Converting a Lamp Shade Into a Bug Catcher. This is a No Cost Projec

$0

I was inspired to do this project by the summertime need to have more protection for fruits and other things kept unrefrigerated. In Maine we don’t have air conditioning so windows and doors are usually open and, even though screened, bugs get in!
I had all the materials  at hand! I thought of this because I had an old lamp shade. First I removed the old covering.
Then I painted the frame
Then I cut some netting I had into eight trapezoid shapes (this was not too precise, I just allowed enough and then some.
I hand sewed the sections together.  I could have used my sewing machine and used waxed paper under and over the top and bottom of the netting but it wasn’t worth opening my machine and I could watch t.v. while hand sewing! 
after sewing my husband cut down the screw on a doorknob I had to use for a handle.  I had one cover already but that was too low and too wide for many things.  Also the collapsible netting bug catchers are pretty fragile. 
Voila, project completed and used on our side porch!

Now I am eyeing some left over screening material and wondering if I have a box I could cut the centers from!  Or maybe a round shaped lamp shade that I could cover with screening or maybe even old dress patterns!

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?

• Shannon Lerner

Why do you call it a bug catcher? It doesn’t catch bugs it keeps them off your food.

• DJ Harrison

Specifically, this kind of cover is called a cloche. I love the cover.

It doesn't matter what she called it, it's a great idea. I've been planning to make cloches from old lamp shades and chicken wire to keep baby rabbits from eating my flower garden. They will be held down with landscape staples so the bunnies can't knock them over.

• Carol

You did a wonderful job,I luv the way all the green matches in the room.

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

Did you do something at the bottom to reinforce it or hold it to the frame? It could be my eyes deceiving me, but it looks like there's some type of binding.

This is an adorable idea!! It's cuter and has more character than the junk sold in stores!