Sew Easy Cafe Curtains

$25

These guys are SO easy to make – they would make a great beginning sewing project if you’re just starting out. All that’s required to sew these easy DIY cafe curtains is a bit of measuring, some pressing, and some machine hemming. Simple!
sew easy cafe curtains
First, Install your cafe rod onto your window frame. I chose to install mine halfway down the frame and directly onto the outer side of the window trim.
Measure from the rod to where you want the curtains to hang. Mine falls just below the bottom trim. Add 2 inches to get the height of your panels (3 inches for the top and bottom hem minus one inch for the drop of the curtain clips).
The width of each of your panels will be the width between your curtain rod brackets plus 2 inches (to account for the side hems). I like to make my curtains 2x the width of my windows so that they have a lot of body even when closed.
Cut two panels that are the height and width that you’ve calculated out of your fabric. Use a straight edge to ensure the  panels are nice and square and make sure you watch for fabric grain and/or pattern direction before you cut.
sew easy cafe curtains
Fold all of the sides of your panels over 1/2″ and press.
Fold them over another 1/2″ and press to create the side hems.
Sew about 1/8″ from the fold.
sew easy cafe curtains
Fold the tops and bottoms of the panels over 1/2″ and press.
Fold them over another 1″ and press to create the top and bottom hems.

sew easy cafe curtains
You can then add some trim to the bottom hems by stitching some over the lower hem. I hung my lace over the hem so that you could see its detail.
sew easy cafe curtains
Clip the curtain rings onto your panels by measuring the panels to make sure the clips are evenly spaced.

sew easy cafe curtains
Thread the rings onto your curtain rod and you’re done!

Christina Dennis

• Aga27677615

What do you think about a pocket for the rod and a 2" ruffle above the pocket instead of rings?
    • Neva Dew

That would work - just be a different look. Also I think a 2" header over the rod pocket would be a little too much for short curtains such as these. Maybe an inch to 1 1/2 inches at the most.
  • LaDawn Fritcher

I love how You’ve organized your laundry room! I have a mudroom/laundry area.... hahaha not like this at all. One question? What brand is that broom? I have Tomorser everything and have it shipped!thanks in advance!
    • Grammy G

Looks like you also covered the ironing board hanging on the wall. How much yardage did that take and how did you finish the edges to keep it from wrinkling when you use it as an ironing board.

• Blythe Babb

Where did you find those curtain rings?

• Dukiemom

I have the same fabric! I have pillows made for my sunroom in that same fabric. You’ve inspired me to make the curtains for my bay windows like this. I’ve been looking everywhere for patterns or ones to buy (could not find). Now I have the answer! Thanks!
  • LaDawn Fritcher