How I Keep the Falling Leaves Off My Patio Chair Cushions

$12

I got tired of going outside in the morning to wet and/or dirty cushions. I didn't want to store them in the garden shed, and I didn't want to spend the money on a storage container (or have to look at it), so I decided to come up with my own solution.

Dirty Patio Chairs

Tools and Materials

• Tape measure
  • 1x3 piece of wood
  • 3 L-shaped brackets
  • 3 coat hooks
  • 2 flush brackets
  • Screwdriver
  • Screws

Measure

Measure

I picked a spot out of the way on my soffit. My house is clad in basic vinyl siding, but I didn't want to damage it either. I measured from the siding to the edge of the fascia and subtracted 1/8" for a 1x3 treated board I bought at Lowes

Add Brackets

Add Brackets

I added two L-shaped brackets flush with the top of this 1x3. These will be inserted above the siding.

Add One Bracket to the Other End

L-shaped Bracket

I then added another bracket to the other end of the 1x3 (sorry this is blurry) on top. This will be attached to the fascia.

Add Coat Hooks

Add Coat Hooks

Now to add some coat hooks. I had three cushions I wanted out of the way, so I used three hooks.

Attach to Siding

Attach to Siding

I inserted the two flush brackets between the siding and the soffit. They rest on the siding. (Next pic will help) then attached the top bracket to the fascia with a single sheet metal screw.

DIY Patio Cushion Storage

Here's the board resting on top of the siding at the back, with one screw holding it on out front. I left it unpainted for the pics to show detail. It will get taken down and all painted white ASAP.

Easy Patio Cushion Storage

Here are my three cushions. They won't stay here in a good storm, but they didn't always stay on the chairs either. When I went outside for breakfast this morning only the face of the outermost cushion had any dew on it. I used the second cushion to sit on, and enjoyed a dry seat. Best of all, storing them here is convenient so it will happen more often.

mDesign Wall Mount Entryway Single Storage Hook for Jackets, Coats, Hats,...
Accessbuy 10-pack Stainless Steel 90 Degree Angle Brackets with Screws,...

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas

• Carlene Williams Johnson

I really like this idea! Could hang something like an outside flag (something waterproof) in front n to the sides to help keep rain etc off them but still allow airflow? Just thinking outside the box..

• Ann Dougherty

great idea!

• Lyn

Do you have any issues with the weight in the eaves?

• Jim Cox

So far none. Once the board scooted an inch or so after a good windy storm (it was storing all three cushions) but no issues. I have another idea for a wall planter that will solve the weight issue as well ; )

• Joann Felters

I also bring my cushions into the house; but no storage space for them. Great idea, but my house does not have eaves!

• Lovesunique

Nifty idea so you don't have to keep taking them out of your permanent storage area all the time. I usually fold my lounge cushion back so it's clean when I want to sit on it...works too when the cats decide to lay on it and the cat hair is on the underside. I have eaves but too high up, I would need a ladder. Also, while the cushions are hanging it makes it easy to clean them so you really created something practical!