Dry Erase Calendar DIY Back to School Craft

$3

It is back to school time again and I have a fun project to get you and your family organized. Did you know dry erase markers work on glass just the same as a white board? Well, I am going to show you how to make a dry erase calendar yourself using any old picture frame that has its glass still intact.
This large picture was picked up at a garage sale for $1 or something like that and will make the perfect size calendar for my house! The woman drawn on here that I’ve affectionately named Bonita will now be displaced from her home.
dry erase calendar diy back to school craft
The back of Bonita's frame looks like this:
No worries! Simply remove the brown paper to reveal the cardboard backing for whatever is in the frame. I also untwisted the eye-hooks that held on the hanging wire.
This photo frame had small nails holding the cardboard backing in, but oftentimes they are staples. Simply use a flathead screwdriver to bend these up and take out the frame’s components.
Once Bonita’s photo was disassembled, I threw away the old photograph and pulled out some poster board to replace it with. I cut the poster board to size and measured out what size boxes I could make with the dimensions. You will want to figure 6 rows and 7 columns (one for each day of the week).
Draw your lines with a pen or marker and then make small boxes in each corner for the date. When the poster board is done, it is time to reassemble!
Before I put everything back together, I spray painted the frame black so that it was more my taste.
There you have it! I put the days of the week on sticker paper attached to the frame itself. You can also plan to put the days of the week on the actual poster board inside the frame.
I used dry erase markers to write on the glass and plan out my month. Then it easily wipes off when plans change or I need to reset the calendar.
This dry erase calendar resides in our kitchen to keep our whole family organized. It is so easy to make and would be perfect for back to school! Thanks for reading my idea, tell me if you have ever made something that could be used with dry erase markers?

Melissa Woods

• Ellen

Looks very nice! However, what did you do with the original frame? That is not the one you show in the after photos or else you used another frame to frame the original. Please let us know. Thanks.

• Mindy Baker

you can use window cleaner like windex to take permanent marker off windows and mirrors. i used to draw on my mirror as a teenager with black and colored sharpie markers when i was a teenager. now my grandchildren draw with permanent markers on my window thats in my kitchen door as a way to entertain themselves.

• Ben33741377

Where does she show what month it is?

• CJ

She doesn't label the month, she only uses it for the current month then cleans off the glass to write in the dates and activities for the new month.

• Terrilyn Hergott

How did you make it dry erase? Poster board is not dry erase.

• Amanda Carraway

Yes, I will do this, there's so many thrift stores in my area.

• Jennifer Dreher

I’ve seen something like this before and wanted to try it, but forgot all about it! I’m definitely inspired to hit the thrift store for some frames, and make one of these for our family. I may try to play with four months instead of one, just to manage the crazy!