How to Weatherproof Your Vinyl or Wood Screen Door

$35

I've always loved the old fashioned screen doors. And the home improvement stores have a nice variety in a good price range. Something for everyone! The one problem with screen doors though is that they don't keep cold wind out in the fall and winter because they do not come with storm windows nor do they sell them. WE HAVE THE SOLUTION!
All the home improvement stores have a variety of vinyl or wood screen doors in many styles and prices so check around! We found our vinyl door at Home Depot.

It's a great screen door in the summer but oh my gosh, in late fall and through the winter I really want to be able to have some windbreak when I stand at the door looking out.
So we bought a sheet of clear Plexiglas that covers the screen. The piece we bought was a little too big so we had to cut it down. If the place you purchase it from won't cut it they sell a tool that allows you to do it yourself. I'd say the trick to getting a clean break is scoring the Plexiglass deep enough with the tool.
We also bought these nifty mirror holder clips to hold the plexiglass in place. They come complete with the screws. The package we bought was a set of 12 but we only used 11 on our door.
Pre drill the holes then have someone hold the Plexiglas in place as you screw the mirror holders snugly into place.
Now you can stand at the door to greet guests when that bone chilling weather arrives! We are usually ready to put the Plexiglas back in by Halloween so we can keep the main door open and watch for trick or treaters. We take the Plexiglas out during the Spring and Summer and part of Fall and store it away covered so it won't get scratched. The mirror holders can stay in the door.

• Judy Reynolds

I can’t find the plexiglass that size on the link you provided. Any other suggestions?
    • Sandra Tofflemire

I went to a local glass store in my area and they ordered the plexy glass and also cut it for me and attached it to my screen door I did the patio screen door so my dogs can still use the doggy dog on the bottom and go in and out when they want. Well worth the money, especially when you go out, they can go when they need to. I can leave it on for the air conditioner also..

• Nicki Lindheimer

Do you recommend a certain thickness of plexi? Thanks!

• Kelly-n-Tony

Basically it's just for blocking the wind and still allowing you to look outside. So go with what feels sturdy enough for you. You'll be storing it in the summer.

• Marguerite Shipley

I've been wanting to do something for a screened door I have. I thought I would have to wrap plastic around it, and that would be bad. Too late to do it this year, but definitely before next winter. Thanks.

• Jana

Do you mount it on the inside? Are there issues with water running inside the door? We have a covered porch with 70 yr old screened french doors. Would it be better to cover them on the outside to keep snow and rain outside the door?

• Kelly-n-Tony

It's mounted on the inside of the door. Our porch is covered and no water or snow has ever run inside the door.