Old Wood Bookcase

$15

A friend dropped off an old beat up bookcase. She asked me to refinish it and make it pretty. I sat and I would stare at it trying to figure out where to start.

If you're in the Houston area, you can Team Up with me to redo a piece of your furniture. Just click here to go to my profile page and message me to get started!

I sanded first with a medium grit sandpaper. The ugly black latex paint was coming off. Yay!!

I then removed the cardboard type backing from the back. It had a few holes and just wasn't going to look good with the vision I had in mind for this bookcase.

the sanding was taking forever, I knew i had some citristrip stripper so I used it to peel the ugly black paint from the pretty dark wood underneath.

Making progress, yes it's kind of messy but if you wrap a plastic trash bag around the project with your citristrip stripper is usually pulls most of the paint off without having to scrape. Sorry I didn't take a photo of that step.

Once most of my black paint was removed I wiped it down with an old tshirt dipped in a little mineral spirits. It helps get rid of the tackiness. Then I started sanding with 150 grit sandpaper. once I had it smooth I started staining with mini wax special walnut colored stain. I stained the Cabinet and shutter doors. Once it was dry I waited about 4 hours. I added few dabs of Vaseline where I didn't want my paint sticking and then started painting with homemade chalk paint in a cream color. Meanwhile i have already measured the length of this bookkcase to add my shutter doors. My husband trimmed them with his jigsaw. That's the only saw we have. I painted two coats of paint and let dry. Once it dried I sanded by hand and the areas where I put Vaseline did the distressing for me.

Once these were the correct length my husband had already cut some old fence boards for me to use as a new backing. I couldn't get the boards to fit evenly and flush we had to space them a tiny bit.

after we made sure the shutter doors were the right length we used hinges and put them on the bookcase.

I had also stained and painted the old fence boards with the same colors I used on the bookcase.

Before and after

If you're in the Houston area, you can Team Up with me to redo a piece of your furniture.  Just click here to go to my profile page and message me to get started!

Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper

• Sootie

So beachy and chic. Love it. What did you add to the top of the shutters and what hardware for the closure? I noticed in the first photo you added little feet, really a nice touch.
    • Kathy Joyce

There are hinges that automatically close doors, Don't know what sizes are available.

• Valh20man

Did you wax it afterwards? Most people do.
    • Martha

Wondering...why did you strip it, if you were going to paint it?

• Barb Edlen

Wow!!! This turned out amazing!!!!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful solution.

• Jewellmartin

I have been working on a bookcase cabinet for a year. Today I got two good suggestions from your project. Maybe I will finish mine. Thanks!