Make A Plastic Garbage Can Look High End

I couldn't stand it any longer. That plain, plastic garbage can in my kitchen. I took it on as a challenge!
I primed it with Rustoleum's Plastic Primer and then painted the can with neutral brown paint. I sponged a deeper color on to the piece and blended it to create a soft faux finish, then added a second, even deeper color.
I then used our Raised Plaster Brassio Frieze stencil with metallic gold paint to create a focal design. Sealing it with spray varnish was all that was needed to protect the finish. What compliments I've had on that garbage can and now I don't mind it being out in the open for everyone to see!
A tall plastic garbage can is just an eyesore.
Primed with spray plastic primer before a coat of neutral brown paint.
Sponging on a deeper paint color
Sponging on a deeper paint color
A second, even deeper color is sponged on to the surface and blended
Stenciling in metallic gold creates a focal design. Spray varnish protects the piece.

• Sheila Matheis

How do you clean it? Was curious if you used chemicals to clean it and if so how its held upm

• Wxw

Remember where you purchased stencil? Would love to use on a wall. BTW, Love the trash can. Would work for our dwnstrs bath.

Also, if concerned with cleaning or long lasting finish, i spray majority of my paint projects with satin finish, clear polyureathane found @ home improvement stores. Provides protection for outdoor artwork, planters, etc., does not alter color or finish. Polyureathane also available in a "shine" finish for a "glossy" look if your paint your paint product is flat or satin.

• Janet sullivan

What paint do you use for stepling?

• Jane Mulder

I will try it!

• Wxw

If concerned with cleaning or long lasting finish, i spray majority of my paint projects with satin finish, clear polyureathane found @ home improvement stores. Provides protection for outdoor artwork, planters, wooden tables, etc. Helps keep from weathering, wood rot, does not alter color or finish. Polyureathane also available in a "shine" finish for a "glossy" look if your paint your paint product is flat or satin.