DIY West Elm Hack Copper Ice Bucket

$25

I don’t know about you, but I am currently crushing on all things West Elm. I adore the clean lines and sophisticated style that West Elm consistently puts out…but the price tag usually has my heart skip a beat for other reasons! I think that is why I am such a DIY nut. I love beautiful things, but hate the costs that they usually incur. I am not one for getting discouraged by dollar signs. Instead, I always see it as a personal challenge. How to I get the essence of what I love for what the price that fits my budget. This little hack is the perfect example. I loved West Elm’s ice bucket, so with a little creativity I busted out my own version for way cheaper! When all was said and done, my new piece only set me back like $30. A big improvement on the $80 price tag of West Elm.

Note: The West Elm product is actually their Spun Metal Planter that they repurposed on Instagram as an ice bucket to chill some wine. My version would make a great appearance as a planter, too

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
Supplies:
  • M sized 1/2″ copper pipe (sold in 5′ lengths)
  • 6- 1/2″ copper T- joiners
  • 4- 1/2″ copper end caps
  • pipe cutter
  • sand paper
  • adhesive for metal
  • paint bucket
  • copper Rust-Oleum spray paint
Cut List:
  • 4 pieces at 2 1/2″
  • 4 pieces at 3″
  • 4 pieces at 4″
  • 1 piece at 5″

Cutting with the pipe cutter is a cinch!  Find your spot, tighten and twist until it cuts through the pipe.
We got ours from Ace Hardware, our go to store for all our upcycle and repurposed projects!
The rest of this project is what I enthusiastically call “adult legos!” If you are one of those nerds who loves to put together Ikea furniture, this project is perfect for you! Grabbing the 5″ piece, apply your Gorilla Glue to one end. Remember how your roughed up the ends with the sandpaper? It made for the perfect texture for the glue to adhere to.
Attach a T-joint and then repeat on the other end. This will be the center connector of your stand.
Using two of the 2 1/2″ pieces, attach them to either side of one T-joint and then cap then with two more T-joints. Now repeat on the other side. This will create the body of your stand…all that is left is giving it legs and some upward height.
Use the 4″ pieces to create “legs” for your stand.
Insert the 3″ pieces into the top openings of the T-joints to create your top height. Finish by using the 4 caps to give your stand a completed look.
After a couple of coats of Rustoleum copper spray paint, the paint bucket looks perfect with the copper stand! I was super excited to see how well they matched. You may want to give the bucket a clear coating to protect the finish over time,,,especially if you are prone to schlepping your creation out to picnics, like I am!
I love how using a little upcycling know-how can turn a plain old paint bucket into a West Elm inspired copper ice bucket. This project was a cinch, and the lego-esque nature of it made for a super fun crafting experience.
You might want to make one to give and one to keep! Christmas present prepping yet, anyone??

xoxo,
Chanda

• M sized 1/2″ copper pipe (sold in 5′ lengths)  (Home Depot)
  • 6- 1/2″ copper T- joiners  (Home Depot)
  • 4- 1/2″ copper end caps  (Home Depot)

Zest it Up

• Lee

Why not just use PVC pipes,connectors, and end caps and paint them with spray paint for plastics? It seems like it would be less expensive. I do like the results.

• Robyn Garner

Great idea! 😎 You could even use wider diameter pipes for a "clunkier" = more expensive looking stand!