Tile Over Laminate Countertops

$250
2 Weeks
Advanced

I installed ceramic tile over my old 1980's laminate counter tops.
I used a product called Simple Mat instead of thinset mortar to adhere the tile to the counter and then i used white unsanded grout to grout the tiles.
tile over laminate countertops
This is the kitchen before. The counters were the original ones from when the house was built. They were in decent condition but very dated and had some marks and stains on them. I decided the most cost effective way to spruce them up was to lay cermaic tile directly over the laminate.
tile over laminate countertops
I use 4 inch ceramic tile and 6 inch bullnose tile over the existing laminate counter. I had to cut most of the tiles in half to create the diamond pattern. I used a wet tile saw from QEP to cut the tiles. I used bullnose tile along the edge of the counters.
tile over laminate countertops
This is the "island" part of the counter top. This part was the most tricky and I used 3x6 ceramic tile around the edges because this piece of the countertop was thicker.
tile over laminate countertops
You need to use a wet tile saw to cut tile. It sprays water onto the blade as it cuts to keep the blade cool. Many tile saws come with a guide that can be used to cut the tile at a 45 or 22 degree angle. I found that flipping the tiles face down before cutting them helped to reduce chipping while cutting.
tile over laminate countertops
After. Area near the sink.

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Lucy Marie Bernier

Looks great. The Simple mat makes for tiles to go on easier ?

Love to do that but I live in an apartment. They won’t even let me paint my mud brown cabinets white !

• Regina Houghton

U can always use contact paper on ur cab. To get the white then remove when u leave

• Marie

My concern is the grout. Grout absorbs all kinds if bacteria. How is it sealed so it doesn’t pick up bacteria from food and everyday use??

• JD

I’ve always liked the look of tile in the kitchen. You’re transformation looks great! Nice job!

• Angel

I used liquid nails so water would not get under and grouted as normal

• Sharon

Love what you did. I also have old 80's laminate and cannot figure out what to replace with. My issue is laminate is rounded (chipped also) in front. How do i tile over rounded or just cut it straight?

• Sandy

Have your countertops professionally sprayed to resemble granite. It's not that expensive and the business I used guarantees it for 8 years. Mine were done 5 years ago and are still looking great. You must remember that it is a painted finish NOT real stone, so you must not put hot pots down on it. I keep some small hot pads handy to set hot pots on. Tile and grout are not a good choice for kitchen countertops and that look is a bit outdated itself.

• Betty

Hi great job .looks nice. .