Megan Aubrey
Megan Aubrey
  • Forest, VA

How to Clean Feather Pillows

I never thought I would say this, but I actually think the more you clean, the more you actually want to clean. It is addicting to look at the immediate results of your hard work. You see the sparkling surfaces, smell the freshly scented air, and your whole life starts to look a little crisper and clearer. So I want to keep that feeling going by adding more cleanliness and purity to my life.
So when I went
how to clean feather pillows, cleaning tips
Grab your feather pillows – whether sleeping or inserts. We are just talking feather pillows now because cotton and other fills are different to clean.
Wash two pillows at a time to balance the washer. I also recommend using my no-grate laundry detergent to give a nice fresh scent.
Make sure to wash on delicate!
After the wash cycle toss them into the dryer on your hottest setting with a tennis ball, clean tennis shoes, or dryer hedge hogs like me! In the beginning I liked to fluff them every 15 minutes and just make sure they were doing okay.
The hedge hogs I used that are made for the dryer. These ensured my pillows were fluffy while also helping them dry quicker!
I was really curious on how these pillows would turn out. For some reason I was dubious if this would work. I am thrilled with how clean, fresh, and fluffy these came out of the dryer. So fluffy. I actually have a Despicable Me unicorn moment (“It’s so FLUFFY!!”)
Megan Aubrey

• Perry Gates

what do you do about feathers flying everywhere? Can’t that clog the dryer? Mine already fly everywhere just taking them out of the pillow cases
    • Toni-Maree Bishop

I sew a new cotton pillowcase over the pillow, encasing it and machine stitching it closed then wash and dry as usual and voila you have a new pillow! The inside older cover is now clean and adding more stuffing to your pillow as it ages thnx tm elaundry co.

• Reenaroc

Thank You Megan for you expert advice & where did you get your cute Hedge Hogs for the dryer?  Love Them!
    • Carey

For your information, putting the pillows in HOT water and HOT dryer can make the feathers or down really stink and nothing you do will change that. New pillows were my only option.
  • Danette

How do I clean non feather yellow pillows so they are white again?

• Dfm

when i wash my down filled items, i use a product specific to down, and put several tennis balls in the dryer to fluff the down up.

• Teach_manners

I wash my down pillows and down comforters every 6 months, they are 24 years old!!

Hot hot water, 2 cups bleach , regular laundry soap, AFTER I soak them in my sink in just laundry soap, since I have a front loader.

To dry: 4-6 tennisballs and 4 large balls of crumbled foil, they get very hot and speed up drying big time. They are always in my dryer!

my pillows are thick and fluffy, smell wonderful and no bacteria from hair/face. Feel warmer also.