DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Holiday Ombre Pinecone Wreath

$8

Gather up some pinecones, I've got a pretty holiday idea for you! I'm going to be honest, this is not one of my quick and simple crafts that I normally like to do. It's a bit of a chore, but its so worth it!

I came across this wreath idea via BH&G (Better Homes and Garden) and I "needed" one too! It was not only beautiful, but it was a perfect color scheme for my freshly painted front door.
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
My Mama has two giant pine trees in her front yard and at almost any given time you can gather up quite a few pinecones for crafting.  We happen to have several bags full because I'm always "going to make something" with them and then I don't.  Sound familiar?

If you have just picked up your pinecones, you may want to de-bug and fully open them. Please visit our blog for a link for the how-to.  I've had mine for over a year so they are all open and buggie free!
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
You will need the following items to make your own wreath:

18" Grapevine Wreath (I usually get mine at Goodwill or thrift stores)
Lots of pinecones (I used 42), the smaller the better.  The larger ones are harder to work with.
Spray Paint - Colors of your choice.  I used three colors, Aqua, Destiny and Silver Fox but more is fine too.
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
I picked out all the small pinecones I had, but I did end up using some of the larger ones because I needed more in the end.  I ended up having three different paint sessions because I kept needing more pinecones.
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
Here are my paint colors.  The Aqua I already had left over from my thrifty lamp makeover.  You can see that post by clicking here.  The other two, Destiny and Silver Fox, I picked up at Lowes for about $4 each.  Visit our blog to see why I won't be using these two again.
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
Here is my set up for painting.  I set up on our work bench and I laid down a big piece of cardboard so I didn't get paint all over everything.  You could also use a drop cloth or plastic.

NOTE: Please wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself.  The mask is a definite necessity because you DO NOT want to breath those paint fumes into your lungs.
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
I'm sure I don't have to tell you how hard it is to use a hot glue gun and snap pictures all by yourself, but to assemble your wreath, start out with one color of pinecones adding them to your grapevine wreath here and there and then go on to the next color and so forth and so on until you have your wreath looking the way you want it.....three paint sessions later even! lol!

Please visit our blog for the link to the BH&G video tutorial, its awesome!
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
I really love how the wreath looks on our freshly painted blue door! 

The best thing about this wreath is that we can leave it up all Winter long! Yay!
holiday ombre pinecone wreath
If you haven't read my post on Painting a Paneled Door you can click right here.  Its easier than you think!

Thanks for looking!
DeeDee

• Kena Waggoner

Will this hold up out in the weather? Or should I use another method to hold it all together? My mom loved pine cones and I'm thinking of making one for her graveside.
    • What glue do you think should hold up in cold weather? I'm wondering whether ordinary glue stick would stand up to east coast winters

• Vicky Corey

DeeDee, this wreath is beautiful and it looks awesome on your door!! Do you have a blog or something where I can get your updates regularly? I would love too. Everything of yours I've seen so far I am really enjoying! Thanks for sharing!
  • Sharon Parsley

This is so beautifu! Do you store yours from Fall to Fall?
    • DeeDee

Hi Sharon! Thanks so very much! Yes, I have many wreaths and when I'm not using them I just put a trash bag over them to keep the dust off. Some I can stack up in top of my closet and others have to be hung up....like this one.

• 169756

This isn't necessarily a holiday wreath. It is gorgeous. Love the colors chosen.
    • DeeDee

Hi Kathleen! Thanks so much and I agree, but that's what I was originally going for so that's what I named it. Haha! I'll be leaving it up all Winter I'm sure. :)

• Sassy

Very pretty...love using pinecones in wreaths. I mix pinecones in my xmas wreaths for the gravesite. I wire them in and they hold up very well. I've glitter

sprayed them but I will try you paint idea for home.

• DeeDee

Thanks so much! Its a lot of work, but well worth it in the end! :)