Converting a Lamp Shade Into a Bug Catcher. This is a No Cost Projec

6 materials
I was inspired to do this project by the summertime need to have more protection for fruits and other things kept unrefrigerated. In Maine we don’t have air conditioning so windows and doors are usually open and, even though screened, bugs get in!
I had all the materials  at hand! I thought of this because I had an old lamp shade. First I removed the old covering.
Then I painted the frame
Then I cut some netting I had into eight trapezoid shapes (this was not too precise, I just allowed enough and then some.
I hand sewed the sections together.  I could have used my sewing machine and used waxed paper under and over the top and bottom of the netting but it wasn’t worth opening my machine and I could watch t.v. while hand sewing! 
after sewing my husband cut down the screw on a doorknob I had to use for a handle.  I had one cover already but that was too low and too wide for many things.  Also the collapsible netting bug catchers are pretty fragile. 
Voila, project completed and used on our side porch!

Now I am eyeing some left over screening material and wondering if I have a box I could cut the centers from!  Or maybe a round shaped lamp shade that I could cover with screening or maybe even old dress patterns!

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 13 questions

Comments

2 of 131 comments
Next