Tile Over Laminate Countertops

$250
2 Weeks
Advanced

I installed ceramic tile over my old 1980's laminate counter tops.
I used a product called Simple Mat instead of thinset mortar to adhere the tile to the counter and then i used white unsanded grout to grout the tiles.
This is the kitchen before. The counters were the original ones from when the house was built. They were in decent condition but very dated and had some marks and stains on them. I decided the most cost effective way to spruce them up was to lay cermaic tile directly over the laminate.
I use 4 inch ceramic tile and 6 inch bullnose tile over the existing laminate counter. I had to cut most of the tiles in half to create the diamond pattern. I used a wet tile saw from QEP to cut the tiles. I used bullnose tile along the edge of the counters.
This is the "island" part of the counter top. This part was the most tricky and I used 3x6 ceramic tile around the edges because this piece of the countertop was thicker.
You need to use a wet tile saw to cut tile. It sprays water onto the blade as it cuts to keep the blade cool. Many tile saws come with a guide that can be used to cut the tile at a 45 or 22 degree angle. I found that flipping the tiles face down before cutting them helped to reduce chipping while cutting.
After. Area near the sink.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Marie

My concern is the grout. Grout absorbs all kinds if bacteria. How is it sealed so it doesn’t pick up bacteria from food and everyday use??

• Flipturn

Tiled countertops are high maintenance because the grout sealant needs to be reapplied frequently. Constant cleaning and disinfecting that kitchen countertops require wears out the sealant quickly.

• Angel

I used liquid nails so water would not get under and grouted as normal

• Ingrid

Did you have to remove the sink in order to get the tile underneath? I have electric outlets and would like to tile around those, but the junction box would have to be moved to be level with the tile making the wall thicker, has anyone done this?

• Diane

Home Depot and the like have outlet boxes that extent the outlet to the desired depth that are very simple to install! Not a big expense either. They must be installed before the tile if I am not mistaken. Safer than drilling into tile.

• Bren

I use Simple Matt to install a tile backsplash over my new gas stove. That stuff is super strong and works amazing.

• Diane

Bren,

That looks great as well!