How I Keep the Falling Leaves Off My Patio Chair Cushions

$12

I got tired of going outside in the morning to wet and/or dirty cushions. I didn't want to store them in the garden shed, and I didn't want to spend the money on a storage container (or have to look at it), so I decided to come up with my own solution.

Dirty Patio Chairs

Tools and Materials

• Tape measure
  • 1x3 piece of wood
  • 3 L-shaped brackets
  • 3 coat hooks
  • 2 flush brackets
  • Screwdriver
  • Screws

Measure

Measure

I picked a spot out of the way on my soffit. My house is clad in basic vinyl siding, but I didn't want to damage it either. I measured from the siding to the edge of the fascia and subtracted 1/8" for a 1x3 treated board I bought at Lowes

Add Brackets

Add Brackets

I added two L-shaped brackets flush with the top of this 1x3. These will be inserted above the siding.

Add One Bracket to the Other End

L-shaped Bracket

I then added another bracket to the other end of the 1x3 (sorry this is blurry) on top. This will be attached to the fascia.

Add Coat Hooks

Add Coat Hooks

Now to add some coat hooks. I had three cushions I wanted out of the way, so I used three hooks.

Attach to Siding

Attach to Siding

I inserted the two flush brackets between the siding and the soffit. They rest on the siding. (Next pic will help) then attached the top bracket to the fascia with a single sheet metal screw.

DIY Patio Cushion Storage

Here's the board resting on top of the siding at the back, with one screw holding it on out front. I left it unpainted for the pics to show detail. It will get taken down and all painted white ASAP.

Easy Patio Cushion Storage

Here are my three cushions. They won't stay here in a good storm, but they didn't always stay on the chairs either. When I went outside for breakfast this morning only the face of the outermost cushion had any dew on it. I used the second cushion to sit on, and enjoyed a dry seat. Best of all, storing them here is convenient so it will happen more often.

mDesign Wall Mount Entryway Single Storage Hook for Jackets, Coats, Hats,...
Accessbuy 10-pack Stainless Steel 90 Degree Angle Brackets with Screws,...

15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls

• Ann Dougherty

great idea!

• Lyn

Do you have any issues with the weight in the eaves?

• Jim Cox

So far none. Once the board scooted an inch or so after a good windy storm (it was storing all three cushions) but no issues. I have another idea for a wall planter that will solve the weight issue as well ; )

• Bev Warren

Really like the idea. Did you have to add the straps to the cushions? Mine don't have them. Your idea can be used for numerous "things". Thanks

• Jim Cox

I agree it's a good idea, but my 'vinyl home' probably can't have the hooks.

• Arlene Kevitz

I want to know how do you get them up there? I'm so short I'd need a ladder to reach them.

• Jim Cox

I hadn’t thought of that - I’m 5’10. Perhaps sew a larger loop on to the cushions so you could hold them from below and ‘snag’ your loop onto a hook : )

• Merelyn sale

Clever idea.