, is it very slippery?

• Gabrielle Falk

Beautiful job indeed. But my question is.....how long has the paint lasted on the floor? No matter what sort of paint, it will always wear away and be scuffed. That is the main questionNo-body who does this sort of 'tile renovation' EVER mentions, the longevity expected from this sort of treatment. I bet, it's not very long at all.

• Barbara D

Well, it looks like they don't want to answer, so my thought is it may not have worked out. But it looks really nice!

• Sophie’s mom

Wouldn’t that be slick?