Jim Cox
Jim Cox
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springfield, MO

How I Keep the Falling Leaves Off My Patio Chair Cushions

$12

Some place to store my cushions close by, but still out of the way
Too much yuck!
Too much yuck!
I got tired of going outside in the morning to wet and/or dirty cushions. I didn't want to store them in the garden shed, and I didn't want to spend the money on a storage container (or have to look at it)
how i keep the falling leaves off my patio chair cushions
I picked a spot out of the way on my soffit. My house is clad in basic vinyl siding, but I didn't want to damage it either. I measured from the siding to the edge of the fascia and subtracted 1/8" for a 1x3 treated board I bought at Lowes
I added two L-shaped brackets flush with the top of this 1x3. These will be inserted above the siding.
I then added another bracket to the other end of the 1x3 (sorry this is blurry) on top. This will be attached to the fascia.
Now to add some coat hooks. I had three cushions I wanted out of the way, so I used three hooks.
I inserted the two flush brackets between the siding and the soffit. They rest on the siding. (Next pic will help) then attached the top bracket to the fascia with a single sheet metal screw.
Here's the board resting on top of the siding at the back, with one screw holding it on out front. I left it unpainted for the pics to show detail. It will get taken down and all painted white ASAP.
Here are my three cushions. They won't stay here in a good storm, but they didn't always stay on the chairs either. When I went outside for breakfast this morning only the face of the outermost cushion had any dew on it. I used the second cushion to sit on, and enjoyed a dry seat. Best of all, storing them here is convenient so it will happen more often.

• Alice

Is that what the loop is for???...
    • La streight

you can take a twist tie or rubberband to secure it during winds and storms

• Judy Thurston

I got a shelve like that given to me, i was just wondering if you had any suggestions on where i can hang it up? We live in a duplex. Could you please help me? Thank-You!

• Jewellmartin

Judy, how about near where you go in and out with groceries? You can hang the reusable bags there to remind you to take them, but they are out of your way when they are empty. ☺️

• Thelma

Why not just turn the cushions over, upside-down on the chairs? This would keep the moisture and leaves off the seats, you could just turn the over - right-side-up, when you got ready to sit down. Nice and dry and dirt free seat!

• Arlis Posey

And to keep the first one dry cut a shower curtain short and hang the shower curtain around the cushions . You already have grommets at the top to Hang it from they are protected even more.

• Angel in Albuquerque

You can just stick plastic bags on them.

• Kathy Chojnacki

I actually love the plastic bag idea, Angel in Albuquerque! I’m a widow and not very handy with building. Also, spiders would love these hanging near the ceiling of my porch! Eww!