I Painted and Stenciled My Ceramic Tile!

$70

Yes, I painted my ceramic tile floor and I am so in love with it, I can't stand it.

A couple weeks ago, I posted my reveal of my 1990's bathroom and I promised a follow up with how to stencil that almond ceramic tile floor. Here is my bathroom reveal in case you missed it: http://www.hometalk.com/29927365/completed-my-1990-s-bathroom-reveal

When I told my darling hubster some of my ideas of what I wanted to

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

This is what the bathroom floor tile looked like in February.

A big thank you to fellow Hometalker, Stacy Davis, who gave me this great idea because she had seen how a gal had painted her tile floor: http://remingtonavenue.com/2015/08/the-girl-who-painted-her-tile.html

I couldn't resist the challenge and I LOVE stencils, so what the heck, after a little research, I jumped in.

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

It is truly amazing what paint can do for a home. You guys, this is such an easy makeover and the impact is crazy awesome!

Before you start painting...CLEAN! You want to clean the floor really good. I used TSP on my floor.

Once it is dry, sand the floor. You don't have to get too crazy, you just want to rough it up so the primer will grab it. After sanding vacuum and wipe up all the dust really good. You don't want anything on this floor before you start.

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

Looking better already with Primer and Paint!

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

These are the supplies that I used.

I used the Oil Based Kilz for this project. Prime the floor first, followed with the Behr Concrete and Garage Floor paint.

Leave the floor dry over night. I don't care if it is dry to the touch, I think you need to leave it sit and cure for the night.

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

This is the chalk paint that I used. DecoArt from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

The Stencil that I bought was from, "Cutting Edge Stencils": http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/jewel-tile-stencil-cement-tiles-stencils.html

I paid $12.95 plus tax and shipping for this stencil and it was worth every penny. They sent it super quick, it was in a box and protected really well. I was so impressed with this company, I would definitely order from them again.

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

I moved the stencil around so that I would not smudge the paint and in between I would wipe the stencil off with paper towels.

You can see where the stencil bled through a little bit on some of the stars...be sure to dab your brush off on paper toweling to the point of not having as much paint on it and you will get cleaner, sharper lines.

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

I spent quite some time on this stenciling project and I will add, my hips were killing me by the time I got to this point. I had to touch up a lot of my stars because of bleeding and the stencil not matching up.

It was around 5:00 p.m. and I am sitting back in the door way and I was thinking about how I am going to do the outer edge and the idea came to me, "Why Don't I paint it black?"

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile
i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

I am so happy that I went with the outer edge being black (used the same chalk paint), I felt added a little more character and depth to the floor.

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

After I was done with the edge and touching up, I applied 3 coats of Polycrylic from Menards:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZYYH4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=remingtonaven-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000BZYYH4&linkId=f7077cace378dbc4e5d42f4c59646d2e

i painted and stenciled my ceramic tile

Again, this is a super easy project and I would do it again in a heartbeat! The stencil from Cutting Edge was an awesome stencil to work with and truly, the floor looks fabulous in person.

I hope this post gave you an idea of something different to do for your home. It adds so much of an impact to this bathroom.

Thanks for reading!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 19, 2018 11:04 PM - More info

• ConnieA

WOW!

• Jennifer Sooy
    Yesterday

You did an amazing job ! Thanks so much for sharing, I'm hoping to try it, my entire downstairs is tile , all the same kind, so not diversity, ! Love love it

• Thank you so much Jennifer!! Good Luck with your project. I am going to do this again in our new bathroom of the home that we bought this summer...can't wait!! After two years, this still looks great!