Holiday Ombre Pinecone Wreath

$8

Gather up some pinecones, I've got a pretty holiday idea for you! I'm going to be honest, this is not one of my quick and simple crafts that I normally like to do. It's a bit of a chore, but its so worth it!

I came across this wreath idea via BH&G (Better Homes and Garden) and I "needed" one too! It was not only beautiful, but it was a perfect color scheme for my freshly painted front door.
My Mama has two giant pine trees in her front yard and at almost any given time you can gather up quite a few pinecones for crafting.  We happen to have several bags full because I'm always "going to make something" with them and then I don't.  Sound familiar?

If you have just picked up your pinecones, you may want to de-bug and fully open them. Please visit our blog for a link for the how-to.  I've had mine for over a year so they are all open and buggie free!
You will need the following items to make your own wreath:

18" Grapevine Wreath (I usually get mine at Goodwill or thrift stores)
Lots of pinecones (I used 42), the smaller the better.  The larger ones are harder to work with.
Spray Paint - Colors of your choice.  I used three colors, Aqua, Destiny and Silver Fox but more is fine too.
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks
I picked out all the small pinecones I had, but I did end up using some of the larger ones because I needed more in the end.  I ended up having three different paint sessions because I kept needing more pinecones.
Here are my paint colors.  The Aqua I already had left over from my thrifty lamp makeover.  You can see that post by clicking here.  The other two, Destiny and Silver Fox, I picked up at Lowes for about $4 each.  Visit our blog to see why I won't be using these two again.
Here is my set up for painting.  I set up on our work bench and I laid down a big piece of cardboard so I didn't get paint all over everything.  You could also use a drop cloth or plastic.

NOTE: Please wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself.  The mask is a definite necessity because you DO NOT want to breath those paint fumes into your lungs.
I'm sure I don't have to tell you how hard it is to use a hot glue gun and snap pictures all by yourself, but to assemble your wreath, start out with one color of pinecones adding them to your grapevine wreath here and there and then go on to the next color and so forth and so on until you have your wreath looking the way you want it.....three paint sessions later even! lol!

Please visit our blog for the link to the BH&G video tutorial, its awesome!
I really love how the wreath looks on our freshly painted blue door! 

The best thing about this wreath is that we can leave it up all Winter long! Yay!
If you haven't read my post on Painting a Paneled Door you can click right here.  Its easier than you think!

Thanks for looking!

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
DeeDee

• Vicky Corey
    Vicky Corey

DeeDee, this wreath is beautiful and it looks awesome on your door!! Do you have a blog or something where I can get your updates regularly? I would love too. Everything of yours I've seen so far I am really enjoying! Thanks for sharing!
  • Sharon Parsley
    Sharon Parsley

This is so beautifu! Do you store yours from Fall to Fall?
    • DeeDee
      DeeDee

Hi Sharon! Thanks so very much! Yes, I have many wreaths and when I'm not using them I just put a trash bag over them to keep the dust off. Some I can stack up in top of my closet and others have to be hung up....like this one.
  • Michelle
    Michelle

It's so hard to get the cones to stick because the surface on pinecones is not flat, nor is the grape wreath full of a decent surface and the tips of the "seeds" are all different! Did you just use massive amounts of the glue or what? It's so frusterating.

• ShelbyNeen
    ShelbyNeen

Love IT !!!!

The colors you chose, the ribbon, the front door - they all work together

-

On my "to do" list now. Thank you Dee Dee.

• DeeDee
      DeeDee

Hi Shelby! Thank you so much and have fun with making yours! :)

• That is fantastic!! Awesome work & imagination. I’m so impressed!!!!😃