Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How to Stain Wood With Vinegar

$10

Nothing seizes to amaze me. I’ve been staining wood for years and though I’ve tried just about every technique out there. NOPE! This was totally new to me. Who would have ever thought of combining vinegar and steel wool to make a stain? Check it out:
how to stain wood with vinegar
I used an old glass jar and ripped up small pieces of steel wool and placed them in the jar. Then I pour in the vinegar covering the steel wool and let it sit overnight, abut 24 hours. It looks kind of like ice tea and smells like vinegar. It’s not bad, I’ve worked with stains that smell so bad I had to open the window or work outside.
how to stain wood with vinegar
Take an old brush, dip it in vinegar and paint! Follow the grain of wood.

Watch it transform! It will get darker as it dries.

how to stain wood with vinegar
I would, seal it with a clear coat  to protect it.
how to stain wood with vinegar
I must say, I’m pretty impressed the way it came out. I love wood grain and this color looks very natural and the grain looks amazing.

I would love to know what you think and if you've stained like this before!

I love to use products around my house to create gorgeous finishes, on my website check out my e-book How to Faux Finish Using Common Household Items.

• Vinegar
  • Steel wool
Cheryl Phan