DIY Orb Light Fixture

$5

I've been looking at pictures of these orb lights for a few years and I've had the materials in my house for about a year now and I finally got around to it. It was super easy and i'm so happy with how it turned out. I'm also a DIY disaster so if I can get it to turn out nice looking anyone can!
All you need is a ball, twine, glue and something to trace a circle on the ball with. You can get really crazy and do it free hand if you want . I used a cup to trace a circle on each side. One side smaller to be able to hang it from and the bottom side a little large so you can change bulbs and so that more light will come through.
I repuposed my tracing glass to hold the glue (probably something I'm gonna regret when it comes time to wash it). I used wood glue but When researching how to make it I saw many people use Modge podge so I'm sure that would Be fine as well. Then you just start wrapping the twine around the ball and gluing it down. I found the most effective was to wipe glue on the twine otherwise afterwards you have all this extra glue forming a thin layer between the strings that you have to get rid of.
After about an hour of wrapping i was finished. I left it to dry for another hour.
i know that really I should have taken a pin and lwt the air out of the ball but I couldn't find a pin and I stabbed it with a knife instead.
That's it! Once you've taken the ball out you just have to hang it! My orb wasn't measure to fit perfectly so I mutilated a hang to attach it to my light.

Nava Gross Beginsky

• KattywhampusLOL

So exactly how DID you hang it ? ... I only see a ball of open twine but nothing to hang it with on the light fixture.
    • KattywhampusLOL

Thank you for the information --- I actually think I will do it similarly to the way YOU did it just to be sure it stays up :) Thnak you so much for answering so quickly ... have a great week :)
  • Gle17465133

...could I use a balloon instead of a ball? Fire hazard or not, it looks great...good job, & thanks for sharing...
    • Barb

If you use LED bulbs then heat isn't an issue. They are relatively cool.

• Ms Terry

I have been seeing this idea for a while Using a balloon, but have been afraid half way through the balloon would pop on me! The ball idea will insure that won’t happen and ruin the start of your project! So thank you for that! Can I spraY it with Modge Podge so I can hang it in my gazebo? Thank you for the inspiration!

• Kathy

I wonder what it would like with wire of some kind?
  • Nancy

Looks just like the orange one we had above a split stairwell in 1972.