I Painted and Stenciled My Ceramic Tile!

$70

Yes, I painted my ceramic tile floor and I am so in love with it, I can't stand it.

A couple weeks ago, I posted my reveal of my 1990's bathroom and I promised a follow up with how to stencil that almond ceramic tile floor. Here is my bathroom reveal in case you missed it: http://www.hometalk.com/29927365/completed-my-1990-s-bathroom-reveal

When I told my darling hubster some of my ideas of what I wanted to do with this baby, he was like, "Whaaaatttt????"

Again, he was up at the cottage for the majority of this makeover. No meals to cook for this girl, yup, see ya buddy....don't let the door hit you on the way out ...

This is what the bathroom floor tile looked like in February.

A big thank you to fellow Hometalker, Stacy Davis, who gave me this great idea because she had seen how a gal had painted her tile floor: http://remingtonavenue.com/2015/08/the-girl-who-painted-her-tile.html

I couldn't resist the challenge and I LOVE stencils, so what the heck, after a little research, I jumped in.

It is truly amazing what paint can do for a home. You guys, this is such an easy makeover and the impact is crazy awesome!

Before you start painting...CLEAN! You want to clean the floor really good. I used TSP on my floor.

Once it is dry, sand the floor. You don't have to get too crazy, you just want to rough it up so the primer will grab it. After sanding vacuum and wipe up all the dust really good. You don't want anything on this floor before you start.

Looking better already with Primer and Paint!

These are the supplies that I used.

I used the Oil Based Kilz for this project. Prime the floor first, followed with the Behr Concrete and Garage Floor paint.

Leave the floor dry over night. I don't care if it is dry to the touch, I think you need to leave it sit and cure for the night.

This is the chalk paint that I used. DecoArt from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

The Stencil that I bought was from, "Cutting Edge Stencils": http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/jewel-tile-stencil-cement-tiles-stencils.html

I paid $12.95 plus tax and shipping for this stencil and it was worth every penny. They sent it super quick, it was in a box and protected really well. I was so impressed with this company, I would definitely order from them again.

I moved the stencil around so that I would not smudge the paint and in between I would wipe the stencil off with paper towels.

You can see where the stencil bled through a little bit on some of the stars...be sure to dab your brush off on paper toweling to the point of not having as much paint on it and you will get cleaner, sharper lines.

I spent quite some time on this stenciling project and I will add, my hips were killing me by the time I got to this point. I had to touch up a lot of my stars because of bleeding and the stencil not matching up.

It was around 5:00 p.m. and I am sitting back in the door way and I was thinking about how I am going to do the outer edge and the idea came to me, "Why Don't I paint it black?"

I am so happy that I went with the outer edge being black (used the same chalk paint), I felt added a little more character and depth to the floor.

After I was done with the edge and touching up, I applied 3 coats of Polycrylic from Menards:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZYYH4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=remingtonaven-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000BZYYH4&linkId=f7077cace378dbc4e5d42f4c59646d2e

Again, this is a super easy project and I would do it again in a heartbeat! The stencil from Cutting Edge was an awesome stencil to work with and truly, the floor looks fabulous in person.

I hope this post gave you an idea of something different to do for your home. It adds so much of an impact to this bathroom.

Thanks for reading!

• Janine

How long should the painted tile last ??

Also can you paint the tile in the shower ??

• John herb

OK BEAUTIFUL, BUT WILL IT HOLD UP TO TRAFFIC? I love it, but will it wear off and look bad? did you clear coat it??

• Julie

Is there such a thing as a clear base coat, or primer. I would love to stencil my floor but still leave some of the grey tile showing..

• Julie

Thank you Pamela..... I feel better now and ready to start my project . Do you remember where you got it at? Home Depot ?

• CYNTHIA

I think it looks really elegant. An awesome update. The color combination you chose will go with almost any other color and look great. Smart! I have a 1958 tiny tile with an intricate pattern of three different sized tile. I am thinking of painting to bath tile white, the walls white and the brown, tan and chocolate tiny tiles I mentioned aqua blue, or something close. I love the bathroom the way it is arranged but would like to freshen it up a bit.

• Andrea Lavin
    22 minutes ago

Your floor looks amazing great job!