Laundry Room With Curtains

$5

My washer and dryer are in my kitchen. It drives me crazy. And until we get to remodeling that part of the house, I needed a temporary fix! So with a few failed attempts at covering them up, I was finally successful with this idea. I wanted to make this as inexpensive as I possibly could. I went to the Dollar Store for the curtain rods and the shower curtain rings. And for the curtains themselves, I scoured the thrift stores for fabric. And without any luck I went through old curtains I had from our previous home that didn't fit the windows of our new (work in progress) home. I found the length I needed (84") and went to work. I knew I wouldn't be using these curtains again so I wasn't hesitant to cut little slits in them to put the curtain rings thru. I first hung the curtain rods from the ceiling. Using a measiring tape to get the exact width and a simple piece of string to help keep everything in line. One those were in place I layed the curtains on the floor stacked one on top of another. I cut slats for 3 curtain rings per panel. And that was it. Hung them up and walked away! I completely love the temp fix to hide the washer and dryer before we can relocate them to the basement.
Side Note: I strongly recommend the curtain rings. They make opening and closing the curtains extremely easy. I originally had the curtains hung without the rings and could barely pull them open. Not to mention they came up short in length. The rings make all the difference!!
Thanks for checking out my post!!!!

laundry room with curtains
Before picture. As you can see, it's not pretty to look at.
laundry room with curtains
Hung a cheap $2.50 curtain rod on the ceiling.
Made sure to purchase the extra long width and length.
laundry room with curtains
Bought $2 worth of shower curtain rings at the dollar store.
I used curtains I already owned and didnt plan on using anywhere else in the house. I cut slats in the top part of them to slip the rings thru.
laundry room with curtains
Done!!!
The rings make it very easy to open and close the curtains when not in use.
laundry room with curtains
Finished product!!!
I am in love!
Temporarily of course. 😉

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/kimberkersey#!/kimberkersey

• Darcy Lynn

How would I do this with a sloped ceiling, where I would want the curtains to go from ceiling to floor ?
    • Mary

Same way. Doesn’t matter if ceiling slopes from front to rear. If it slopes left to right just adjust the placement of your brackets and hem accordingly. You could also leave a pitched opening at top. Wouldn’t look as good but would still hide area. You could also use shower rods which come in various shapes ( straight, right angled, round, double for a valance and bowed).

• Marion Cowan

Perhaps some pretty shower curtains?

• Marcy

What about Tension Rods?

• Twyla J Boyer

Tensions rods require a solid wall or other stopping mechanism on both ends. There's a wall on only one side of the area, so tension rods wouldn't work.

• Twyla J Boyer

My laundry area is in the basement which is not finished and is unattractive. Since my house is a bit of a fixer upper, the basement isn't on the list of priorities. I don't like how it looks now, though, and have been trying to find a way to make it more attractive so I feel better about going down there to do laundry. I'd considered shutters or how to make a screen or something like that, but hadn't really thought about curtains. I think I will be upgrading my laundry area with ceiling mounted curtains soon - to hide the unattractive walls and utilitarian storage, not the machines. Thanks for the idea.

• Lori

Another great idea. My laundry room is as we come through our back door, this will work to cover any mess.