The Candie Corner
The Candie Corner
  • Canada

Transform Galvanized Metal To Get The Aged Look

$4

I've been seeing a lot of aged galvanized metal planters around recently. I love this idea, so I went on to make my own! I had to do a bit of research to find what I was looking for in order to age my galvanized metal planters, but I was able to successfully find a way to age these beautiful pots with one trick!
transform galvanized metal to get the aged look
I started by purchasing my galvanized metal planter bucket from my local Dollar Store. I also purchased this Lysol toilet bowl cleaner as well! These are the two most important items you will need to complete this project!

You will also need some newspaper or plastic to use as your base just in case any of your toilet bowl cleaner runs off of your bucket. I also used paper towels to smear the toilet bowl cleaner over my planter.
The first thing that you will do is put some gloves on! This is important because most toilet bowl cleaners contain Hydrocloric acid which is an irritant to touch!

When you have your gloves on, spread your toilet bowl cleaner over your bucket evenly. I dabbed mine around with the paper towel until it was completely covered. It will look something like what is above!
Leave your bucket until it has completely dried. The picture above shows mine is well on its way to being dry!

Once my bucket was completely dried, I continued with another layer until I got the aged look I wanted! The finished product is below!
Voila! See how gorgeous this turned out! The longer you leave the toilet bowl cleaner on, the more aged of a look you will get!
The Candie Corner

• Cindy

I see soap suds. Do you wash the toilet bowl cleaner off?
    • Paula Pittinger McNeely

the 'soap suds' you are seeing is the toilet bowl cleaner. she says after 3rd application she rinsed it off.
  • DJ

We're on a well and septic system and avoid chlorine bleach and harsh chemicals. Where are you guys disposing of the rinsewater after rinsing off the bucket? Awfully caustic chemicals, and not anything I'd toss in a garden...
  • Paula Pittinger McNeely

Does it have to be Lysol or will any liquid bowl cleaner work? tia

• Daisy@TX

Yes I have a tall galvanized bucket/vase I wanted to age but did not have an idea how. Thanks for sharing now I will work on mine.

• OhSally

Nice!