DIY Wool Dryer Balls-Eco Friendly Chemical Free

17K Views
You will need:
6 Skeins of 100% Wool Yarn (Patons Classic 100 % Wool Yarnworks well. If you have the Michaels orJoAnn's Fabric 50% off coupons it's about $3.00 a skein)
1 Pair of old or new Panty Hose Stockings
1 large yarn needle
Scissors
Acrylic or Cotton Yarn
Your favorite essential oil (mine is lavender)

Directions:
*Wraps the wool yarn around two fingers about 10 times and pull off fingers.
*Wrap the middle of the tens strands, then fold in half and begin wrapping around the entire newly forming ball.
*Continue to wrap evenly around the ball (it may seem lopsided but you can easily correct shape by adding more yarn around the area that needs it to become a ball shape).
*It will take one skein of yarn to make a softball sized dryer ball.
*When you come to about the last 5 inches of yarn, thread it though your large yarn needle.
*Once threaded push the needle through the ball and pull it out the other end. Repeat this a few times, then cut the remaining small piece left hanging out flush to the ball.
*Repeat these steps until you have 6 large wool dryer balls.Inserts the balls into your two pantyhose stocking and using the acrylic yarn tie off each ball (so they don't felt together).
*Make sure each end it tied off to keep the balls in the stockings.
*Add them to your washer with a load of towels.
*Wash on hot, with cold rinse.*Remove from washer when done, keeping in the pantyhose.
*Add them to the dryer with the towels on hottest setting and dry completely.
*Remove from dryer & remove the balls from the stockings.
*The balls should be felted now (meaning the stands are stuck together and will not separate).
*If they are not properly felted add them back to another pair of stockings and wash/dry again following the same steps listed above.
*Sometimes it takes a few times to felt the balls properly, depending on the wool you use. I use Patons and have not had any issues with not felting on the first try.
*Add a drop of your favorite essential oil to each ball and throw all six back in with the towels for about 20 minutes to complete your felt.

Notes: This is a great way to naturally scent your clothes. I am chemically sensitive so this is a must for me. I absolutely love my wool dryer balls. If you use 6 balls it will cut down on drying time while helping your clothes be less wrinkled & free of static cling. They make great gifts. You can make a couple and included the instructions with a set of towels or whatever else you want to give for a house warming or wedding shower gift.
<<<To avoids lots of wool fibers on your clothes, toss them in a little cotton laundry bag until they no longer shed (it takes several uses in dryer bag to stop the shedding). It may mean you need to re-felt the too. It can take 3 times to really felt them using new nylons each time.>>>
Yields: 6 Wool Dryer Balls
  • diy wool dryer balls eco friendly chemical free, cleaning tips, crafts

Suggested materials for this project:

The Elegant Home

Ask a Question
      • Miriam I
        Miriam I Houston, TX

Thank you for this amazing tutorial! I have the confidence to try this now. :)

• The Elegant Home
            The Elegant Home Eugene, OR

@Miriam I Remember to use them for a while in an enclosed dryer back to eliminate shedding...they eventually stop shedding, mine have and I love them! PS. They are a bit noisy but I shut the door to the Laundry Room and it does not bother me.

• Paula Beckham
            Paula Beckham Murrells Inlet, SC

Sure would like to make my own, but here in the south it's next to impossible to find wool yarn. Everything's acrylic. I ordered some online last year but with shipping, it's not a good deal.

• Leslie Berryman
                Leslie Berryman Tucson, AZ

Have you tried thrift stores for 100% wool sweaters? You can unwind the sweater. Also they may have yarn skeins. Color doesn't matter. Good Luck. I love mine had them 13 years!