C. D. Scallan
C. D. Scallan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Saint Amant, LA

Highlighting Childhood Memories

$5
1 Day

The weekly challenge is to "light it up" and I wanted to try out something I haven't done yet. These little fairy lights are so popular that it was kind of hard to find some locally. I actually stumbled upon some accidentally and this is what I came up with for my coffee table.
I collected a bunch of pine cones from the park where I take walks and soaked them in a cup of bleach and enough water to cover
highlighting childhood memories
I collected a bunch of pine cones from the park where I take walks and soaked them in bleach and enough water to cover them overnight. In the morning, I laid them out on a newspaper to dry. Normally, I would have laid them out in the sun, but we haven't seen the sun for days so....
highlighting childhood memories
When the pine cones were finally dry, I gathered the rest of the things that I might use: fairy lights, cotton balls, flat marbles and one of my favorite old ornaments from my childhood, a glass snowman, along with a tall glass chimney I got at flea market for a dollar.
highlighting childhood memories
I unraveled cotton balls and used them at the base of the chimney to hide the battery box . Then I tossed in some flat clear marbles and pine cones, all the while feeding the light wire around them and into the chimney.
highlighting childhood memories
Since I am the queen of the Pinterest fails, it is no surprise that some of my pine cones started to fall apart. I just wrapped them up in cotton and kept going 😄
highlighting childhood memories
Here's what old Frosty looks like lit up on the coffee table. He's so old that I'm scared to hang him on the tree but now he new life!

• Wendy

How magical!! I love the nostalgia :)
    • C. D. Scallan

As do I. I have several of these old glass ornaments that I have been incorporating into centerpieces and other decor because I'm afraid that the top will fall off or my rambunctious grandson will knock it off and break it .